Where does Dez rank in the all time great lists amongst cowboys WRs

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I find that Bryant gets severely overvalued by the yutes, mainly because a lot of the younglings have never watched greatness live.

1. Michael Irvin - Close contest with Pearson. But there is no doubt, this man was all about being clutch. I have never seen a hungrier player.
2. Drew Pearson - So so smooth. He set the diecast for the glider mold at WR.
3. Bob Hayes - The dude set the standard for speed.
4. Tony Hill - The player was super-productive and had zero headaches.

Now you can start talking about Dez Bryant, children. He only seems strong because it is all you have seen.

Shane612

Reaction score
I find that Bryant gets severely overvalued by the yutes, mainly because a lot of the younglings have never watched greatness live.

1. Michael Irvin - Close contest with Pearson. But there is no doubt, this man was all about being clutch. I have never seen a hungrier player.
2. Drew Pearson - So so smooth. He set the diecast for the glider mold at WR.
3. Bob Hayes - The dude set the standard for speed.
4. Tony Hill - The player was super-productive and had zero headaches.

Now you can start talking about Dez Bryant, children. He only seems strong because it is all you have seen.
I agree.
All the receivers on your list are better than Dez.
I would even include Butch Johnson and Lance Alworth, if you include his years with the chargers.
There may be others like Alvin Harper.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I agree.
All the receivers on your list are better than Dez.
I would even include Butch Johnson and Lance Alworth, if you include his years with the chargers.
There may be others like Alvin Harper.
Now don’t get all crazy now.

DB_Cooper

RubyRidge
Reaction score
I’d take Antonio Bryant (and he was a nut case) over Dez. I don’t get the love fest for Dez. He was athletic but he often didn’t run the correct routes. A very undisciplined player. We might have made the playoffs in 2017 until he had a complete meltdown when we played the Seahawks. Dez might be the most overrated player in Cowboy’s history.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I’d take Antonio Bryant (and he was a nut case) over Dez. I don’t get the love fest for Dez. He was athletic but he often didn’t run the correct routes. A very undisciplined player. We might have made the playoffs in 2017 until he had a complete meltdown when we played the Seahawks. Dez might be the most overrated player in Cowboy’s history.

Dez definitely benefits from recency bias, but I'm not sure Antonio Bryant is the best argument for it.

SpaceCowboy99

Reaction score
I guess I'm in the minority. I think dez was good and had amazing physical traits but the fact remains. He wouldn't put in the time and effort to learn football. He just wanted to out physical people. He was missing the smart side of it. Learn to run all the routes, learn to outthink your opponent.

Because of that glaring issue I don't think he's a top 5 cowboys receiver all time. Might not even make top 10.

pancakeman

Reaction score
He wasn't better than Dez or any on the elite end of the list, but I'd put Miles Austin on some of these longer lists.

Bates

Reaction score

you’d take Bryant over dez? They played about the same number of years and dez more than doubled Bryant’s touchdown receptions. I get somewhat where you are coming from. I wish dez would have been able to harness his emotions.

DB_Cooper

RubyRidge
Reaction score
you’d take Bryant over dez? They played about the same number of years and dez more than doubled Bryant’s touchdown receptions. I get somewhat where you are coming from. I wish dez would have been able to harness his emotions.
Yup. Bryant only played for us a couple of years. I remember when we drafted him. We thought we got a steal. He did ok with Quincy as his QB. He was the only bright spot on the team for a while. But then kind of lost his marbles. I know he went to SF. Not sure where after that. My big complaint with Des is he could be his most boneheaded at the worst times.

DB_Cooper

RubyRidge
Reaction score
Dez definitely benefits from recency bias, but I'm not sure Antonio Bryant is the best argument for it.
I get that. I was just pointing out we had another 88 we were all excited about for a couple of years. Lamb probably ends up closer to those two and not Irvin or Pearson.

quickccc

Reaction score
1) Michael Irvin
2) Bob Hayes
3) Drew Pearson
4) Terrell Owens
5) Dez Bryant
6) Tony Hill

:dance:

Reactions: BAT

Bates

Reaction score
Yup. Bryant only played for us a couple of years. I remember when we drafted him. We thought we got a steal. He did ok with Quincy as his QB. He was the only bright spot on the team for a while. But then kind of lost his marbles. I know he went to SF. Not sure where after that. My big complaint with Des is he could be his most boneheaded at the worst times.

ok. So they were kind of like 2 sides of the same coin? A little crazy. Dez was significantly better, but I can understand being frustrated with dez’s antics. I did like Bryant and had hoped he would be the next great wr. Those were some dark days. Think Bryant went on to have his best season ever years later with Tampa.

DB_Cooper

RubyRidge
Reaction score
ok. So they were kind of like 2 sides of the same coin? A little crazy. Dez was significantly better, but I can understand being frustrated with dez’s antics. I did like Bryant and had hoped he would be the next great wr. Those were some dark days. Think Bryant went on to have his best season ever years later with Tampa.
That’s right I forgot he went to Tampa.

Dez was better athletically but to me he was always an accident waiting to happen. The infamous fumble in GB…if he just catches the ball and goes down we win that game. But he has to play the hero and the rest is history. What can I say I’m a little bitter…