Where do we go from here to improve the team?

Sydla

Reaction score
This is an exercise in futility because we know that the Jones won't do squat in FA other than some bargain signings. And they are missing a few middle round picks due to trades. But I'd love to see them spend a little in FA and possibly even consider a trade down in the 1st to add a couple more picks.

In FA, I think you have to bring in DT help (regardless of what Hankins decides), an inside LB and a vet TB. And they can make some moves that don't break the bank here. So no, they don't have to (nor would they) go after a Chris Jones at DT or a Josh Jacobs at TB (although with Jerry, it would be pretty predictably stupid that the first time he spends big in FA in years would be on a running back). Patrick Queen is going to get a ton in FA at LB, so put him out of your mind.

DT - Rankins is a guy to look at but if you look at Spotrac, which tries to estimate contracts, they have him at a $10MM AAV. So he's probably a non-starter. Kinlaw is an interesting guy. Not sure what the 49ers are going to do with him. Justin Jones is another name though he might get paid. DaQuon Jones is another name. We will likely settle in the Linval Joseph, past his prime bucket, if we bring in DT help at all.

LB - Jewel from Denver seems like an ideal option. Probably won't be expensive and is a solid, if unspectacular LB. You could also see what Bobby Wagner is up to. With Carroll now out as HC, wonder if Wagner might be up to one last run here? Put Queen and White out of your minds. We ain't paying either of those guys.

RB - I get he's older but we only need him for a year or two - Henry. He's not going to get a lot (at least I don't think he will) given the market will be dominated by Barkley and Jacobs. With Kyren Williams being such a big success in LA, Ekeler will likely not be back with the Chargers but I am not sure he's what we would want at TB right now. Will be interesting to see what Philly does with D'Andre Swift now that Moore is the OC. Maybe a bruiser like Gus Edwards out of Baltimore?

I am sure they will also look at CB in FA as they typically do, whether that means Gilmore is back or they settle on Bland outside and look for a slot guy (please, not Jordan Lewis).

kskboys

Reaction score
If we're going w/ the current cast, the first step would be to extend Dak and kick salary down the road. Now, I'm not for that, but I don't see any other way to bring in the required talent.

Aven8

Reaction score
I have no idea yet. They are so spend happy with our own and so cheap when it comes to FA. A lot of unknowns currently with DQ in flux, and Dak’s contract. Add in Lamb’s new contract, and Micah’s 5th year option as well.

The draft is a big deal and they did not really get anything out of this last class yet. If you’re going to go that route you have to nail it like Detroit did.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Addressing any area of need, needs to actually happen and not a bunch of fans on a forum whining about the lack of talented depth.
LB - Though injuries are the culprit, there was time to make moves other than moving smaller players.
RB - Absolutely did nothing. At all. In fact, we took steps backward.
O line - I don't expect our defense to bail us out when we need a serious stop, so might as well get the O line built up. It's a mess.
The staff isn't very good in FA.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I just don’t want more of the exact same…pushing cap dollars down the road with restructures but still don’t bring in the necessary players to get over the top.

Either put yourself in a spot to have a real chance for the next two years or blow it up entirely.

They just can’t tell the difference. They overrate their own personnel repeatedly and the crew of hired yes men back it up.

kskboys

Reaction score
I have no idea yet. They are so spend happy with our own and so cheap when it comes to FA. A lot of unknowns currently with DQ in flux, and Dak’s contract. Add in Lamb’s new contract, and Micah’s 5th year option as well.

The draft is a big deal and they did not really get anything out of this last class yet. If you’re going to go that route you have to nail it like Detroit did.
Which means trading your QB for multiple 1st round picks.

kskboys

Reaction score
Addressing any area of need, needs to actually happen and not a bunch of fans on a forum whining about the lack of talented depth.
LB - Though injuries are the culprit, there was time to make moves other than moving smaller players.
RB - Absolutely did nothing. At all. In fact, we took steps backward.
O line - I don't expect our defense to bail us out when we need a serious stop, so might as well get the O line built up. It's a mess.
The staff isn't very good in FA.
The 2nd part of your first sentence was entirely unnecessary and ruined a good post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
  • Draft some monster LBs and DL that can be play immediately.
  • Draft a RB that can play immediately.
  • Draft at least two OL that can play.
  • I would consider drafting a QB early but we all know that will never happen here.
  • Whatever holes remain must be filled with FA starters (won’t happen- SJ will tell we can’t do it because of cap restrictions)

Aven8

Reaction score
Which means trading your QB for multiple 1st round picks.
I see that as the only way. How can you have Dak, Lamb, Diggs, and Micah playing at the top salaries in the NFL and still fill your roster? Martin is 18 million next season as well.

I know they can move it all around etc but Stephen is just not cut out for this IMO.

kskboys

Reaction score
I see that as the only way. How can you have Dak, Lamb, Diggs, and Micah playing at the top salaries in the NFL and still fill your roster? Martin is 18 million next season as well.

I know they can move it all around etc but Stephen is just not cut out for this IMO.
Yeah, if Dak is actually traded, don't see any way out other than a rebuild.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
First we gotta figure out who they want to bring back and what they want to do with some contracts.

