Where do we go from here to improve the team?

kskboys

Reaction score
Addressing any area of need, needs to actually happen and not a bunch of fans on a forum whining about the lack of talented depth.
LB - Though injuries are the culprit, there was time to make moves other than moving smaller players.
RB - Absolutely did nothing. At all. In fact, we took steps backward.
O line - I don't expect our defense to bail us out when we need a serious stop, so might as well get the O line built up. It's a mess.
The staff isn't very good in FA.
OK, see the bolded. Why do you perceive that as necessary? We're having a discussion.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
OK, see the bolded. Why do you perceive that as necessary? We're having a discussion.
I'm included as "whining on a forum". You know, like when the fan masses are smart enough to realize an issue that the FO doesn't?
Good God you're insane.

kskboys

Reaction score
I'm included as "whining on a forum". You know, like when the fan masses are smart enough to realize an issue that the FO doesn't?
Good God you're insane.
Stop, just stop. Denial is a problem.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
This is an exercise in futility because we know that the Jones won't do squat in FA other than some bargain signings. And they are missing a few middle round picks due to trades. But I'd love to see them spend a little in FA and possibly even consider a trade down in the 1st to add a couple more picks.

In FA, I think you have to bring in DT help (regardless of what Hankins decides), an inside LB and a vet TB. And they can make some moves that don't break the bank here. So no, they don't have to (nor would they) go after a Chris Jones at DT or a Josh Jacobs at TB (although with Jerry, it would be pretty predictably stupid that the first time he spends big in FA in years would be on a running back). Patrick Queen is going to get a ton in FA at LB, so put him out of your mind.

DT - Rankins is a guy to look at but if you look at Spotrac, which tries to estimate contracts, they have him at a $10MM AAV. So he's probably a non-starter. Kinlaw is an interesting guy. Not sure what the 49ers are going to do with him. Justin Jones is another name though he might get paid. DaQuon Jones is another name. We will likely settle in the Linval Joseph, past his prime bucket, if we bring in DT help at all.

LB - Jewel from Denver seems like an ideal option. Probably won't be expensive and is a solid, if unspectacular LB. You could also see what Bobby Wagner is up to. With Carroll now out as HC, wonder if Wagner might be up to one last run here? Put Queen and White out of your minds. We ain't paying either of those guys.

RB - I get he's older but we only need him for a year or two - Henry. He's not going to get a lot (at least I don't think he will) given the market will be dominated by Barkley and Jacobs. With Kyren Williams being such a big success in LA, Ekeler will likely not be back with the Chargers but I am not sure he's what we would want at TB right now. Will be interesting to see what Philly does with D'Andre Swift now that Moore is the OC. Maybe a bruiser like Gus Edwards out of Baltimore?

I am sure they will also look at CB in FA as they typically do, whether that means Gilmore is back or they settle on Bland outside and look for a slot guy (please, not Jordan Lewis).
there is no improving this team. its as good as it gets.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Stop, just stop. Denial is a problem.
I meant what I said. You're crazy. Just stop responding to my posts with your paranoa. I'm talking football, not your looney nonsense.
Seriously, stop responding like you think you know what I'm even saying.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If I was making the calls. I'd have Dak on the trade block. Maybe find my way to the top of the draft to take one of the top 3 QBs. I'd let Mike work with the rookie and Trey Lance this year, but I am not spending big money THIS year in free agency. Clear the cap as much as possible for 25. Hire a new HC in 25, hand him 2 young 1st rd talent QBs to find the next guy,
Another top 10 pick in the 25 draft and cap space to work with. To me this would be the best case since they decided to keep Mike as a lame duck coach.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
This is an exercise in futility because we know that the Jones won't do squat in FA other than some bargain signings. And they are missing a few middle round picks due to trades. But I'd love to see them spend a little in FA and possibly even consider a trade down in the 1st to add a couple more picks.

In FA, I think you have to bring in DT help (regardless of what Hankins decides), an inside LB and a vet TB. And they can make some moves that don't break the bank here. So no, they don't have to (nor would they) go after a Chris Jones at DT or a Josh Jacobs at TB (although with Jerry, it would be pretty predictably stupid that the first time he spends big in FA in years would be on a running back). Patrick Queen is going to get a ton in FA at LB, so put him out of your mind.

DT - Rankins is a guy to look at but if you look at Spotrac, which tries to estimate contracts, they have him at a $10MM AAV. So he's probably a non-starter. Kinlaw is an interesting guy. Not sure what the 49ers are going to do with him. Justin Jones is another name though he might get paid. DaQuon Jones is another name. We will likely settle in the Linval Joseph, past his prime bucket, if we bring in DT help at all.

