Where should Dak’s salary be?

SpaceCowboy99

Reaction score
I can't wait to bump all of these threads in 5 years. Dak is and will always be a Average to Good QB. Good some days, average others. Not sustainable good, not great, and certainly not in the Elite.

Transition Tag him at the 26 Million. Let him get his feelings hurt when he realizes no one else in the league will pay 2 1st rounds for him and he is stuck 1 more year in Dallas. Meanwhile, draft a QB, train him up and be ready to replace Dak once he plays half *** or doesnt bring his outrageous salary demands down.

And to answer the original question, if he came to his senses, sign him at 30 Million / 5 years with some optional bonuses if he hits certain targets, but have a backup plan in place because he is not going to ever get you the Ring, despite what half this board thinks. He is too inconsistent.

Kwyn

Reaction score
I have no problem franchising him, and trade him for two 1st's.

We can't afford another cap crushing QB deal that inhibits our ability to retain and obtain FA's. 25 years of the same BS.
League is full of “cap crushing deals”

Par Mahomes is about to get a “cap nuclear destruction deal” if we want to get extreme

if you want an established, top half NFL QB and have to sign one as a free agent, get ready for the “cap crush” no matter who you sign

Now, if you hope to just draft the best QB available at 17 and pay a rookie salary, that’s another path. It won’t be Burrow, Tua or Herbert, but you whoever it is, Fromm or season maybe, should not be expected to come in and do what Dak did in his rookie season. That type of thing is extremely rare

Flamma

Reaction score
Where should Dak's salary be? At a level that doesn't give the Cowboys other options.

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Dak is basically a solid backup. You tag him and draft a real franchise QB. I would not offer him any long term deal. I might offer 3 years 28 mil a year but that would be it.

A solid backup, that has started and made the playoffs, two out of four years. Top ten among QB's, but he's a solid backup. Was Romo a solid backup?

aikemirv

Reaction score
Honestly I don't think Dak is worth more than 25 million to the Cowboys. I think in a value situation he may be at 20 million. He does not add playmaking ability. He can throw pretty well from the pocket and he is a good leader. He is strong but not elusive at all running the ball. He is not as accurate of a passer as Teddy Bridgewater.

I don't know what Bridgewater gets in FA but I think I would probably be able to sign another top defensive player and Bridgewater for the cost of Dak - That is what I would do.

Romotil45

Reaction score
A solid backup, that has started and made the playoffs, two out of four years. Top ten among QB's, but he's a solid backup. Was Romo a solid backup?

Romo is dead to me wish I could change my nick. In my opinion Dak is but a bus driver and any number of QB's with a top five OL a top five RB and our receiver core could go 8-8.

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Romo is dead to me wish I could change my nick. In my opinion Dak is but a bus driver and any number of QB's with a top five OL a top five RB and our receiver core could go 8-8.

If you are considering other positions; how can you not do that with other QB's, you deem better?

morat1959

Reaction score
It needs to be the salary a back up makes cause that’s where he’s best suited.

glimmerman

Reaction score
35-36.. above goff. Better do it before mahomes signs. Even though he isn’t a SB winning QB it will have a baring year on the market.

Kwyn

Reaction score
Honestly I don't think Dak is worth more than 25 million to the Cowboys. I think in a value situation he may be at 20 million. He does not add playmaking ability. He can throw pretty well from the pocket and he is a good leader. He is strong but not elusive at all running the ball. He is not as accurate of a passer as Teddy Bridgewater.

I don't know what Bridgewater gets in FA but I think I would probably be able to sign another top defensive player and Bridgewater for the cost of Dak - That is what I would do.
Dak is a much better QB than Teddy Bridgewater

I don’t think you would find many NFL fans, outside of this forum, who would find the two of them comparable

so, if you want a lesser QB than Dak and add a 10-12m defensive player then you might be able to do that

but, considering there is some recent speculation of Byron Jones getting something in the 14-15 range, how much are you expecting to get out of your 10-12? You’re not going to get a pro bowl level DT for that

Kwyn

Reaction score
I can't wait to bump all of these threads in 5 years. Dak is and will always be a Average to Good QB. Good some days, average others. Not sustainable good, not great, and certainly not in the Elite.

Transition Tag him at the 26 Million. Let him get his feelings hurt when he realizes no one else in the league will pay 2 1st rounds for him and he is stuck 1 more year in Dallas. Meanwhile, draft a QB, train him up and be ready to replace Dak once he plays half *** or doesnt bring his outrageous salary demands down.

And to answer the original question, if he came to his senses, sign him at 30 Million / 5 years with some optional bonuses if he hits certain targets, but have a backup plan in place because he is not going to ever get you the Ring, despite what half this board thinks. He is too inconsistent.

I am interested in possible names of QB’s you think we could draft who we could bring in and “train up” to replace Dak.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
~$34MM AAV. Though I still think the sticking point was the guaranteed money total compared to the other QBs from his season given they all had a chunk more from their rookie deals to roll forward into the extensions.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Dak is a much better QB than Teddy Bridgewater

I don’t think you would find many NFL fans, outside of this forum, who would find the two of them comparable

so, if you want a lesser QB than Dak and add a 10-12m defensive player then you might be able to do that

but, considering there is some recent speculation of Byron Jones getting something in the 14-15 range, how much are you expecting to get out of your 10-12? You’re not going to get a pro bowl level DT for that

Teddy was 5-0 last year. Managed his games very well. With our offensive talent, I think he would do just fine! Good bus driver at a much better price tag.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Teddy was 5-0 last year. Managed his games very well. With our offensive talent, I think he would do just fine! Good bus driver at a much better price tag.

I think there will be better QB's available but Teddy and Dak will bring similar results. They're both dependent on the guys around them.

Kwyn

Reaction score
Maybe.

I think Dak can be more than a bus driver. He’s not all-pro level and may never be, but I think he has potential to make plays to win games.

Plus, I value his leadership and intangibles more than most here on the board where those types of things only get applied to people like Sean Lee

I do agree that Teddy would be a bus driver. If we had an elite defense to go with our O-Line and a strong and creative running game, a bus driver might be enough to get us to an NFC Championship game. I just don’t think our defense will be good enough to carry a bus driver.

Verdict

Reaction score
If you think some team would pay more than $33M for him you give him the EFT. If not give him the transition tag. Dak will most likely get the EFT.

Dak will bring more on the open market than you think he would. You don’t think the Bengals would give $40m per year for him to have a legit starter? Too many teams needing a QB.

Hell the Steelers or Patriots would love to have Dak. The Patriots two first round picks will be bottom 5-6 of the first round.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Maybe.

I think Dak can be more than a bus driver. He’s not all-pro level and may never be, but I think he has potential to make plays to win games.

Plus, I value his leadership and intangibles more than most here on the board where those types of things only get applied to people like Sean Lee

I do agree that Teddy would be a bus driver. If we had an elite defense to go with our O-Line and a strong and creative running game, a bus driver might be enough to get us to an NFC Championship game. I just don’t think our defense will be good enough to carry a bus driver.
Dak hasn’t hit his ceiling yet. He has continued to improve. We had a worse Defense and ST last season. Dak has his moments he wishes he had back and so did the WR.