Where the Jones' regime has failed the most

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Since this topic never goes away, why not at least make an attempt to precisely pinpoint where the Jones regime has failed the most.
For me, it's the circus atmosphere and the constant promotion of America's Team propaganda. I really do believe it's a toxic atmosphere that always seems to catch up to the team around playoff time.

To be fair, I don't think overall that talent acquisition has been a problem. Sure there's been some bad drafts, but you can say that about every team in the league.

And some will invariably criticize not addressing the QB position with a premium pick. Maybe there is something to that, but things could have been a lot worse. Many teams would have been thrilled to have a Tony Romo or a Dak Prescott.

But for me it always came down to a fundamental lack of mental toughness and physicality, something this team has not had since the days of Jimmy Johnson, IMO.

What are your thoughts? Where have the Joneses failed you the most?
For me.....it's the castration of there head coaches.

starfan1

Reaction score
My thoughts are that I’m sick and tired of all the critics. Every year is a new year. Quit whining about the past and look forward to the future. If you can’t do that, fine. Just don’t come here daily and *****.
Chillax rocky. I am in agreement with you there are too many whiny arse fans and each year to me anyway is renewed optimism. But you arent chaniging any minds they choose to be negative because thats them after years of dissapointment.

I too find a couple of them just over the top ridiculous and some are trolls. We can still get enjoyment out of our team even if our fanbase sucks. Im willing to bet it will get better after we win a few games. Hang in there!! there are still some of us that get there is hopium every year. Till there isnt. They arent worth your time battling the negativity.If they want to be miserable let them

fivetwos

Reaction score
I typically point to the fact that Jerry wants a staff he can push around, nor has a chance to take any spotlight or his precious credit away from him, so the candidates are basically reduced to someone who wants either a final shot, or a first shot.

Both have their limitations.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Since this topic never goes away, why not at least make an attempt to precisely pinpoint where the Jones regime has failed the most.
For me, it's the circus atmosphere and the constant promotion of America's Team propaganda. I really do believe it's a toxic atmosphere that always seems to catch up to the team around playoff time.

To be fair, I don't think overall that talent acquisition has been a problem. Sure there's been some bad drafts, but you can say that about every team in the league.

And some will invariably criticize not addressing the QB position with a premium pick. Maybe there is something to that, but things could have been a lot worse. Many teams would have been thrilled to have a Tony Romo or a Dak Prescott.

But for me it always came down to a fundamental lack of mental toughness and physicality, something this team has not had since the days of Jimmy Johnson, IMO.

Well it might start with talking to your top players and at least attempting to negotiate with them.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Chillax rocky. I am in agreement with you there are too many whiny arse fans and each year to me anyway is renewed optimism. But you arent chaniging any minds they choose to be negative because thats them after years of dissapointment.

I too find a couple of them just over the top ridiculous and some are trolls. We can still get enjoyment out of our team even if our fanbase sucks. Im willing to bet it will get better after we win a few games. Hang in there!! there are still some of us that get there is hopium every year. Till there isnt. They arent worth your time battling the negativity.If they want to be miserable let them
Thanks. It’s good to know there’s more of us.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
For me, it's two things.

1. It's the idea that popularity and franchise value has somehow became the equivalent of winning championships.
2. The army of apologists, fan boys, and Jones cultists try to justify the last 28 years without competing for championships.

Every franchise has devoted fans. This one has several who worship a single man and his family.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
They had a circus in the seventies and early nineties.

They had coaches that got the best out of the players regardless of surroundings.

North Dallas Forty...

The White House...
That's a fair point.

Although, I think the difference is Jerry prioritizes the circus over winning.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
For me, it's two things.

1. It's the idea that popularity and franchise value has somehow became the equivalent of winning championships.
2. The army of apologists, fan boys, and Jones cultists try to justify the last 28 years without competing for championships.

Every franchise has devoted fans. This one has several who worship a single man and his family.
I don't know if I agree with that last point. Jerry Jones is probably the most maligned owner of all American pro sports.

I have not met a single person who is a Jerry Jones fan.

But the vast majority of fans are caught up in the hype machine that he's built-- including myself, until recently.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
That's a fair point.

Although, I think the difference is Jerry prioritizes the circus over winning.
There is no circus of debauchery like there were back in those times. You can conjure your mind suppose preferences but the reality is the players are not having routine cocaine and hooker parties at player owned establishments.

