Where was the vaunted 12 package?

KB1122

Reaction score
The problem with the Escobar and Williams picks, at least in the immediate sense, is that I don't want to take touches away from Dez, Witten, Miles, and Harris to get these guys involved.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The problem with the Escobar and Williams picks, at least in the immediate sense, is that I don't want to take touches away from Dez, Witten, Miles, and Harris to get these guys involved.

The earlier we get them involved and comfortable with our offense the better our offense will be. Take Williams for example. NY doubled Dez all night giving Williams the opportunity to show what he can do. Once he starts making plays consistently defenses will have to adjust opening things up for Dez more often.

Zman5

Reaction score
The earlier we get them involved and comfortable with our offense the better our offense will be. Take Williams for example. NY doubled Dez all night giving Williams the opportunity to show what he can do. Once he starts making plays consistently defenses will have to adjust opening things up for Dez more often.

That makes sense if we didn't have Harris. A proven player who knows the offense better than Williams.

There was no real reason to have Williams "learn on the job" in this game. The risk of playing him this early does not outweigh the benefit.

T-RO

Reaction score
It was out there quite a bit but not sure how much. I kind of lost track of the 2TE offense when I started trying to figure out what the hell the team was doing in the pistol formation.

Wildcat. Pistol.

Is there a flavor of the week scheme that this offense won't try?

Huh? We never featured pistol or wildcat for a single down. Not once. Romo feigned one option move but it was more joke than anything else. Drink less. See more.

T-RO

Reaction score
A lot of people are complaining tonight. There's a lot to complain about.

But I agree with the OP that we didn't utilize the 12 formation a lot. However, I would say that Hanna doesn't seem cut out to be our #2 TE this season. I think Escobar will step up and be our #2 TE within the next few weeks. He's not a bad player. I just would have preferred a DT in the 2nd.

Escobar has a hard ceiling and weak floor. He is a receiving tight end who has no speed. Oh...and he can't block. When linebackers can undercut your route in the passing game AND blow up your block in the running game...it's not pretty. The selection was an epic fail by the scouting team, no matter if the guy can prove he has the greatest hands in the history of the game.

Skafko

Reaction score
Huh? We never featured pistol or wildcat for a single down. Not once. Romo feigned one option move but it was more joke than anything else. Drink less. See more.

Pistol is not same as (read)option. We ran few plays of a pistol formation.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
I think the problem that people have is that we they see three players lined up as WR they think, oh its a 3-WR set! But there were a lot of 12 packages out there with Escobar/Witten split out as a WR. hence the 3-WR look. But please carry on complaining about another "busted" pick.

Boyz981

Reaction score
This just goes to show, that some people really don't watch the games!

Ken

Reaction score
I agree that with everyone that said we played a ton of 12 package. The problem with it last night is that we didn't run the ball effectively enough for them to respond to the 2 and even 3 TE packages. They didn't come out of the 2 deep zone and we didn't make them pay in the running or passing game with that package.

I give a ton of credit to the Giants who greatly improved their run defense with guys like Shaun Rodgers. The beef they had up front was impressive.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Out of our 75 offensive snaps, we had "12" personnel on the field for 30 of them, "11" personnel for 32 of them and "13" personnel for 10 of them. The other three plays had no running backs -- two plays with four wides plus Witten, and one play with three wides plus Witten and Escobar.

Escobar got 20 snaps on offense.

conner01

Reaction score
Out of our 75 offensive snaps, we had "12" personnel on the field for 30 of them, "11" personnel for 32 of them and "13" personnel for 10 of them. The other three plays had no running backs -- two plays with four wides plus Witten, and one play with three wides plus Witten and Escobar.

there ya go with them facts again.:)
i did'nt count but thought we ran the 12 alot but actually it was more than i thought

TheRomoSexual

Reaction score

Haha wow, so we had 2+ TEs on 41 of 75 plays? Great call OP.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
I thought they used 2-3 TEs quite a bit just from watching the game on TV.

Staubacher

Reaction score
One game into a new offense and the caterwauling goes on.

4 guys who played regularly in the offense last night had their first NFL start or game experience. Frederick, Leary, Williams, Escobar

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
OP, I think it's incumbent upon you to at least reply with something here, don't you agree?

Hoofbite

Reaction score

What are you talking about? They ran the pistol.

The wildcat was just another example of when the team went jumping on board with a hot formation. Of course they didnt run it the other night. I never said that they did.

Pistol though? Yeah they ran it.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Seems like we went 3 wide all night. Another wasted 2nd round TE.

seems wrong when you check out the break down Dallas ran 2 TE sets 36 plays and 3 WR sets 33 times. We also had a 3 TE set not a running play

Woodygirl posted it earlier today evidently people did not see it

Read the rest.

Last edited by a moderator:

T-RO

Reaction score
What are you talking about? They ran the pistol.

The wildcat was just another example of when the team went jumping on board with a hot formation. Of course they didnt run it the other night. I never said that they did.

Pistol though? Yeah they ran it.

My bad. They ran it for 4 downs or something like that. No real read-option where Romo was going to run the ball of course.