1. MG gotta go need more from our WRs.

2. I know people really liked Cooks, but the guy was underwhelming and I think both his and MG’s spot should look to be upgraded with younger talent.

3. OT are we going to extend 77 if not do we kick Smith out to LT and hope that Bass/Hoffman can win a spot, or you have to look in the draft for a replacement.

4. C. Do we extend or is Hoffman going to get a chance to win this job? The dude is tough as nails and has a nasty streak this Oline could use.

5. LB I don’t care how we do it be it draft/FA, but this is the biggest issue on the team and would be my biggest priority. Excellent LB play can mask a lot of deficiencies on the defense.

6. DT- need Mazi to make a leap, is big Hankins gonna comeback? This outside of LB is the next major hole that needs to be addressed.

7. DE this is the spot where I think we’re gonna see some major turnover. Will Tank be back? Fowler? I want to keep Armstrong. You have to make a Sam Williams decision he’s a boneheaded player with talent.

8. Safety- JK can go, I think we have some good young talent here that is going to step into the defense.

9. CB- Are you ok with moving on from Gillmore? With Diggs coming back he and bland can man the outside. So do bring Lewis back?

10. RB- get me a guy like Josh Jacob’s or take a flier on a guy like Barkley and draft a bruiser in the later rounds. But TP can move on.

Coaching- where do you go with the defense what philosophy are they going to run with?

QB/Trade/Micah- Dak gonna be here whether anyone likes it or not it is what it is. Do they extended him or restructure that contract with the 2 years they have? If DQ goes do you try and fleece some team for picks for Micah? Lots of holes on the defense that can be filled with good young talent in the draft if you were to consider this option.

Culture- needs to change. These whiny players are not going to win anything. They’re entitled and they don’t have the heart or desire to be the best. The priorities are elsewhere at all times. It’s an infection that has plagued this franchise.

quickccc

Reaction score
This is an exercise in futility because we know that the Jones won't do squat in FA other than some bargain signings. And they are missing a few middle round picks due to trades. But I'd love to see them spend a little in FA and possibly even consider a trade down in the 1st to add a couple more picks.

In FA, I think you have to bring in DT help (regardless of what Hankins decides), an inside LB and a vet TB. And they can make some moves that don't break the bank here. So no, they don't have to (nor would they) go after a Chris Jones at DT or a Josh Jacobs at TB (although with Jerry, it would be pretty predictably stupid that the first time he spends big in FA in years would be on a running back). Patrick Queen is going to get a ton in FA at LB, so put him out of your mind.

DT - Rankins is a guy to look at but if you look at Spotrac, which tries to estimate contracts, they have him at a $10MM AAV. So he's probably a non-starter. Kinlaw is an interesting guy. Not sure what the 49ers are going to do with him. Justin Jones is another name though he might get paid. DaQuon Jones is another name. We will likely settle in the Linval Joseph, past his prime bucket, if we bring in DT help at all.

LB - Jewel from Denver seems like an ideal option. Probably won't be expensive and is a solid, if unspectacular LB. You could also see what Bobby Wagner is up to. With Carroll now out as HC, wonder if Wagner might be up to one last run here? Put Queen and White out of your minds. We ain't paying either of those guys.

RB - I get he's older but we only need him for a year or two - Henry. He's not going to get a lot (at least I don't think he will) given the market will be dominated by Barkley and Jacobs. With Kyren Williams being such a big success in LA, Ekeler will likely not be back with the Chargers but I am not sure he's what we would want at TB right now. Will be interesting to see what Philly does with D'Andre Swift now that Moore is the OC. Maybe a bruiser like Gus Edwards out of Baltimore?

I am sure they will also look at CB in FA as they typically do, whether that means Gilmore is back or they settle on Bland outside and look for a slot guy (please, not Jordan Lewis).

I’m for building/re-building the coaching staff first.

The Senior Bowl/East West Shrine college all star games is here this week, and are we ok with going with the same ole OL coach, same ole RB coaches, that will meet with regarded NFL prospects at OL and RB ?

We haven’t dismissed or changed or interviewed other coaching candidates – and if there is a consideration, are we going to await until al of the better position coaches are already taken up by other NFL teams ?

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
Do we all forget that this is the time of year that we look at where things are at, and who will be available to make our team compete in order to acheive our goals? Do we all forget that none of the sensible things listed in this thread will come true, and we will wait until roster cuts/leftovers are all that is left to choose from? This will be the status quo this off season more than others past because there are large contracts to sign, which will only lead to the excuse of we have no money to spend in areas of greatest concern

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
1. Get a starting NFL RB instead of 3 change of pace backs.
2. Draft a QB
3. Hope the years of heavy drinking liquor finally solves our main problem.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

Nice Wright up.
Unfortunately I don't trust our front office to do anything stupendous.
We will draft conservatively, dumpster dive in free agency and get the same results and fire Mac after another disappointing season.
It's like going to a bad movie when you already know the ending.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Fix the trenches on both sides of the ball. We can draft a RB late rounds.