Where the Jones' regime has failed the most

TheCritic

Reaction score
Since this topic never goes away, why not at least make an attempt to precisely pinpoint where the Jones regime has failed the most.
For me, it's the circus atmosphere and the constant promotion of America's Team propaganda. I really do believe it's a toxic atmosphere that always seems to catch up to the team around playoff time.

To be fair, I don't think overall that talent acquisition has been a problem. Sure there's been some bad drafts, but you can say that about every team in the league.

And some will invariably criticize not addressing the QB position with a premium pick. Maybe there is something to that, but things could have been a lot worse. Many teams would have been thrilled to have a Tony Romo or a Dak Prescott.

But for me it always came down to a fundamental lack of mental toughness and physicality, something this team has not had since the days of Jimmy Johnson, IMO.

What are your thoughts? Where have the Joneses failed you the most?

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
Since this topic never goes away, why not at least make an attempt to precisely pinpoint where the Jones regime has failed the most.
For me, it's the circus atmosphere and the constant promotion of America's Team propaganda. I really do believe it's a toxic atmosphere that always seems to catch up to the team around playoff time.

To be fair, I don't think overall that talent acquisition has been a problem. Sure there's been some bad drafts, but you can say that about every team in the league.

And some will invariably criticize not addressing the QB position with a premium pick. Maybe there is something to that, but things could have been a lot worse. Many teams would have been thrilled to have a Tony Romo or a Dak Prescott.

But for me it always came down to a fundamental lack of mental toughness and physicality, something this team has not had since the days of Jimmy Johnson, IMO.

constant promotion of americas team propaganda?

DandyDon52

Reaction score
the circus atmosphere and the constant promotion of America's Team propaganda. I really do believe it's a toxic atmosphere
Yes I agree and it leads to many other problems.
Jerry being the voice of the team instead of the HC is also toxic, and is big reason Jimmy left when he did.
He left right after Jerrys 1st big PC, where jerry said the opposite of what jimmy had just stated day or 2 before.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

They had a circus in the seventies and early nineties.

They had coaches that got the best out of the players regardless of surroundings.

North Dallas Forty...

The White House...

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

The big miss was Sean Payton.

Should have moved Parcella to whatever title Will McClay and/Stephen now have...then Payton could have stayed as the Head Coach.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

My thoughts are that I’m sick and tired of all the critics. Every year is a new year. Quit whining about the past and look forward to the future. If you can’t do that, fine. Just don’t come here daily and *****.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score

I can give you the last few playoff endings and Dak but I don't see this team having a lot of quit since they quit on Wade.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Wishful thinking.
The Joneses would never have a figure of Parcells' stature alongside them running the football operations.
Is that why I can point to several draft picks and free agents that were obvious Parcells personnel decisions?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

"We like our guys."
Jerry treats the whole operation as his family business.
I don't object to the nepotism Stephen, I object to Jerry playing Grandpa to all the players.
We stick with "our guys" too long and for too much.

EGTuna

Reaction score
Jerry treats roster management and player contracts the same way he does all of his other business, which is a flawed paradigm since roster and cap management is significantly different than oil and gas speculation, marketing partnerships and ohm ways Jones makes $.

Because Jerry wants to win only on his terms and won’t sacrifice his ego for a better GM who would steal the credit.

Because Jerry has created a culture where he enables the players know there is no accountability to the coaches; it’s to Jerry.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

I don't think the talent acquisition has been that good. Jerry tends to be top heavy. a few big names. sell jersey's....and then there is gaping holes in different areas. the DL has been problematic for years. specifically the DT position. its not a premium position for Jerry, so he ignores it, but QB, RB, WR, he focuses on. lets not forget he wanted to draft Manziel over Martin, why? because he was thinking Manziel? a QB God in texas, playing for cowboys. can you imagine how many jersey's I can sell and how I can market it. Lets not forget he kind of, sort of lucked into Parsons. they wanted to trade up for a CB, when that didn't happen, they actually traded down. if they were 100% sold on Parsons, they would have taken him. risky move, since you give up your pick, no guarantees, but not a big risk.

so the roster has been very imbalanced over the years. we have Parsons, the rest of LBs suck. we have no DTs. there is holes on OL, which only recently got addressed, now we have the worst RB group in the league. so its a mish-mash of a roster. Jerry doesn't know how to build a playoff succeeding/calibur team.

and then there is the culture. he lets his personal relationships with players get in the way of how to be a GM. he handed 10M contract to Club Foot Smith, because he was doing business with him. any other GM, would have walked away. he by passes his coaches, and players know that and they reach out to him directly and impact his decision making. he doesn't manage the cap very well.

he has built a team to be popular, money making, but not a team to be successful in football.