Where do you stand on Garrett and why?

morat1959

Reaction score
THIS^

Garrett is NOT an average NFL Head Coach ; he is not below average ... his results are atrocious . His results are clear .

I see Garrett more as a press conference speaker , he has nothing to offer as HC .

JASON GARRETT HAS THE NFL RECORD AS THE COACH WITH THE LONGEST TENURE TO NOT MAKE THE SUPERBOWL . EVER .

NFL RECORD.
But...but...but...we dem Boys! Guzzle Guzzle! You can’t tell the koolaid drinkers anything.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What I wrote was quite appropriate. Maybe you shouldn't critique other peoples posts, and concentrate on writing ones that make sense.

Do you understand what a "thread" is and what Diehard was referring to? He was referring to this topic, and his comment was expressing disappointment in finding the title of the thread was misleading once he read the OP that created the thread. He did not refer to you, or anything you posted, he referred to the "thread" and the deceptive theme of the thread. Nevertheless, you responded as if he was talking about you, and you described what your intention was with "my thread", despite the fact that this was not your thread, or that Diehard did not direct his comments at you or suggest that this was your thread.

TheGoat73

Reaction score
Most if you know I think Garrett sucks, and those of you that have been around for a while know my reasoning. In a nutshell, I think he's arrogant, back stabbed Wade, and has no clue how to properly manage the flow of a game and much less during crunch time. @Idgit is on the other side of the spectrum. He loves his red headed Jesus. Why? I have no clue. Where do you stand and why?

I would welcome a change. Garrett’s Ivy League pedigree is supposedly his selling point. But, I don’t see him outsmarting other coaches.

I’ve seen too many posts about his predictability, tendencies. Other teams have called his teams out for being very predictable.

He has also had several gaffes with clock management under 2 minutes in the half.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Most if you know I think Garrett sucks, and those of you that have been around for a while know my reasoning. In a nutshell, I think he's arrogant, back stabbed Wade, and has no clue how to properly manage the flow of a game and much less during crunch time. @Idgit is on the other side of the spectrum. He loves his red headed Jesus. Why? I have no clue. Where do you stand and why?
There are only 7 active head coaches that have won a SB:
Belichek 6
Gruden 1
Pederson 1
Harbaugh 1
Carrol 1
Payton 1
Tomlin 1

Tomlin and Payton have had HOF QBs basically their entire career.... underachievers?
Gruden's was like 65 years ago and has a lower career win % than JG I believe. After Harbaugh's SB win, his teams have missed the playoffs 4 out of 6 years.
Carrol... had a great 2 year run with the leagues best defense.... and his team has faded out with one of the best QBs in the NFL.
Winning a title is damn hard in this league. The salary cap does EXACTLY what it is supposed to do.
JG has had us in a spot where I felt we were as good as any team in the league 3 out of the last 5 seasons. Our team has had a complete turnover of players since the 2014 season, and we didnt have to suffer through 6 years of absolute sucking to do so. We are a very talented team right now.

There are no sure things in this league, and I believe all of these guys can coach. JG has to deal with stuff others do not have to deal with. I personally like him and am fine with him as our coach. Tomlin is better? look at the talent he has had since taking over the Steelers...... If you give him credit for his lone SB title, you better do the same for the swashbuckling Barry Switzer!

ondaedg

Reaction score
Garrett is a culture coach. He brings a good positive attitude to the sideline every Sunday. His players give maximum effort. He does a nice job managing the JJ relationship.

He is not an Xs and Os coach and never will be. He loses the strategy aspect of football to opposing coaches and struggles making the tactical real-time adjustments. He doesn't counterpunch or provide help to players who are getting beat (see Falcons game).

My $.02

Dre11

Reaction score
Those regular season accomplishments are amazing, aren't they? While other franchises focus on super bowls, certain Dallas fans are stoked about division championships. Yep, that Garrett is a sure HOF'er, but only if the hall is willing to accept mediocrity. You certainly seem to be.

Bottom line, it's success, you said he did nothing. You must have regular season success in order to take the next step. You're a fool if you think they don't focus on super Bowls, that doesn't minimize the importance of the regular season.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There are only 7 active head coaches that have won a SB:
Belichek 6
Gruden 1
Pederson 1
Harbaugh 1
Carrol 1
Payton 1
Tomlin 1

Tomlin and Payton have had HOF QBs basically their entire career.... underachievers?
Gruden's was like 65 years ago and has a lower career win % than JG I believe. After Harbaugh's SB win, his teams have missed the playoffs 4 out of 6 years.
Carrol... had a great 2 year run with the leagues best defense.... and his team has faded out with one of the best QBs in the NFL.
Winning a title is damn hard in this league. The salary cap does EXACTLY what it is supposed to do.
JG has had us in a spot where I felt we were as good as any team in the league 3 out of the last 5 seasons. Our team has had a complete turnover of players since the 2014 season, and we didnt have to suffer through 6 years of absolute sucking to do so. We are a very talented team right now.

