Where do you stand on Garrett and why?

slomoxn

Reaction score
I don’t think he’s a horrible or even a bad coach, I can’t find any strengths that make him stand out but a few glaring weaknesses. One and primary is he isn’t that good of a coach. He’s good enough to win games provides everything goes right but not able to plan or adjust when things go wrong.

Even when winning with league high victories he isn’t able to step up in the post season. He’s just god enough to get there but goes in with the same level he got there in. Every other coach in the post season elevates their game and the teams game, Garrett is unable to rise to that level, otherwise I’d say keep him. As it is churn the roster, the assistant coaches are out shining him.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Most if you know I think Garrett sucks, and those of you that have been around for a while know my reasoning. In a nutshell, I think he's arrogant, back stabbed Wade, and has no clue how to properly manage the flow of a game and much less during crunch time. @Idgit is on the other side of the spectrum. He loves his red headed Jesus. Why? I have no clue. Where do you stand and why?
I changed my mind...
I'd have one foot standing on his face so he'll panic and do stupid things and I can use my other foot to kick away his flailing arms.
His legs will never get to me...

DuncanIso

Reaction score
He does not control the team the way Laundry did, who called all the plays on O and D.

He delegates and leads.

Jerry does not want him being hands on during the games, which is why we had the defensive collapse vs the Rams.

kskboys

Reaction score
Meh.

I'll start believing in Garrett when admits the Esco pick was just stupid, NT's are useful and necessary, and OL's must be at a minimum able to not be pushed backward.

IF JG has learned, he'd make a better GM than HC. However, that's only if he's learned his lessons about personnel and team building. Did he learn about RB's when he let Murray walk and tried to replace him w/ Underoos and Methuselah? Does JG even understand that Cooper does not have the arm for the NFL? Does JG now understand that you just don't throw low percentage downfield passes on 4th down? Especially in the playoffs!!!!

Let's see, what else..........Has he learned yet how important interior pressure and S's are? Does he understand what lateral agility, burst, and leverage are and how they make/break a player?

TWOK11

Reaction score
He’s an above average NFL coach with some significant flaws but who is generally loved by his players and gets the most out of them. His guys play HARD for him and it shows.

I feel that our problems during his time as HC have far more often been personnel flaws than coaching blunders. The fact that he went 8-8 in 2011, 2012 and 2013 with the MISERABLE OL and defensive personnel was a true accomplishment. None of those teams had any business being in the playoff hunt in week 17.

2016 was an incredible coaching job, that team could have folded when Romo went down and instead had one of the best regular seasons in franchise history despite below average defensive talent.

2015 and 2017 were both failures, though it is hard to blame 2015 on the coach when we lost so many starters to injury.

Overall I think Garrett can win a SB under the right conditions and we could definitely do so much worse.

Fire407

Reaction score
He does not control the team the way Laundry did, who called all the plays on O and D.

He delegates and leads.

Jerry does not want him being hands on during the games, which is why we had the defensive collapse vs the Rams.
Garrett does not delegate and lead. Jerry delegates for him. Garrett is only allowed to call timeouts and decide whether to go for 1 or 2 points after a TD. Jerry has neutered him to protect him from being responsible.

Hadenough

Reaction score
I really hate that Garretts offensive philosophy doesnt game plan specific for opponents. That always comes back to bite him when the team makes the playoffs.
You watch the teams that have smart innovative coaching and they find ways to develop mismatches and take advantage of them. The little details of game management always set Garrett up for failure too.
When you look at guys like Parcells and Jimmy Johnson they were coaches that were so dedicated to the game they spent too much time in the film rooms and would get burned out working 12 hour days. Im guessing Garrett works a 6 hour day and goes home and plays with the kids.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
How do analysts and publications rank Garrett as an above average to average HC if we all see he suks and worst HC in NFL?

DuncanIso

Reaction score
He’s an above average NFL coach with some significant flaws but who is generally loved by his players and gets the most out of them. His guys play HARD for him and it shows.

I feel that our problems during his time as HC have far more often been personnel flaws than coaching blunders. The fact that he went 8-8 in 2011, 2012 and 2013 with the MISERABLE OL and defensive personnel was a true accomplishment. None of those teams had any business being in the playoff hunt in week 17.

2016 was an incredible coaching job, that team could have folded when Romo went down and instead had one of the best regular seasons in franchise history despite below average defensive talent.

2015 and 2017 were both failures, though it is hard to blame 2015 on the coach when we lost so many starters to injury.

Overall I think Garrett can win a SB under the right conditions and we could definitely do so much worse.

You should rewatch the Rams.

Marinelli did a fine job.

erod

Reaction score
I give Garrett much more credit that most, but I think it's time for a change.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
How do analysts and publications rank Garrett as an above average to average HC if we all see he suks and worst HC in NFL?

He doesn't coach like Landry,, who called every play.

He delegates to the ST, OC, and DC.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Top five tenured head coaches in the NFL

Belichick 2000 - Super Bowl X6 wins
Payton 2006 - Super Bowl win
Tomlin 2007 - Super Bowl win
Garrett 2010
Caroll 2010 - Super Bowl win

One of these things is not like the others
Pete Carroll won a championship, went to 2 super bowls and has 9 playoff wins. Take the possum completely out of the picture, he doesn't even belong there. lol
I will add to the JG resume:
As HC
the good
3 div titles
2 playoff wins
the bad and the ugly
3 div round losses 0 wins 0-3
0-3 in win and your in games (playoffs)
made playoffs 3 times in 9 years as HC

Since he has been here, he was OC then OC asst HC till 2010
so lets add that in
the good
5 div titles
3 playoff wins ( offense scored 17 and 3 points in these 2 playoff games they lost 07,09 ) they beat phil dont know the score, but O was better in that game.
the bad and the ugly
5 div round losses 0 wins
made playoffs 5 times in 12 years

so 5 times to div round all losses with a scoring avg of 16 points per game.
The last 3 as HC, they avg 24 I think, I think they scored 24 in each game , which isnt bad, but the other teams all scored more JG was not OC or playcaller
in these, which is why they put up more points.So linehan avg the 24 a game which is close to being good enough.
The 2 div losses when he was OC the offense avg 10 points a game with Romo at qb. that is pretty bad, and why he should have never
been made HC and play caller / OC.