Which coach in their prime? Tom Landry or Jimmy Johnson?

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'd say Landry.
I don't think Jimmy was capable of coaching the same group of players for 10 years. He was struggling with motivating the Cowboys in 1993 even though they won a Super Bowl. He was the better coach, but not the better long term coach.
Landry was an innovator on both side of the ball, called plays and set the game plans. Jimmy was a walk around coach and motivator.....I'll take Coach Landry all day long....he stuck around about 3 years to long, but he still belongs on the Mt. Rushmore of coaches.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Tom Landry. Jimmy clearly had the best team in the NFL in his super bowl years. He deserves credit for the Walker trade and assembling a very good staff, along with making so many draft picks that he hit on just enough and the misses didn’t hurt.

but Tom Landry won for 17 consecutive years and seldom had the best team in the NFL. He was innovative on both sides of the ball with the flex defense that controlled the LOS while letting the DEs eat, and his offenses were among the most creative. He was the best actual coach the Cowboys ever had. If the Pittsburg Steelers hadn’t built such a physical defense and offensive line to go with HOF receivers and Franco Harris, making them the best team in the 70’s, Landry may have had the most SB trophies of the era by a huge advantage! And he still managed to make those Super Bowls the most competitive in an era where the SB was usually a blowout.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Tough tough decision. I'd have to go with Jimmy but Landry was great too.
I will give this a try.
I would take Jimmy for the short time frame.
Very intense, very demanding.
I would take coach Landry for the long haul
Very innovative, very stable.
On a side note, respected coach Landry
For his character off the field.

plasticman

Reaction score
Apples and oranges.

Landry came in when the Cowboys were an expansion team. they didn't even get to draft their first season. Landry had to build from the bottom up. jimmy had the luxury of trading an All Pro for a bunch of picks.

I pick Landry because he committed his career to the Cowboys. Jimmy was always somewhat flighty.

Landry built a Super bowl team, then rebuilt for almost a completely different Super bowl team.

They are both great.

mrmojo

Reaction score
The question shuld be which coach would you want to win one game for all the marbles.......id have to go with Jimmy.

Hagman

Put Niland and Green in the ROH
Reaction score
I like things for the long-haul. Landry had 20 consecutive winning seasons and five Super Bowl appearances with two Lombardi trophies sprinkled in for good measure. Of course it was easier for him to stay for a long period of time compared to Jimmie Johnson, because Tom did not work for a narcissistic moron.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Love what Landry stood for, but he would overthink games and was very rigid.
We run Dorsett in Super Bowl 13 and we win.

Jimmy had a go-for-the-throat mentality that permeated his teams. If they were good, they weren't going to lose.

Sorry, Tom, but I go with Jimmy.

AyeAtey

Reaction score
No one but no one gave Coach Landry a Gatorade drenching to my knowledge.

Landry had longevity, the GM and owner had sense.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Tom was the best halftime adjustment guy I've ever seen.
That said I'm not sure either would be effective with today's NFL players

Blackrain

Reaction score
Their respective bodies of work speak for themselves Coach Landry a huge margin

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Jimmy.

His talents better suited for any decade, any situation.

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
:bow:COACH LANDRY:bow:
:starspin:NOT A LOGO...A LEGACY:starspin:
2060351953_ede4f177d2_b.jpg