Where the Jones' regime has failed the most

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Good GMs sometimes make pre-emptive moves to set themselves up to get an impact player at a critical position. Jerry and Steven aren't good at this. We've needed a foundational 1T run stuffing talent for years
but never seem in position to get one.
The made moves to acquire QB, WR, DE, and CB instead.

They also drafted Mazi last year. He hasn't busted yet even if on his way.

calicowboy54

Reaction score
Since this topic never goes away, why not at least make an attempt to precisely pinpoint where the Jones regime has failed the most.
For me, it's the circus atmosphere and the constant promotion of America's Team propaganda. I really do believe it's a toxic atmosphere that always seems to catch up to the team around playoff time.

To be fair, I don't think overall that talent acquisition has been a problem. Sure there's been some bad drafts, but you can say that about every team in the league.

And some will invariably criticize not addressing the QB position with a premium pick. Maybe there is something to that, but things could have been a lot worse. Many teams would have been thrilled to have a Tony Romo or a Dak Prescott.

But for me it always came down to a fundamental lack of mental toughness and physicality, something this team has not had since the days of Jimmy Johnson, IMO.

What are your thoughts? Where have the Joneses failed you the most?
they fail at 2 things:
1. salary cap management
2. being to invested in a player and not being able to let them go after there time

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
And some will invariably criticize not addressing the QB position with a premium pick. Maybe there is something to that, but things could have been a lot worse. Many teams would have been thrilled to have a Tony Romo or a Dak Prescott.
Knowing how their careers turned out, why would any team be "thrilled" to have failed playoff QBs? Just for pretty stats that lead to nothing? Would teams be thrilled if you rejuvenated Danny White back to playing shape knowing he would never get beyond the NFC title game?

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
They quit the week leading up the GB game last year.
I didn't see that. I saw Clark constantly in the wrong gap with Lewis, Thomas, and our DE getting physically overmatched at the poa.

The second half as hard to watch being down 3 scores but they did not just mail it in.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Exhibit A___After the resignation of HC Parcells following the wildcard loss to the Seahawks (2006 postseason), a few days later Jones hires then Dolphins QB coach Garett to be the offensive coordinator- ONE MONTH BEFORE he hires Wade Phillips as the head coach.
What does that demonstrate?

If you are trying to sell that Parcells was forced out or felt undermined, he says the exact opposite.

gtb1943

Reaction score
What does that demonstrate?

If you are trying to sell that Parcells was forced out or felt undermined, he says the exact opposite.
OF course he said that publicly
But if you bothered to watch the press conference when TO was signed, body language speaks otherwise

ArtClink

Reaction score
Since this topic never goes away, why not at least make an attempt to precisely pinpoint where the Jones regime has failed the most.
For me, it's the circus atmosphere and the constant promotion of America's Team propaganda. I really do believe it's a toxic atmosphere that always seems to catch up to the team around playoff time.

To be fair, I don't think overall that talent acquisition has been a problem. Sure there's been some bad drafts, but you can say that about every team in the league.

But for me it always came down to a fundamental lack of mental toughness and physicality, something this team has not had since the days of Jimmy Johnson, IMO.

What are your thoughts? Where have the Joneses failed you the most?
To me it's simple. Jerry and son are making football decisions they are not qualified to make. Of course Jerry is not the first billionaire who thinks his money qualifies him to make decisions on any and everything. Leave the football matters to football experts. There's no shame in admitting you're not a great football mind and delegate to those who are, but it has to be Jerry's way and the playoff results speak for themselves the past 29 seasons.

ArtClink

Reaction score
They had a circus in the seventies and early nineties.

They had coaches that got the best out of the players regardless of surroundings.

North Dallas Forty...

The White House...
But in the 70s and under Jimmy, the hc was enpowered to make football decisions, not the owner. The past three decades, the hc has had almost no power so Jerry is making the critical football decisions and it will never work, or hasn't for 29 years.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
OF course he said that publicly
But if you bothered to watch the press conference when TO was signed, body language speaks otherwise

‘‘I am retiring from coaching football,’’ Parcells said in a statement. ‘‘I want to thank Jerry Jones and Stephen Jones for their tremendous support over the last four years. Also, the players, my coaching staff and others in the support group who have done so much to help. Dallas is a great city and the Cowboys are an integral part of it. I am hopeful that they are able to go forward from here.’’

https://www.statesboroherald.com/sports/parcells-leaves-cowboys-rides-off-into-sunset/

He said the opposite at his exit PC. You are relying on your remembrance of body language.

plymkr

Reaction score
If they'd get over their success in super bowl seasons we would be fine
Bingo. When Jerry and Jimmy entered the league they had no respect. Jerry was a new owner and critics doubted Jimmy could coach in the pros. Also they dogged them because of their college relationship and how 2 friends were taking on the NFL. Then they won back to back titles. Jimmy and Jerry couldn’t share and things went south. Success went to their heads.

I really wish Jerry would feel disrespected by his peers like he did in ‘89. When he felt he needed to prove himself he was better. It was all about football and winning. Now that he’s won he’s basking in the attention of winning (30 years ago) and not working on the present team.

plymkr

Reaction score
‘‘I am retiring from coaching football,’’ Parcells said in a statement. ‘‘I want to thank Jerry Jones and Stephen Jones for their tremendous support over the last four years. Also, the players, my coaching staff and others in the support group who have done so much to help. Dallas is a great city and the Cowboys are an integral part of it. I am hopeful that they are able to go forward from here.’’

https://www.statesboroherald.com/sports/parcells-leaves-cowboys-rides-off-into-sunset/

He said the opposite at his exit PC. You are relying on your remembrance of body language.
Didn’t it come out later that Romo dropping the FG was a breaking point for him. Well not Romo exactly but he cited that moment in his example that winning didn’t feel as good as it used to and the losses hurt more than ever. He was getting burned out by not enjoying the wins and suffering more through the losses.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
But in the 70s and under Jimmy, the hc was enpowered to make football decisions, not the owner. The past three decades, the hc has had almost no power so Jerry is making the critical football decisions and it will never work, or hasn't for 29 years.
This is a popular sentiment but it is not how the NFL process works.

The NFL will only accept submissions that are signed by someone on a teams executive signature list. The owner submits that. IT can have multiple names on it. The only way the owner is excluded is contractually and there is no such contract.

Now if you think that the egomaniacal Jones did not have his sig on that card then you are deluded.

Further, there are several picks that were not Jimmy particularly after the first few years.

For example, Jimmy did not want Aikman. He quickly drafted an inferior QB he was more comfortable with. He wanted James Francis in 1991 and the team turned to Gil Brandt's board. Generally speaking, after 91, the team relied on Brandt and Ciskoski's board. Ended up with Lett and Allen.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Didn’t it come out later that Romo dropping the FG was a breaking point for him. Well not Romo exactly but he cited that moment in his example that winning didn’t feel as good as it used to and the losses hurt more than ever. He was getting burned out by not enjoying the wins and suffering more through the losses.
I do not recall that in particular but I do remember the sentiment. I can show you where he said he regrets leaving.

gtb1943

Reaction score

Yep. Having watched years of BP in press conferences I could tell he was not happy
You can blather all you want in your attempt to make excuses for Jethro

gtb1943

Reaction score
His brother dying that fall also hit him hard. The man was just worn out.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Yep. Having watched years of BP in press conferences I could tell he was not happy
You can blather all you want in your attempt to make excuses for Jethro
You cannot prove it. You can believe what you want. I am interested in what you can prove.