Where does Ware rank w/ the top 10 defensive players in the national football league

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
Matthews has cooled off significantly over the last 6 games. If this is a down year for Ware, he still has the same number of sacks as Matthews.

Scouts have said that a large part of Matthews success is the way Capers has utilized him in that scheme. Keep in mind that he's got the much better coordinator and is playing with a Defensive Player of the Year in the secondary.

Trendnet

Reaction score
DezBryant88;3766598 said:
If Ware had consistent production around him like some of those other players listed then he would be much more effective than he already is. But if all the offense has to worry about is Ware then they can simply double team him whenever necessary to eliminate the threat. Moving him around some helps out but I think he's a liability in coverage.

If it's 4th and 15 and you know nobody is going to get to the QB besides maybe Ware then why not shift the protection to his side or put a RB/TE on his side to help out? Ratliff at DT playing over the ball is virtually guaranteed to get doubled every play anyways and we all know good ole Igor isn't gonna do anything. Hatcher has shown signs of being a player as has Spears, but everytime we blitz Ware that means we may very well be left with Brooking and/or James in pass coverage which isn't a pretty sight. Ware's drop in production I feel is directly related to the lack of consistent help around him.

If Ware grew his hair long, he'd get a lot more respect.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
lol at anybody saying Ware is the best. Polamalu won the game against Baltimore and the Bengals.

NeonNinja

Dash28
Reaction score
stilltheguru;3766808 said:
lol at anybody saying Ware is the best. Polamalu won the game against Baltimore and the Bengals.
It's amazing what great D-Coord can do.

Would love to see Ware with one.

perrykemp

Reaction score
DallasDomination;3766729 said:
I would take Reed, Polamalu, Ashoumga, Woodson and Revis over Ware right now...You know how hard it is to find a good safety and Corner now a days?

OLB's are a dime a dozen...They are all over the place. It's harder to find a good Nose Tackle.

I would second this. When I watch the Steelers and the Packers, Polamalu and Woodson both are both such sure handed tacklers they do a great job of rectifying anything that get's past the front 7. Having guys like that is such a great safety valve for a defense -- its lets you get so much exotic and aggressive with the front 7.

burmafrd

Reaction score
perrykemp;3766831 said:
I would second this. When I watch the Steelers and the Packers, Polamalu and Woodson both are both such sure handed tacklers they do a great job of rectifying anything that get's past the front 7. Having guys like that is such a great safety valve for a defense -- its lets you get so much exotic and aggressive with the front 7.

I would love to see what a really top DC could do with Ware.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I guess it depend if you are judging Ware on this year alone or overall. I do think Ware has had a tough year this season along with the rest of the defense but if judged fairly on his overall job performance for his career I think Ware ranks at the top.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Doomsday101;3767037 said:
I guess it depend if you are judging Ware on this year alone or overall. I do think Ware has had a tough year this season along with the rest of the defense but if judged fairly on his overall job performance for his career I think Ware ranks at the top.
What if you judge them based on this year?

According to ProFootballFocus:

Ware:
Sacks - 12
QB Hits - 8
QB Pressures - 53
Tackles - 44 (40 solo)
Stops* - 45

Matthews:
Sacks - 12
QB Hits - 11
QB Pressures - 34
Tackles - 41 (35 solo)
Stops* - 36

Solo defense tackles made which constitute an offensive failure.

TD-33

Benched
Reaction score
For any DE/OLB to match DWare, let's first see them produce at or near the top every year, regardless of coaching or help. And DWare absolutely is a game-changer and despite rarely getting a rest until this year has been relentless.

the rest doesn't matter to me, it's all opinion. Last year, many were saying Jared Allen was the best or Harrison (never mind the other players around them who draw tons of attention like the Williams' or Woodley)

Let's see how DWare looks in 2011 if the Cowboys draft a guy like Dareus lining up beside Ratliff.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
theogt;3767062 said:

Ware:
Sacks - 12
QB Hits - 8
QB Pressures - 53
Tackles - 44 (40 solo)
Stops* - 45

Matthews:
Sacks - 12
QB Hits - 11
QB Pressures - 34
Tackles - 41 (35 solo)
Stops* - 36

That's an interesting stat Theo...where did you get that? How does Ware's 45 'stops' rank league wide?

