Which Dallas draft pick has the highest chance of being a bust?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Wouldn't it be hilarious if Escobar turns into a good TE?

It's amazing the hate he gets for being a rookie. Being behind Witten ain't easy I guess.

A lot of fans didn't like the pick including myself because it's the 3rd second round pick since 06 the Cowboys have burned on a TE. Having a Jason Witten is going to make it hard for any TE to be productive and Escobar has to be productive to live up to his draft status.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
I'm just curious what Cowboys' 2013 draft pick you think has the highest chance of being considered a bust on down the road? Who in this current draft class will be the next lightening rod we are cussing and discussing two or three years from now?

lord why do people seek out the bad?

bryant wore his pants too low, even though it wasn't him. now he's prep'd to be a top NFL receiver.

"bust" is fans perception when done so soon. reality says, shut up and let it play out. way too many factors involved.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Escobar has shown very little thus far. He needs an offseason of serious weight training. Calling him a bust is premature. Some of you may know about that embarrassment. He appears to have good hands and has some unique physical traits like his height and long arms. He needs time to develop. 2 or 3 seasons. I like his potential better than Bennett because that guy had a brain full of marbles and Gavin seems to be a down to earth kid, humble enough to listen and learn (see the Romo on-field lashing). Fasano was a decent player but we wasn’t gifted with any special abilities.

I am a huge fan of Williams. I think the kid can play but he might end up getting frustrated because he is behind a lot of other weapons. Webb doesn’t impress me but the kid does make plays. Fredrick has been excellent. I don’t know, i hope all these guys can be decent contributors.

yea, cause in 4 pre-season games we the fans are all set to know who is gonna shine.

i mean, we all had dez's back, right?

wait....

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Even previous busts like Fasano and Bennett did not look as ineffective by this point.

You honestly think he is reviled because he is following Jason Witten?

not because following Witten but the erroneous perception he's a prototypical TE and we didn't need that plus two previous TEs were 'busts' ergo he will be too in some twisted illogical 'logic'.

Tex

Reaction score
I doubt we will really know anything about Escobars ceiling until at least year three. He needs serious work in the weight room and coaching. 2nd round picks should not be "projects". But as far as him being a bust its way way to early to evaluate.

If we are defining a bust as only 1st or 2nd rounders he wins by default as Fred is NOT going to be a bust.

I have worries about Randle right now to be honest.

conner01

Reaction score
to me anyone after the 4th round can't really be a bust. not all that uncommon for late round picks to not develope. heck i bet there are more UDFA in the nfl than former 5th thru 7th round picks. so that narrows the options quite a bit. my guess is none of them will be a bust but the one most likely not to get a 2nd contract here is randle because of the position he plays

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Even previous busts like Fasano and Bennett did not look as ineffective by this point.

You honestly think he is reviled because he is following Jason Witten?

In 4 preseason games, the Cowboys TE have 9 catches. Escobar has 5 of them.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

bryant wore his pants too low, even though it wasn't him. now he's prep'd to be a top NFL receiver.

"bust" is fans perception when done so soon. reality says, shut up and let it play out. way too many factors involved.

You tell me.

You're lecturing in a thread that you don't feel is valid.

FiveRings

Reaction score
First name in my head too but I aint sure a 5th rdr can be a bust. Maybe he should get the least likely to succeed vote.

Fair enough title. The thing with Escobar is that after Marty B then John Phillips, he'll probably have every chance to make sure he can succeed.

Randle was a great college player, and I don't think he necessarily will be a bust, but I could see him getting lost in the mix.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I have to agree with the conventional wisdom that a bust is considered picks within the 1st 2 rds not the later picks. So that leave Frederick and Escobar if one of these guys is a bust I would say Escobar. However I don't think he will be a bust

fortdick

Reaction score
If I recall, Hanna didn't look all that great last preseason, now he will be starting in the 12 set. Escobar was not drafted to be a prototypical TE, he is a hybrid type more likely to come out of the slot or H back position.

Some people just want to whine about stuff.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
A lot of fans didn't like the pick including myself because it's the 3rd second round pick since 06 the Cowboys have burned on a TE. Having a Jason Witten is going to make it hard for any TE to be productive and Escobar has to be productive to live up to his draft status.

If you believe a player is totally judged by his rookie year. He may have a more limited role this season but I think he was drafted with the future in mind not just today

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
Escobar has good hands. He isn't strong, agile or quick. He and TWill are neck and neck, IMO. Neither one of them have any unique qualities about them.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Well, to even qualify for a 'Potential Bust' draft rating, you have to be a first or second round pick. It would be pretty silly to call a 3rd-7th rd pick a bust, don't you think? So, that leaves Fredbeard or Escobar. :confused::rolleyes: o_O

Don't really know why a fan would be looking to predict the 'most likely to bust' from the draft class.

SMCowboy

Reaction score
Sorry, I still do not understand how Martellus Bennett and Anthony Fasano are busts? Neither player was ever cut by the Cowboys, or any team, and both are still in the league and just signed long term deals with their new teams.

If people are expecting the #2 TE, on a team that also has Dez Bryant, Miles Austin, as well as the TE being the backup to Jason Witten to put up major numbers, then there is a 100% chance that said player will be a bust.

To me a bust, is someone who can not play, or atleast start in the NFL. Both Martellus Bennett and Anthony Fasano have shown that they absolutely can play, and absolutely can start for a NFL team.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sorry, I still do not understand how Martellus Bennett and Anthony Fasano are busts? Neither player was ever cut by the Cowboys, or any team, and both are still in the league and just signed long term deals with their new teams.

If people are expecting the #2 TE, on a team that also has Dez Bryant, Miles Austin, as well as the TE being the backup to Jason Witten to put up major numbers, then there is a 100% chance that said player will be a bust.

To me a bust, is someone who can not play, or atleast start in the NFL. Both Martellus Bennett and Anthony Fasano have shown that they absolutely can play, and absolutely can start for a NFL team.

I will give you my personal opinion on it.

Neither Fasano nor Bennett were busts as players.

They were bust as Cowboys in terms of what the team accomplished, or failed to accomplish with them.

For the draft picks invested, the return on the two-TE offense never materialized.

So, in short, it's not the players themselves, but the return on investment that was a bust.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Just because Dallas drafted Martellus Bennett and Anthony Fasano and things did not work out does not mean you all of a sudden stop drafting a TE. I will not deny that TE in the 2nd was not something I expected but I do understand the rational behind the pick. Draft is not just about today it is about today and the future.

Verdict

Reaction score

Who is seeking out the bad? I asked a probabilities, crystal ball type of question and you get aggravated about it? Who says I am seeking out the bad. Maybe I am asking the question to see how current perception meets reality later this season, next year, or three years from now.

I don't know why asking this question bothers you so bad. I didn't suggest that I hoped that any would be a bust, or that I thought any would be a bust. I am asking about current perception.

Webb was touted as the next best thing since sliced bread, then later he looked pretty bad and played like a guy who might even deserve to be cut, but has redeemed himself of late. How is this question any different than asking how many wins the Cowboys will get this year?

FLcowboy

When Jerry, when?
Reaction score
With Witten still having a number of good years left and with the team already having 2 TE's taken in the 2nd round go bust since 06 Escobar clearly has the highest chance of being a bust. He's going to have to produce some pretty good numbers in the passing game or he'll end up another 2nd round flop.

With respect to the two 2nd round tight end busts since '06, I have to hope the third time will be a charm, and Escobar will pan out. Frankly, Witten has caused the bust of previous tight ends with his high level of performance, and surely he has to start declining soon.This will let the light shine on Escobar