Where does Dez rank in the all time great lists amongst cowboys WRs

4lifecowboy

Reaction score
Romo's gunslinger tendencies absolutely made Dez. It's a shame he waited till his physical abilities were gone to work on his craft. Maybe he would've lived up to all the pre-draft hype if he had. Still a much better player than CeeDee Lamb will ever be.
Made Dez? No sir, his abilities suited Romo's style is the better way to say that. To discredit Bryant's elite abilities is ridiculous. I'm 100 percent certain I saw an interview where Romo said he told Dez how he wanted him to run his route and he would get him the ball, because he would be unstoppable if he did.

Reactions: BAT

PhillyCowboysFan

Reaction score
I figured I would include reasons:

Michael Irvin - Passionate, fearless, hard worker, and his desire to win was unmatched. Loved how he said he would cry because the Cowboys were losers when he first got to Dallas, and guys were saying don't worry because they still were going to pick up their checks on Monday. Love how he "ratted" on guys who didn't belong on the team when Jimmy Johnson became coach. "He doesn't want to win, and he doesn't want to win. He's gotta go."
Loved how he wanted the ball in crunch time and how he explained that all players don't want to be the man because they fear failing.
Always wanted the ball in his hands. Knew what routes to run and was an inspirational leader on the sideline. Even Aikman said he could close his eyes, throw the ball and know Michael would be there.

Bob Hayes - the fastest man to play the game and the "creator" of the zone defense. ;)

Drew Pearson - Mr. Clutch. He always found a way to get open. Staubach's favorite target. Hated in Minnesota to this day. :laugh:

Terrell Owens - even though I didn't want him on the team, no one can dispute his work ethic. And he was one of the best downfield blocking wide receivers in league history. Brought excitement to the game with his popcorn stunts. All great receivers are selfish, but his type of selfishness - unlike Irvin's - tore teams apart, which is why three got rid of him before his talents diminished.

Dez Bryant - Best "go-up-and-get-it" receiver in Cowboys history. Passionate but didn't have the credentials like Irvin did, so when he started demanding the ball, it became more irritating than earnest. His inability to adjust to the game along with his built-in receiver selfishness Garrett took the wrong way led to his early departure.

Tony Hill - Almost the forgotten receiver opposite Drew Pearson, but Hill had his big moments. Probably would have had more stats if he played in an era of the passing game.

Alvin Harper - Had some of the biggest moments in the biggest games. What Cowboys fan can forget "The Catch 2" in the 93 NFC Championship Game. But he thrived more because of his height and the weapons around him than his overall talent. Disappeared when he left Dallas for Tampa Bay.

This list is also my opinion! But I’m just not sure about Harp, might out Glenn over him.

khiladi

Reaction score
TO was being used as a possession receiver in Garrett’s offense, with very little motion or from the slot. They basically utilized him contrary to his greatest skill-sets and he still produced.

Garrett sucked. The Giants experience proved once and for all, the guy was completely clueless.

Reactions: BAT

Scotman

Reaction score
A GREAT question with all-but-impossible comparisons. I love it.

1) Bob Hayes. I think some of you just never saw him play. There are some track stars that also happen to play football. Hayes was a football star that happened to run track. Top 5 all time WR IMO.
2) Michael Irvin. Emmitt was the engine. Aikman was the control system. Irvin was the fuel. He was the heart and soul of the team.
3) Drew Pearson. Just an all around amazing receiver. Elevated his game when you needed him.
4) Tony Hill. Super smart. Quick. Terrific YAC receiver. Took over the number 1 role after Pearson retired.
5) Dez Bryant. Physically gifted. Passionate. Wasn't nearly the distraction some think he was. Lots of heart and soul but it never translated into post season wins.
6) Noah Brown. I'm kidding. But he's had a couple good games and I'm prone to recency bias. :)
6) Terrell Owens. If I could think of any justification to leave TO off this list, I would. The only receiver on this list more physically gifted was Hayes. But I never saw TO as a Cowboy. He was a mercenary who traveled the globe without ever winning a war. I don't hate the guy, but I would take any of those listed before him (ok...probably not Brown).

kskboys

Reaction score
A GREAT question with all-but-impossible comparisons. I love it.

1) Bob Hayes. I think some of you just never saw him play. There are some track stars that also happen to play football. Hayes was a football star that happened to run track. Top 5 all time WR IMO.
2) Michael Irvin. Emmitt was the engine. Aikman was the control system. Irvin was the fuel. He was the heart and soul of the team.
3) Drew Pearson. Just an all around amazing receiver. Elevated his game when you needed him.
4) Tony Hill. Super smart. Quick. Terrific YAC receiver. Took over the number 1 role after Pearson retired.
5) Dez Bryant. Physically gifted. Passionate. Wasn't nearly the distraction some think he was. Lots of heart and soul but it never translated into post season wins.
6) Noah Brown. I'm kidding. But he's had a couple good games and I'm prone to recency bias. :)
6) Terrell Owens. If I could think of any justification to leave TO off this list, I would. The only receiver on this list more physically gifted was Hayes. But I never saw TO as a Cowboy. He was a mercenary who traveled the globe without ever winning a war. I don't hate the guy, but I would take any of those listed before him (ok...probably not Brown).
4. Frank Clarke. Look him up and read up on him.