Where does Dez rank in the all time great lists amongst cowboys WRs

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Nonsense babble

I think he’s on something. Romo was willing to take chances and throw the ball up to Dez. His inability to run routes and separate would’ve been an issue with other QBs. His success came from winning 50-50 balls.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Romo's gunslinger tendencies absolutely made Dez. It's a shame he waited till his physical abilities were gone to work on his craft. Maybe he would've lived up to all the pre-draft hype if he had. Still a much better player than CeeDee Lamb will ever be.

Dez never needed to work on routes in college or with Romo because he was so gifted at going up and winning 50-50 ball battles. When Dak became the QB that changed everything for Dez. Dak wasn’t going to take the chances that Romo did with Dez by throwing the ball up. Once Dez had the foot injury it slowed him down and he couldn’t separate from anyone. This was causing him to become more and more frustrated.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Irvin
Hayes
Pearson
Bryant
Hill
Clark
Harper
Richards
Johnson
Allworth( would be overall higher but didn’t play here long)
Rentzel

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Not bad

I would say 4th is the absolute highest he could ever be,
There is no universe where he had abetter career than Hayes, Owens or Irvin
After that, it becomes more debatable.
He had more years on Owens in terms of being with the Cowboys.
I just think Owens was an overall better receiver than Dez.
Talent wise, Owens was better than Pearson, but Pearson has more of a connection with Cowboys lore than Owens does.

Reactions: BAT

Batman1980

Reaction score
Owens was probably a top 5 all-time talent at WR. Rare specimen with combination of size, speed and hands. I just consider him an Iggle and a 49er and not a Cowboy.

75boyz

Reaction score
Well there's Michael and Drew.

But now that I think on it, I am a 70s guy. So most likely the 60s guys would also have a valid case for Bob Hayes to being on that first line of the most highly accomplished Cowboy receivers.

I think you could start slotting all the rest in after those 3.

Dez might be 4th.

jmo

Batman1980

Reaction score
Well there's Michael and Drew.

But now that I think on it, I am a 70s guy. So most likely the 60s guys would also have a valid case for Bob Hayes to being on that first line of the most highly accomplished Cowboy receivers.

I think you could start slotting all the rest in after those 3.

Dez might be 4th.

jmo

You can't put Dez ahead of Michael.

Cowboysfandarin

Reaction score
It’s really hard to rank because you have different eras. The athletic skill set and abilities of players in the late 80s and early 90s cannot be compared to today’s athletes. That’s why I wouldn’t rank Irvin number one. Now if you’re excluding the different eras than Irvin would be number one.

as far as the most talented play maker to put on a cowboy uniform in the receiver position? That goes to Terrell Owen. Him running across the middle of the field catching the ball and turning it up field, almost unstoppable. He could be the deep ball guy, the jump ball guy, or the check down guy, and he was an all-star at all three of those. Nobody was better at running after the catch than TO.

StarChamber_33

Reaction score
Food for thought, Dez Bryant scored more touchdowns {75} than any player in the history of the Dallas Cowboys with the exception of Emmitt Smith {164}, Tony Dorsett {86}, & Bob Hayes {76}. That's pretty damn impressive..:bow:

Reactions: BAT

kskboys

Reaction score
Dez shouldn't be on that list...

Dez would have failed with most QBs.
- Romo ran around waiting for Dez to get open and Romo was tolerant of the fact that Dez never ran routes correctly.
- Aikman or Brady would never have tolerated Dez.
Route joggers don't belong on top 5 lists.

DallasDomination

Reaction score
Peak Dez is the most talented WR we’ve ever had. He played with horrible coaching where they wanted him to run a hand full of routes with predictable play calling and never moved him around. If he played with another high level team in his era he would of been one of the greats.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Let’s lighten up with the rush/Dak threads? What say you?

What say I? The idiomatic English amuses me as I try to get away from it, perchance. Well, OK on your wont of fewer Rush/Dak threads.
But we all know Rush wins and Dak is very yesterday.

As to your original question, good chap, Dez is strictly second tier.
He's no Reggie Swinton.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
IMO, you have to put Tony Hill ahead of Dez. He made more important plays, and in an era much less favorable to the passing game.

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
What say I? The idiomatic English amuses me as I try to get away from it, perchance. Well, OK on your wont of fewer Rush/Dak threads.
But we all know Rush wins and Dak is very yesterday.

As to your original question, good chap, Dez is strictly second tier.
He's no Reggie Swinton.
Does he look good in the shower me Mattie rrrr me Bucco

Cmac

Reaction score
Anybody putting dez over TO is smoking crack

And yes I'm talking cowboys version TO
Have to agree fully......Dez ain't no T.O.......and numbers verify that. But much love to Dez.....had the passion to win despite the hate and misunderstanding.