Which Cowboys past/ present QB would you draft 1 overall?

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
Just think of the Dallas QBs who won Heismans. Two I can think of and 5 that were finalist.
Let's see... Staubach and Interceptaverde were winners. Aikman was a finalist who lost to Sanders... Meredith a finalist also I believe. Who am I missing... was it... Weeden?

GMO415

Reaction score
Let's see... Staubach and Interceptaverde were winners. Aikman was a finalist who lost to Sanders... Meredith a finalist also I believe. Who am I missing... was it... Weeden?
Bledsoe, Leaf, and Walsh. Weeden wasn't

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
Bledsoe, Leaf, and Walsh. Weeden wasn't
You are correct about Leaf. As for the other two, and this may be somewhat open for interpretation, but I was under the impression that a Heisman finalist was one of the three top vote getters who were actually invited to the ceremony. With that said, Bledsoe and Walsh did get Heisman votes, just not top 3.

mrmojo

Reaction score
Is this a trick question? I think I will draft the President award wining, Heisman trophy winning, wait the years for his Navy commitment and still draft him no.1 overall. Leaders, athletes, and winners like Staubach do not grow on trees. Tom Landry with Staubach 2-2 in Super Bowls and 0-1 with no other Super Bowl appearance without Staubach.
Was drafted in 10th round...

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score

Sure if Aikman had Norv Turner instead of Kellen Moore, Irvin instead of Cooper who gets shut down on the road (unlike Irvin), and that elite defense he played with in the SB's. Oh,forgot about Emmitt what's his name. Who actually wasn't afraid to run to the outside when defenses stacked the line, unlike Zeke.

csirl

Reaction score
If anything, asking him to drop back and throw as many times as modern NFL offenses ask their QB to throw means that he'd be exposed way more and get hit even more often, so his career would quite likely be shorter.

Troy's shelf life wouldn't be extended by the fact that defenders would get flagged more when they concuss him or when they hurt his back. Go ask Andrew Luck or Alex Smith or RGIII if the current rules are any kind of a guarantee of remaining healthy.

Also worth mentioning? I'm not sure how well Troy would even take to modern NFL offenses in the first place. Dude helped shove Chan Gailey out the door after he modernized and revitalized our offense, because he felt too uncomfortable in the new system and wanted to go back to the stale old stuff.

People forget how versatile Troy was. The Cowboys played a particular system because it was successful and they had the personnel.

Troy played WCO in UCLA and won a National Championship in Oklahoma in an old style option offense.

GMO415

Reaction score
Sure if Aikman had Norv Turner instead of Kellen Moore, Irvin instead of Cooper who gets shut down on the road (unlike Irvin), and that elite defense he played with in the SB's. Oh,forgot about Emmitt what's his name. Who actually wasn't afraid to run to the outside when defenses stacked the line, unlike Zeke.
Jimmy definitely had a different culture, but he could have this team locked in.

Kwyn

Reaction score
You're holding the first overall pick in this draft and you have an opportunity to draft any Cowboys QB from current and past Cowboys' history. Who's draft card are you submitting?

I'm taking Staubach.
Do you have to draft them in their actual draft year or is this basically a “best Cowboy of all time” type of thing?

if I had to draft one player, of his era, at number one, it would probably have to be Roger but that comes with a big “but”. If I’m taking #1 overall I’m not picking a guy I have to wait on for four years.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
No way I’m saying Roger unless we are pretending he plays next year instead of having to wait while he serves his Navy commitment.

Troy is the only QB I’d take #1 overall.

Blue64

Reaction score
Troy over Roger...

simple reason... accuracy,

In today’s league with QB rules as they are and DB’s being called on everything
Troys accuracy would be a huge difference maker

aikemirv

Reaction score
I would honestly pick Staubach, Aikman or Romo #1 overall. If I had to choose, it would be Staubach for todays NFL. He skills would fit todays game really well.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I'm taking Staubach. A lot more mobility than anyone other than Romo.

The reason I'm not taking Aikman is because he was like an expensive sports car - he played great only when every single component (O-line, receivers, running game) etc. was in proper condition. Without those things, he couldn't even get Dallas beyond the wild card round.

I hear this a lot and, while I understand why people say this, I am not really sure it's as accurate as you might think. BTW, I used to share this opinion years ago. However, I have come around to a different point of view.

You must keep in mind that the Offense that Troy played in was very precise. Everything had to be on time, executed exactly right and with minimal deviation. That was the Offense that Troy played in. When Troy was very young, the team was very bad so we never really had an opportunity to see what Troy could do in a more open Offensive scheme. He was pretty much busy running for his life. However, I was able to watch Troy when he was in College and actually see what he was capable of in a less restrictive Offense. I am convinced that Troy could have played in any Offensive scheme in the NFL, had he been drafted by another team. It just so happens that he came to Dallas and was eventually joined with Norv. The scheme limited those abilities in order to accentuate other of his abilities to their fullest potential. Troy was a really good athlete when he came out of UCLA. If you have a chance to watch him play at UCLA under Steve Axman and Terry Donahue, you should really check it out. Most younger posters, who saw Aikman with the Cowboys, either never had opportunity to watch Aikman when he was at UCLA or just forget how athletic he really was. I think he gets short changed there.

JMO

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I think you have to ask yourself which of the Cowboy QBs would translate into different eras.

I would go this way:

Roger Staubach
Troy Aikman
Tony Romo

Had Danny White played longer at QB and not suffered the injury he did, he would likely be on this list, in place of Tony IMO, but alas, it was not in the cards.