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
tomson75;3767070 said:
That's an interesting stat Theo...where did you get that? How does Ware's 45 'stops' rank league wide?
It's from ProFootballFocus. Unfortunately this year you have to pay for the premium membership to get their stats. I think it's something like $99, but well worth it in my opinion (if you're a stats guy).

Among 3-4 OLBs, Ware's 45 stops are 2nd to James Harrison with 50. Harrison hasn't had as good a season as a passrusher, though. Spencer is 4th in the league with 38. They have him rated very high against the run. But his passrush numbers are down considerably from last year.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
theogt;3767062 said:

Ware:
Sacks - 12
QB Hits - 8
QB Pressures - 53
Tackles - 44 (40 solo)
Stops* - 45

Matthews:
Sacks - 12
QB Hits - 11
QB Pressures - 34
Tackles - 41 (35 solo)
Stops* - 36

Numbers look good but overall effectiveness not as great as it has been. I love Ware but just based on what I have seen from him this year compared to other seasons has not been as good. Having said that it is not been bad just not as consistent though out the game.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Doomsday101;3767082 said:
Numbers look good but overall effectiveness not as great as it has been. I love Ware but just based on what I have seen from him this year compared to other seasons has not been as good. Having said that it is not been bad just not as consistent though out the game.
I attribute that to the observer's bias due to what's happening around him.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
theogt;3767078 said:
It's from ProFootballFocus. Unfortunately this year you have to pay for the premium membership to get their stats. I think it's something like $99, but well worth it in my opinion (if you're a stats guy).

Among 3-4 OLBs, Ware's 45 stops are 2nd to James Harrison with 50. Harrison hasn't had as good a season as a passrusher, though. Spencer is 4th in the league with 38. They have him rated very high against the run. But his passrush numbers are down considerably from last year.

Thanks...interesting that Spencer is ranked that high. Seems to put the onus of our line failures on our tackles...at least as far as the run is concerned.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
theogt;3767088 said:
I attribute that to the observer's bias due to what's happening around him.

As I said I love Ware but I'm not letting any of the defensive players off the hook for their play. So you can attribute it to what ever you want but I have seen to many time Ware pinching in and allowing RB to get outside of him more often than I have seen in the past. I'm not trying to slam him but I'm not going to praise him when I see some of the mistakes he has made this year along with others.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
tomson75;3767091 said:
Thanks...interesting that Spencer is ranked that high. Seems to put the onus of our line failures on our tackles...at least as far as the run is concerned.
There are 41 ranked 3-4 DEs. Looking at stops per snap played, our DEs rank 17 (Spears), 28 (Bowen), 30 (Hatcher), and 32 (Olshanksy). Not good.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
Doomsday101;3767097 said:
As I said I love Ware but I'm not letting any of the defensive players off the hook for their play. So you can attribute it to what ever you want but I have seen to many time Ware pinching in and allowing RB to get outside of him more often than I have seen in the past. I'm not trying to slam him but I'm not going to praise him when I see some of the mistakes he has made this year along with others.

Funny...I remember one instance where this happened and Collinsworth pointed it out.....suddenly, 'everyone' had been seen Ware do this all season. Amazing how that works.

Even if he has been guilty of that more often this year....those things can often be attributed to players trying to make up for their teammates' poor play.

Case in point...Polomalu has been guilty of this for several years. When it works out for him, he's the best player in the NFL...when it doesn't, he's vindicated by the play of his defensive teammates....good or bad. Ware isn't protected by this, yet continues to be one of the best players in the league.