Where does Ware rank w/ the top 10 defensive players in the national football league

PBJTime

Semper Fidelis
Reaction score
basedGAWD;3765987 said:
first thing that comes to mind is his interception touchdown vs. us this year.
I mean, I can find examples either way, but I'm really looking for some solid numbers here.:)

SacredStar

Reaction score
PBJTime;3766026 said:
I mean, I can find examples either way, but I'm really looking for some solid numbers here.:)

Game 1 against the Eagles, Vick was driving down the field for the tying score late in the 4th quarter. On the series, Clay sacked Vick on one play, then on 4th and 1, stopped him for no gain, turning the ball over to GB on downs, who ran the clock out by taking the knee on 3 downs.

During the Detroit game, which GB won 28-26, Clay had 1 sack, and two tackles for loss killing Detroit drives.

These are just two I looked up after remembering them.

Eskimo

Reaction score
It'd be great if Ware got a chance to play with a great defensive innovator who could scheme him some opportunities like Capers does for Matthews.

It would also help if he could play with a decent opposite pass rusher. When Ellis was around Ware put up that 20 sack season.

I really hope we pick a front-7 player in this draft who will be a force as a pass rusher.

The secondary can be vastly improved just by bringing in a JAG FA at safety and improved coaching.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
MarionBarberThe4th;3765794 said:
7 or 8 or of these guys go somewhat under the radar b/c they dont have wacky hair or jump every route possible.

1. Ed Reed
2. Demarcus Ware
3. Haloti Ngata
4. Darrel Revis
5. Patrick Willis
6. Nnamdi Ashoumga
7. Charles Woodson
8. Clay Mathews
9. Dwight Freeney
10. Troy Polamalu

I'd probably take a healthy Reed, Ngata, Woodson and Polamalu over Ware. Matthews is really close, but I think he has more talent around him and a better D-Coordinator. I don't know, it's close. I'd actually put Jared Allen up there as well.

Asomugha is very good, but overrated....he's not a god. Revis is probably better, but he's only done it for about 2 years. Willis is nice, but doesn't seem like an impact player to me. Freeney is good when he's on turf.

For my money, Ngata is the best defensive player in the game right now.

YR

landryscorner

Reaction score
Avenging Hayseed;3765805 said:
Hate to admit this,.......but I think that Mathews is already better than Ware. Still more than happy to have Demarcus on our side though.....

I disagree I think Mathews is just used better under their scheme once again...Coaching

Suave

Reaction score
Hate to admit this,.......but I think that Mathews is already better than Ware. Still more than happy to have Demarcus on our side though.....

I definitely have to agree with this.

Reaction score
LOL at how Low Polamalu is. The hate is unbelievable. Also, Ware is not the 2nd best defensive player in the NFL.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Ware is much more highly rated among NFL coaches, scouts and GMs than among most of the people who have posted in this thread.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
CanuckCowboysFan;3766232 said:
LOL at how Low Polamalu is. The hate is unbelievable. Also, Ware is not the 2nd best defensive player in the NFL.

No one else on the list guesses and gets toasted as much as him.

Sure he will make sportscenter, but his inconsistency drops him to 11-ish

mldardy

Reaction score
basedGAWD;3765845 said:
matthews is better than ware. that is not a slight at ware. but matthews is a lil more consistent and closes the deal on a lot of big plays. ware seems to put himself in the position for a big play, but too many times he slips or misses the qb or doesn't go for the strip instead of the sack. i will say matthews benefits from working with one of the best d-coordinators in the league. we have a bunch of buffoons on our staff.
Matthews is not better or even on the same level as Ware right now. One good season doesn't equal Ware's success since he has been in the league. People always want to go with what is the hot thing at this moment instead of the overall picture. Let's see if Matthews can throw a few back to back seasons like this one before saying he is better than Ware.

mldardy

Reaction score
tyke1doe;3765882 said:
I've always said that DeMarcus Ware is one of the best players in the NFL. But he doesn't make enough big plays at critical times for my taste.

Yes, he made a sack down the stretch. But top 10 defenders make a sack on 4th and 15. They find some way, any way, to get to the quarterback. Ware doesn't have enough of those plays in him.
Really? So we are going to judge him on getting a sack on the last player of a game as a barometer. How many defenders get sacks like this on a consistent basis. Not many if any at all. He's a top 10 defensive player.

Reaction score

:laugh2: Yeah right...

DezBryant88

Reaction score
If Ware had consistent production around him like some of those other players listed then he would be much more effective than he already is. But if all the offense has to worry about is Ware then they can simply double team him whenever necessary to eliminate the threat. Moving him around some helps out but I think he's a liability in coverage.

If it's 4th and 15 and you know nobody is going to get to the QB besides maybe Ware then why not shift the protection to his side or put a RB/TE on his side to help out? Ratliff at DT playing over the ball is virtually guaranteed to get doubled every play anyways and we all know good ole Igor isn't gonna do anything. Hatcher has shown signs of being a player as has Spears, but everytime we blitz Ware that means we may very well be left with Brooking and/or James in pass coverage which isn't a pretty sight. Ware's drop in production I feel is directly related to the lack of consistent help around him.

SSGMIKE

Reaction score
Not sure about dead even? I believe Matthews miss about 3 or 4 games this year and have the same stats as Ware..... Think Ware have drop because of the lack of strength, maybe he need to get stonger like Harrison for Pitt... Not sure why he gets lock up so many time by the O-line.... if he can't get by with his speed he pretty much out of the play.....

SacredStar;3765878 said:
Ware and Matthews have identical numbers in sacks, tackles, and forced fumbles. Since teams have doubled Matthews lately, his numbers have declined, just as Ware's have declined with him being doubled.

They are dead even.

DallasDomination

Reaction score
MarionBarberThe4th;3765794 said:
7 or 8 or of these guys go somewhat under the radar b/c they dont have wacky hair or jump every route possible.

1. Ed Reed
2. Demarcus Ware
3. Haloti Ngata
4. Darrel Revis
5. Patrick Willis
6. Nnamdi Ashoumga
7. Charles Woodson
8. Clay Mathews
9. Dwight Freeney
10. Troy Polamalu

I would take Reed, Polamalu, Ashoumga, Woodson and Revis over Ware right now...You know how hard it is to find a good safety and Corner now a days?

look at us we dont even have 1 extremely good safety or corner on the entire roster....Now that I think of it we havent had a good safety since Roy Williams rookie season and Darren Woodson.

OLB's are a dime a dozen...They are all over the place. It's harder to find a good Nose Tackle.

DallasDomination

Reaction score
mldardy;3766471 said:
Matthews is not better or even on the same level as Ware right now. One good season doesn't equal Ware's success since he has been in the league. People always want to go with what is the hot thing at this moment instead of the overall picture. Let's see if Matthews can throw a few back to back seasons like this one before saying he is better than Ware.

Ware was better but this season doesnt show anything to prove him being better than Mathews. I mean you have to ask yourself how long these pass rushers can actually last. WAre doesnt look like he's getting better, he is who he is and when you dont have help on the other side there is not much you can do.

Mathews on the other hand still has room to improve into a better player. He might not ever have a season like Ware but right now he is better. But honeslty I actually dont think he will lastthat long because he plays out of control. Poor guy unless He's a machine he'll last another 2-3 years at that intensity.

Az Lurker

The Lurker
Reaction score
The knock I hear on Matthews and Wade is while they're great pass rushers they both get targeted in the run game. Ware is a much more complete player thane either one of them, and has done it for many more years in a row.

I doubt that if you polled scouts and GMs that there would be any front 7 player that they'd consistantly rank as better than Ware