LB - Jewel from Denver seems like an ideal option. Probably won't be expensive and is a solid, if unspectacular LB. You could also see what Bobby Wagner is up to. With Carroll now out as HC, wonder if Wagner might be up to one last run here? Put Queen and White out of your minds. We ain't paying either of those guys.

RB - I get he's older but we only need him for a year or two - Henry. He's not going to get a lot (at least I don't think he will) given the market will be dominated by Barkley and Jacobs. With Kyren Williams being such a big success in LA, Ekeler will likely not be back with the Chargers but I am not sure he's what we would want at TB right now. Will be interesting to see what Philly does with D'Andre Swift now that Moore is the OC. Maybe a bruiser like Gus Edwards out of Baltimore?

I am sure they will also look at CB in FA as they typically do, whether that means Gilmore is back or they settle on Bland outside and look for a slot guy (please, not Jordan Lewis).
To be honest, I dont know that the talent isnt good enough. It probably has been since 2021. I just think that there is something missing with this team. Even more so than 2021 and 2022. Both those years we could have beat SF if one of two plays went our way. This year we completely laid down in some significant games. Something went backwards

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I have no idea yet. They are so spend happy with our own and so cheap when it comes to FA. A lot of unknowns currently with DQ in flux, and Dak’s contract. Add in Lamb’s new contract, and Micah’s 5th year option as well.

The draft is a big deal and they did not really get anything out of this last class yet. If you’re going to go that route you have to nail it like Detroit did.
Our 2024 cap is jacked up.

They have to make some decisions.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
If I was making the calls. I'd have Dak on the trade block. Maybe find my way to the top of the draft to take one of the top 3 QBs. I'd let Mike work with the rookie and Trey Lance this year, but I am not spending big money THIS year in free agency. Clear the cap as much as possible for 25. Hire a new HC in 25, hand him 2 young 1st rd talent QBs to find the next guy,
Another top 10 pick in the 25 draft and cap space to work with. To me this would be the best case since they decided to keep Mike as a lame duck coach.
In a weird way, I think the cap/Dak problems might have saved Mike for 2024.

Clearly he should have been fired.

But they have a lot on their plate right now.

Finding a new HC would just add to the work load.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
First we gotta figure out who they want to bring back and what they want to do with some contracts.

1. MG gotta go need more from our WRs.

2. I know people really liked Cooks, but the guy was underwhelming and I think both his and MG’s spot should look to be upgraded with younger talent.

3. OT are we going to extend 77 if not do we kick Smith out to LT and hope that Bass/Hoffman can win a spot, or you have to look in the draft for a replacement.

4. C. Do we extend or is Hoffman going to get a chance to win this job? The dude is tough as nails and has a nasty streak this Oline could use.

5. LB I don’t care how we do it be it draft/FA, but this is the biggest issue on the team and would be my biggest priority. Excellent LB play can mask a lot of deficiencies on the defense.

6. DT- need Mazi to make a leap, is big Hankins gonna comeback? This outside of LB is the next major hole that needs to be addressed.

7. DE this is the spot where I think we’re gonna see some major turnover. Will Tank be back? Fowler? I want to keep Armstrong. You have to make a Sam Williams decision he’s a boneheaded player with talent.

8. Safety- JK can go, I think we have some good young talent here that is going to step into the defense.

9. CB- Are you ok with moving on from Gillmore? With Diggs coming back he and bland can man the outside. So do bring Lewis back?

10. RB- get me a guy like Josh Jacob’s or take a flier on a guy like Barkley and draft a bruiser in the later rounds. But TP can move on.

Coaching- where do you go with the defense what philosophy are they going to run with?

QB/Trade/Micah- Dak gonna be here whether anyone likes it or not it is what it is. Do they extended him or restructure that contract with the 2 years they have? If DQ goes do you try and fleece some team for picks for Micah? Lots of holes on the defense that can be filled with good young talent in the draft if you were to consider this option.

Culture- needs to change. These whiny players are not going to win anything. They’re entitled and they don’t have the heart or desire to be the best. The priorities are elsewhere at all times. It’s an infection that has plagued this franchise.
Good stuff.

btw, I never have understood all the Biadasz hate on here. Ridiculous.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
In a weird way, I think the cap/Dak problems might have saved Mike for 2024.

Clearly he should have been fired.

But they have a lot on their plate right now.

Finding a new HC would just add to the work load.
Yeah it seems like Mike and Dak are in it together for 24. I just don't have faith in Jerry to rip the band-aid off with both of them.