Instead you think Jerry having press conferences and a radio show is worse.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Jerry fails because he's a businessman trying to be a football guy. He makes too many decisions about how it will affect his bottom line and not how it affects the team's ability to win. Jerry has squandered opportunities and has a habit of neglecting areas or thinking it's good enough, even though it's obviously a weakness that will cost games. Defense has always been an issue, currently it's DL and being able to stop the run and that's been a problem for awhile. Before this defense, we knew we were screwed if Sean Lee, aka Glassman, got injured and well of course he would get injured. The trenches always seem to be an area of neglect, whether it's offense or defense, not flashy and marketable enough, who cares if the base success of the flashy positions come from controlling the LOS.

Jerry's arrogance or ignorance always seems to cost the team. 500 coaches can win a Superbowl with this team, yeah as long as it's Jimmy's team. Hey, we're so good, let's have a Special Teams draft. We don't need a #1 WR, we'll be fine with a bunch of jags, that worked out well. We can just use jag RBs again because it worked out so well after Demarco Murray left, getting Zeke the first helped fix that one, but will getting Zeke a second time help? Jerry likes to blame the cap and it's fashionable to blame the players for wanting to get paid, but it's Jerry's decisions that put the team in these positions.

There is no accountability on the football side, a football guy is measured by wins/losses and playoff success, but the businessman is measured by the bottomline. Jerry can say he wants to win, and in truth he is winning, he has the most successful sports organization in the world. Jerry fails because as long as the money keeps rolling in, there is little motivation to change the part of himself that wants to be a football guy.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

I think you nailed it.
They also hire head coaches that are not demanding enough.
The Clapper and Wade, and even Mac, just don't strike me as HC's that strike fear in players.
Between that and the Circus atmosphere, early playoff exits are all but guarenteed,

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score

I disagree, marketing this franchise is a strength of the Jones regime. So much so that they never seem to match the expectations. The Jones regime can only do so much. The failure has not been with what the Joneses have done, it's with the performance, post-season. Earning a playoff home game and failing to take advantage of it is the biggest problem.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

oh, thought of one other question which may have a much much much shorter and easier answer

Where has Jerry's Regime not failed?

keds

Reaction score

While we've made some great draft picks under the Jones regime, we have a knack to whiff in trades or the draft at pivotal, crucial times.

Just a few examples over the years...

Multiple draft picks for WR Roy Willams

Taking Taco instead of TJ Watt

Kavika Pittman over Tony Brackens

Greg Ellis over Randy Moss

Bossman Fat over good offensive line talent

keds

Reaction score
I think Steven has seen Jerry whiff enough times in crucial moments that once he got more control of the team he shifted management toward less of the risky moves which has stabilized the franchise but
prevents us from making the needed impact moves to put us over the top

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Jerry fails because he's a businessman trying to be a football guy. He makes too many decisions about how it will affect his bottom line and not how it affects the team's ability to win. Jerry has squandered opportunities and has a habit of neglecting areas or thinking it's good enough, even though it's obviously a weakness that will cost games. Defense has always been an issue, currently it's DL and being able to stop the run and that's been a problem for awhile. Before this defense, we knew we were screwed if Sean Lee, aka Glassman, got injured and well of course he would get injured. The trenches always seem to be an area of neglect, whether it's offense or defense, not flashy and marketable enough, who cares if the base success of the flashy positions come from controlling the LOS.

Jerry's arrogance or ignorance always seems to cost the team. 500 coaches can win a Superbowl with this team, yeah as long as it's Jimmy's team. Hey, we're so good, let's have a Special Teams draft. We don't need a #1 WR, we'll be fine with a bunch of jags, that worked out well. We can just use jag RBs again because it worked out so well after Demarco Murray left, getting Zeke the first helped fix that one, but will getting Zeke a second time help? Jerry likes to blame the cap and it's fashionable to blame the players for wanting to get paid, but it's Jerry's decisions that put the team in these positions.

There is no accountability on the football side, a football guy is measured by wins/losses and playoff success, but the businessman is measured by the bottomline. Jerry can say he wants to win, and in truth he is winning, he has the most successful sports organization in the world. Jerry fails because as long as the money keeps rolling in, there is little motivation to change the part of himself that wants to be a football guy.
Almost every franchise has an owner with executive authority and no one to hold them accountable. This is a general feature of sole proprietary capitalism.

Lurie for example dictates gameplan specifics each week and has say on every decision. The Maras operate much the same.

keds

Reaction score
Good GMs sometimes make pre-emptive moves to set themselves up to get an impact player at a critical position. Jerry and Steven aren't good at this. We've needed a foundational 1T run stuffing talent for years
but never seem in position to get one.