Where does Ware rank w/ the top 10 defensive players in the national football league

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
7 or 8 or of these guys go somewhat under the radar b/c they dont have wacky hair or jump every route possible.

1. Ed Reed
2. Demarcus Ware
3. Haloti Ngata
4. Darrel Revis
5. Patrick Willis
6. Nnamdi Ashoumga
7. Charles Woodson
8. Clay Mathews
9. Dwight Freeney
10. Troy Polamalu

Avenging Hayseed

Interwebs fooseball expert
Reaction score
Hate to admit this,.......but I think that Mathews is already better than Ware. Still more than happy to have Demarcus on our side though.....

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
Canadian BoyzFan;3765801 said:
I think Suh from Detroit is already a top 10 player

Thats a great call, I think youre right. He might be 8 or 9. More ferocious and hell-raising than Freeny ATM. And flat out a better player than Polamalu

perrykemp

Reaction score
MarionBarberThe4th;3765794 said:
7 or 8 or of these guys go somewhat under the radar b/c they dont have wacky hair or jump every route possible.

1. Ed Reed
2. Demarcus Ware
3. Haloti Ngata
4. Darrel Revis
5. Patrick Willis
6. Nnamdi Ashoumga
7. Charles Woodson
8. Clay Mathews
9. Dwight Freeney
10. Troy Polamalu

I think Charles Woodson has slipped just a bit -- I think the Packers move him to safety next year and he has another 3-4 good years (ala the end of Rod Woodson's career).

I'd replace him with: Suh OR Lance Briggs. IMHO, Briggs has been the most unappreciated defensive players in the league over the past decade or so.

I dunno if I'd put Matthews ahead of Ware just yet -- although at the end of the day he is quite a bit younger and you wonder if still has a ways to go to reach his full potential.

Ngata is a monster. Having a battering ram NT like that makes everything so much easier for the other 10 guys on defense.

Ed Reed is, quite simply, the best playmaker in the league -- bar none.

basedGAWD

Benched
Reaction score
perrykemp;3765822 said:
I think Charles Woodson has slipped just a bit -- I think the Packers move him to safety next year and he has another 3-4 good years (ala the end of Rod Woodson's career).

I'd replace him with: Suh OR Lance Briggs. IMHO, Briggs has been the most unappreciated defensive players in the league over the past decade or so.

I dunno if I'd put Matthews ahead of Ware just yet -- although at the end of the day he is quite a bit younger and you wonder if still has a ways to go to reach his full potential.

Ngata is a monster. Having a battering ram NT like that makes everything so much easier for the other 10 guys on defense.

Ed Reed is, quite simply, the best playmaker in the league -- bar none.

matthews is better than ware. that is not a slight at ware. but matthews is a lil more consistent and closes the deal on a lot of big plays. ware seems to put himself in the position for a big play, but too many times he slips or misses the qb or doesn't go for the strip instead of the sack. i will say matthews benefits from working with one of the best d-coordinators in the league. we have a bunch of buffoons on our staff.

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
basedGAWD;3765845 said:
matthews is better than ware. that is not a slight at ware. but matthews is a lil more consistent and closes the deal on a lot of big plays. ware seems to put himself in the position for a big play, but too many times he slips or misses the qb or doesn't go for the strip instead of the sack. i will say matthews benefits from working with one of the best d-coordinators in the league. we have a bunch of buffoons on our staff.

He should at least be in the top eight.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
Who is better - Freeney or Jared Allen? Freeney might be the best pure pass rusher in the league but Allen's pass rushing + ability to play the run might vault him into the Top-10 over him. And Elvis Dumervil was injured this year but he could have a case too

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
TheCoolFan;3765861 said:
Who is better - Freeney or Jared Allen?

I think Jared Allen is a bit overrated. Hes got the same awesome hair/media darling thing going that Polamalu does

basedGAWD

Benched
Reaction score
Zimmy Lives;3765849 said:
He should at least be in the top eight.

at this very moment i think he is 10-12. i honestly believe ware still has potential that is unscratched. his intangibles are top 5 as far as athleticism, but he needs to be more of a playmaker.

i'd put cameron wake in my top ten RIGHT NOW.

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
basedGAWD;3765864 said:
at this very moment i think he is 10-12. i honestly believe ware still has potential that is unscratched. his intangibles are top 5 as far as athleticism, but he needs to be more of a playmaker.

i'd put cameron wake in my top ten RIGHT NOW.

Good point. I agree that he does not show up often enough when the game is on the line. However, I still think he is one of the top 8 to 10 players in the league defensively.

Patton

Benched
Reaction score
I don't really want to get into ranking Ware among these other guys because I see every single game he plays and that's not the case with these other players. I feel like this though, Ware has been surrounded with worse supporting casts that a lot of other top players.

SacredStar

Reaction score
basedGAWD;3765845 said:

Ware and Matthews have identical numbers in sacks, tackles, and forced fumbles. Since teams have doubled Matthews lately, his numbers have declined, just as Ware's have declined with him being doubled.

They are dead even.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I've always said that DeMarcus Ware is one of the best players in the NFL. But he doesn't make enough big plays at critical times for my taste.

Yes, he made a sack down the stretch. But top 10 defenders make a sack on 4th and 15. They find some way, any way, to get to the quarterback. Ware doesn't have enough of those plays in him.

basedGAWD

Benched
Reaction score
SacredStar;3765878 said:
Ware and Matthews have identical numbers in sacks, tackles, and forced fumbles. Since teams have doubled Matthews lately, his numbers have declined, just as Ware's have declined with him being doubled.

They are dead even.

you don't see when the plays were made. Ware has had several sacks when the game had already been decided. i dont want to criticize Ware, b/c he is one of the few diamonds surrounded by trash on this team, but I want to see more critical game changing plays from him, similar to the sack on 4th down against New Orleans last year.

SacredStar

Reaction score
basedGAWD;3765911 said:
you don't see when the plays were made. Ware has had several sacks when the game had already been decided. i dont want to criticize Ware, b/c he is one of the few diamonds surrounded by trash on this team, but I want to see more critical game changing plays from him, similar to the sack on 4th down against New Orleans last year.

I gotcha, Clay has made more game changing plays this year, even a few game ending plays.

PBJTime

Semper Fidelis
Reaction score
SacredStar;3765922 said:
I gotcha, Clay has made more game changing plays this year, even a few game ending plays.
Anybody got the numbers on this? I mean, I'd really like to know-

1. What defines "game-changing"?
and
2. How many Ware and Matthews have?

btcutter

Reaction score
Until Clay Mathews is clear random drug testing for a year while continue to produce these numbers I am not putting him in the top 10.

He and Cushings....steroids....

basedGAWD

Benched
Reaction score
PBJTime;3765944 said:
Anybody got the numbers on this? I mean, I'd really like to know-

1. What defines "game-changing"?
and
2. How many Ware and Matthews have?

first thing that comes to mind is his interception touchdown vs. us this year.