Where should Dak’s salary be?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
https://overthecap.com/position/quarterback/

the highest paid qb not to make it to the Super Bowl is Kurt cousins at 28 million per year.

you then have bissett, stafford and Carr all in the 25-28 million per year range.

Inflation.

Top QB contracts are in the 15% to 17% of the cap.

Dak's number will be higher because the cap is higher now than when other QBs signed.

The Cowboys know it's 15% minimum.

The agent knows it's not going over 18%.

They have to guarantee more of the contract to get it down to the 15% mark or the agent will have to take less guaranteed to get in up to the 18% mark.

Agents base their reputations on getting MAX contracts for players like Dak. It's more about reputation than the actual difference in money.

Agent 3% of 40M = 1.2M.

Agent 3% of 35M = 1.05M.

Without considering reputation, the extra wouldn't be worth a long negotiation to the agent, but the agent recruits new clients based on his reputation for getting MAX deals for his big name clients.

conner01

Reaction score
Easy - $35m. That's roughly the same percentage of cap as Stafford.

Stafford and Cousins' contracts becan in 2018, with a $177m cap. Stafford at $27m - ~15% of cap. Cousins at $28m is ~16% of cap. $35m next year is ~17.5% of the cap. A bit bigger contract than Stafford and Cousins is exactly where Dak should be.
That’s what agents really look at
The dollars a guy got 3 yrs ago mean nothing
The pct of cap those dollars were is much more important
And fans really look at dollars way to much

Romotil45

Reaction score
https://overthecap.com/position/quarterback/

the highest paid qb not to make it to the Super Bowl is Kurt cousins at 28 million per year.

you then have bissett, stafford and Carr all in the 25-28 million per year range.

Dak is basically a solid backup. You tag him and draft a real franchise QB. I would not offer him any long term deal. I might offer 3 years 28 mil a year but that would be it.

garyv

Reaction score
26M, the transition tag, and let him see if he's worth more than that and get 2 1sts. If not, let him go for the gold with a new HC and offense. The circumstances dictate not getting into 100M+ guaranteed contract until they see him with this HC and offense.

He's in that Garoppolo and Cousins range, 27.5, 28M.

Someone started a thread about him signing an exclusive tag at 33M but not the transition one and I disagree, he will sign and show for the 26M. If he holds out, he will lose out and his agent knows it. If no other team is willing to bump the transition tag and give up 2 1sts for him and he is a no show for the Cowboys, he's not going to get fan support and not likely, teammate support either.

The tricky part is being able to use the safety net of rescinding the tag and bringing in a vet on a 2 year deal. I would sign Rivers and move on from him and go for the next franchise QB. However, they would have to move fast because other teams would be after him. He can still play and is as accurate a QB as there is in the league.

I would give him the transition tag all day long. If a team offers him most likely I would take my two #1's with what we already have retool DL and Secondary and go
after a free agent QB.

garyv

Reaction score
$28-33MM.

I thought I read last year we offered a 35 mil deal for 4 or 5 years but he wanted 3 years and that was the hang-up.
The Cowboys said NO because in 3 years they will be doing this again for much higher.

bodi

Reaction score
I would give him the transition tag all day long. If a team offers him most likely I would take my two #1's with what we already have retool DL and Secondary and go
after a free agent QB.

AGREED

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
This. 35 is the right number

And for the people complaining about how much cap thats taking, Watson and Mahomes will blow that out of the water and competently reset the market. They will likely extend after the new CBA and TV deal. Deals like Daks and Wentz's will look like bargins.

Meanwhile... None of these high paid QB's win anything.

You would think teams would see that maybe paying the QB all this money has an impact on the overall team and that is why the QB's on Rookie deal's and Vets taking a big paycut are holding up the Lombardi.

I guess Jersey sells and branding is what is important.. Dak is great for that.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Meanwhile... None of these high paid QB's win anything.

You would think teams would see that maybe paying the QB all this money has an impact on the overall team and that is why the QB's on Rookie deal's and Vets taking a big paycut are holding up the Lombardi.

I guess Jersey sells and branding is what is important.. Dak is great for that.
If your hoping for a QB to win a Super Bowl on a rookie deal, you are hoping to get extremely lucky. Players like Wilson and Mahomes have made fans think this is a good strategy

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
If your hoping for a QB to win a Super Bowl on a rookie deal, you are hoping to get extremely lucky. Players like Wilson and Mahomes have made fans think this is a good strategy

Is it luck at this point? It's more of the trend. It's hard to think of the last highly paid QB to win a title.

I'm ok with paying the QB too but it's nice to have proven you can win a Superbowl first.

Now we're just paying guys like Dak Prescott like they are the best QB in the league without winning anything lol.

If I had Mahomes I would tell him to name his price but we don't have that and we're still paying him like he won a Superbowl.

At least the Ravens won a Superbowl before they got stupid with Joe Flacco.

Why can't we enjoy some success before paying elite prices for mediocrity?

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Is it luck at this point? It's more of the trend. It's hard to think of the last highly paid QB to win a title.

I'm ok with paying the QB too but it's nice to have proven you can win a Superbowl first.

Now we're just paying guys like Dak Prescott like they are the best QB in the league without winning anything lol.

If I had Mahomes I would tell him to name his price but we don't have that and we're still paying him like he won a Superbowl.

At least the Ravens won a Superbowl before they got stupid with Joe Flacco.

Why can't we enjoy some success before paying elite prices for mediocrity?
In the last 10 years its been Colin Kaepernick, Russell Wilson, Jared Goff and Patrick Mahomes that have even got to a Super Bowl on a rookie contract. Mahomes and Wilson are the only ones that have won. Out of 20 Super Bowl starting QB's in the last 10 years, 5 have been on rookie deals. With 2 wins out of the last 10

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
In the last 10 years its been Colin Kaepernick, Russell Wilson, Jared Goff and Patrick Mahomes that have even got to a Super Bowl on a rookie contract. Mahomes and Wilson are the only ones that have won. Out of 20 Super Bowl starting QB's in the last 10 years, 5 have been on rookie deals. With 2 wins out of the last 10

Yes and how have the vets contracts looked that won the superbowl.. Pretty team friendly right?

Coaching, cheap QB, and or a great defense is the winning formula.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Yes and how have the vets contracts looked that won the superbowl.. Pretty team friendly right?

Coaching, cheap QB, and or a great defense is the winning formula.
Brady took reduced salaries because he could. He will making significantly more than rookie scale players.

As far as the winning formula for winning with a rookie scale QB. That formula should include having a HOF caliber coach, and drafting a HOF caliber QB

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Brady took reduced salaries because he could. He will making significantly more than rookie scale players.

As far as the winning formula for winning with a rookie scale QB. That formula should include having a HOF caliber coach, and drafting a HOF caliber QB

Brady is a great example.. "Because he could".. Who cares why he did it.. He did it and they won championships.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Brady is a great example.. "Because he could".. Who cares why he did it.. He did it and they won championships.
Because the other QB's in the NFL dont have a billionaire wife that will make that sacrifice. If Brady isnt married to Giselle, he probably isnt taking those discounts.

You are unlikely to find someone willing to do the same thing