Which Dallas draft pick has the highest chance of being a bust?

tupperware

A Plastic Container
Reaction score
Not even one regular season snap into his rookie year and you are all calling Escobar a bust. Really? Do y'all just want to see players fail so you can gripe about Jerry Jones and the coaching staff?

Uh, you may want to read the first post again. It was asked who we think has the highest chance of being a bust down the road.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Even previous busts like Fasano and Bennett did not look as ineffective by this point.

You honestly think he is reviled because he is following Jason Witten?

And you have seen everything Escobar has done already or has to offer? smh

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I don't agree.

Ogletree was the 3rd receiver last season and was released because he wasn't productive enough. The Cowboys were looking for an upgrade at that spot. I'm not saying Williams won't eventually develop into Austin's replacement but if the Cowboys were looking to replace him they would have been looking higher than the 3rd round. From what I've seen in preseason Williams has a long way to go replacing Austin. It's not even a given he'll be the 3rd receiver. So far he hasn't done anything in preseason.

bpfred

Reaction score
Is everyone here confident T Will will pan out to be a viable replacement for Miles then?

Williams hasn't done much in the preseason, so he could flop. He has gotten separation, maybe for the wrong reasons, but still there is cause for some optimism.

Escobar may turn out to be player, but to me, he looks more like a sixth round project than a second round pick. He is slow and can't block. IMO John Phillips looked better during his rookie preseason than Escobar has. Personally, I'm not all that optimistic about any of the (probable) backup tight ends--why go with tight ends if they can't block any better than these guys. You'd be better off using additional receivers.

OTOH, I really like what I've seen of Wilcox. IMO, in two years he may turn out to be the best rookie of the bunch. FWIW, I like Holloman a lot too.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
I'm just curious what Cowboys' 2013 draft pick you think has the highest chance of being considered a bust on down the road? Who in this current draft class will be the next lightening rod we are cussing and discussing two or three years from now?

Easy, it's Escobar, needs to put on twenty pounds and get in the weight room, not even close to being strong enough to play in the league and with the Cowboys history of failed second round tight end selection recently, there's a good chance Escobar being the bust from this draft

Frosty

Bigdog24
Reaction score
I'm just curious what Cowboys' 2013 draft pick you think has the highest chance of being considered a bust on down the road? Who in this current draft class will be the next lightening rod we are cussing and discussing two or three years from now?

I really like this draft class it could prove to be one of Jerry's better drafts. Wilcox and Hollowman are my favorite then I am not seeing any results with TWILL or Escobar. Doubt they will be with the team 3 years from now. I hope I am wrong tho....

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Percentages were mentioned in the thread title, but don't let that stop you from defending this fair maiden's honor.

Little Alex, my oldest and dearest friend on thios site. Are you telling me the guy doesn't even get an off season before you are ragging on him.

I think a troop of girl scouts could beat his butt. Let him lift some weights and get real pro training on blocking before we dismiss this guy.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

None.

17yearsandcounting

Reaction score
It is easily Escobar. How on Earth can a guy that has been in a college weight program for 3 years only do 12 reps? I

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Even previous busts like Fasano and Bennett did not look as ineffective by this point.

You honestly think he is reviled because he is following Jason Witten?

Both those guys had decent NFL careers, given where they were drafted actually. And in Fasano's case, we recouped a pick, though it was a significant discount. I don't consider either 'busts.'

To the OP, the answer is Escobar, I think. But I still like what he's shown so far. I don't think his selection will end up having been a waste.

Fredd

Reaction score

I am glad someone said it , I see them all doing well

I swear, some people want to invent things to complain about this team...the OP wants us to throw our prognostication skills out there and pick who will be the biggest flop? First define flop? If Holloman doesn't pan out, is he a flop or a chance we took that didn't work? any answer to this question is a no-win scenario....the kobayashi maru (all of you Star Trek nerds should know this)....the no-win scenario, but, young Jim Kirk found a way to beat it. So do I, I say, none flop and all are successful to some degree

Jammer

Retired Air Force Guy
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am glad someone said it , I see them all doing well

I swear, some people want to invent things to complain about this team...the OP wants us to throw our prognostication skills out there and pick who will be the biggest flop? First define flop? If Holloman doesn't pan out, is he a flop or a chance we took that didn't work? any answer to this question is a no-win scenario....the kobayashi maru (all of you Star Trek nerds should know this)....the no-win scenario, but, young Jim Kirk found a way to beat it. So do I, I say, none flop and all are successful to some degree

I don't see it as complaining. I see it as an interesting topic of who do we think will not make it for the Cowboys. I'm hoping they all make the Cowboys and they make the team better.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Define bust.

In football terms it means they were a flop or simply didn't live up to their draft status. The higher a player is drafted the higher the expectations.

Everlastingxxx

All Star
Reaction score
Escobar has shown very little thus far. He needs an offseason of serious weight training. Calling him a bust is premature. Some of you may know about that embarrassment. He appears to have good hands and has some unique physical traits like his height and long arms. He needs time to develop. 2 or 3 seasons. I like his potential better than Bennett because that guy had a brain full of marbles and Gavin seems to be a down to earth kid, humble enough to listen and learn (see the Romo on-field lashing). Fasano was a decent player but we wasn’t gifted with any special abilities.

I am a huge fan of Williams. I think the kid can play but he might end up getting frustrated because he is behind a lot of other weapons. Webb doesn’t impress me but the kid does make plays. Fredrick has been excellent. I don’t know, i hope all these guys can be decent contributors.