There are no sure things in this league, and I believe all of these guys can coach. JG has to deal with stuff others do not have to deal with. I personally like him and am fine with him as our coach. Tomlin is better? look at the talent he has had since taking over the Steelers...... If you give him credit for his lone SB title, you better do the same for the swashbuckling Barry Switzer!
I give Barry credit. Unless you have ever been a head coach in that situation, you cannot appreciate how hard it is to do what he did. I also give Garrett credit in some areas. If he had any pride or guts, he would stand up to Jerry. If he's as good as you think he is, he wouldn't have trouble finding a job where he wouldn't have to put up with the Joneses.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Garrett is a culture coach. He brings a good positive attitude to the sideline every Sunday. His players give maximum effort. He does a nice job managing the JJ relationship.

He is not an Xs and Os coach and never will be. He loses the strategy aspect of football to opposing coaches and struggles making the tactical real-time adjustments. He doesn't counterpunch or provide help to players who are getting beat (see Falcons game).

My $.02
IM curious... if a team is running the ball on the Seahawks... is it Carrol on the sidelines making game time adjustments?
JG was hired to keep him from getting taken away by other teams when he was a hot young OC.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I give Barry credit. Unless you have ever been a head coach in that situation, you cannot appreciate how hard it is to do what he did. I also give Garrett credit in some areas. If he had any pride or guts, he would stand up to Jerry. If he's as good as you think he is, he wouldn't have trouble finding a job where he wouldn't have to put up with the Joneses.

Unless we are in the rooms with JG and JJ, we dont know what the relationship is. That being said, JG played for the Cowboys... who says he wants to go coach anywhere else?

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Unless we are in the rooms with JG and JJ, we dont know what the relationship is. That being said, JG played for the Cowboys... who says he wants to go coach anywhere else?
You are the one that said he had to put up with other stuff!! You must be in the room with them. Coach, call girl, bartender, ship captain? Hmmm?

Reid1boys

Reaction score
You are the one that said he had to put up with other stuff!! You must be in the room with them. Coach, call girl, bartender, ship captain? Hmmm?
other stuff as in teh Cowboys are EASILY the most scrutinized team in all of sports. EVERYTHING that happens with any person associated with the cowboys is blown out of proportion, and JG gets to deal with it. Whether that comes from the actions of the owner, GM, asst coach, player, ball boy, parking lot attendant, or a players spouse. JG has more to deal with than the coach of the bucs.... tenfold.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
other stuff as in teh Cowboys are EASILY the most scrutinized team in all of sports. EVERYTHING that happens with any person associated with the cowboys is blown out of proportion, and JG gets to deal with it. Whether that comes from the actions of the owner, GM, asst coach, player, ball boy, parking lot attendant, or a players spouse. JG has more to deal with than the coach of the bucs.... tenfold.
Every coach deals with that crap. Can you focus on the actual game. That's where he is weak, actual in game coaching and management.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Every coach deals with that crap. Can you focus on the actual game. That's where he is weak, actual in game coaching and management.
Ill ask again... when a team is running on the Seahawks... you think Carrol is off to the side designing plays and making defensive adjustments to stop it?

The past 3-4 years Id say JG has been more aggressive on 4th downs than ANY coach in the league and it has helped us win games. Today, going for it on 4th down seems to be en vogue.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ill ask again... when a team is running on the Seahawks... you think Carrol is off to the side designing plays and making defensive adjustments to stop it?

The past 3-4 years Id say JG has been more aggressive on 4th downs than ANY coach in the league and it has helped us win games. Today, going for it on 4th down seems to be en vogue.
He started going on fourth down after we lost to the Texans. It's one thing g to go for it, it's another thing to have a good play for it. He had no control over Linehan and game plans are put in During the week, not running around during the game. Pencil pushers don't understand these things. If you haven't felt the stress and speed of the game from a sideline with a headset on, you would never know.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
He started going on fourth down after we lost to the Texans. It's one thing g to go for it, it's another thing to have a good play for it. He had no control over Linehan and game plans are put in During the week, not running around during the game. Pencil pushers don't understand these things. If you haven't felt the stress and speed of the game from a sideline with a headset on, you would never know.
well, JG is weak to the tune of a higher win % than much of the current NFL head coaches... and like I said, only 7 coaches have a SB win.... 6 of them have ONE WIN!

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I bet we ended up top-5 in the league in 4th down attempts last season. And probably had a successful record with them, overall, given Zeke, Dak, and our OL.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
well, JG is weak to the tune of a higher win % than much of the current NFL head coaches... and like I said, only 7 coaches have a SB win.... 6 of them have ONE WIN!
I bet we ended up top-5 in the league in 4th down attempts last season. And probably had a successful record with them, overall, given Zeke, Dak, and our OL.
Ok. I stand corrected. Garrett is a hall of famer! Lol!! Blinders are a wonderful thing.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ok. I stand corrected. Garrett is a hall of famer! Lol!! Blinders are a wonderful thing.

Looked it up. On offense we were tied for 5th on 4th down attempts last season, and only 16th on conversion percentage.

And I didn't say it suggested the coach was a hall of famer. Only that it's another example of a damning criticism that doesn't really have teeth.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Looked it up. On offense we were tied for 5th on 4th down attempts last season, and only 16th on conversion percentage.

And I didn't say it suggested the coach was a hall of famer. Only that it's another example of a damning criticism that doesn't really have teeth.
Number of attempts isn't the issue. The timing of those attempts and the plays called is my issue.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
i will say this I don't believe that Jason garrett will ever win a divisional playoff game as a head coach of the dallas cowboys