Which Dallas draft pick has the highest chance of being a bust?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Using a 2 TE set they were looking to add to that group add to that Witten is getting up in age. I know the situation Garrett is in and if what you want in quick fix you go FA most rookies are going to have ups and downs. He sure as heck is not going to be the #1 target in terms of TE this season however I think they like his ability and even talked about adding weight and strenght in terms of his future. He is a pass catching TE never asked to block and when they took him I don't think they looked at just this season.

The Cowboys have had the idea for a 2 TE offense since 08 when they drafted Bennett. Witten was 26 years old at the time. They're not looking for Escobar to be the #1 target they want him to compliment Witten. How many times do I have to repeat that? They're not expecting a 1000 yard season out of Escobar they want him to be a productive part of the passing game especially in the redzone.

An 8-8 team who's HC is on the hot seat doesn't take a TE with a #2 pick if they're not expecting immediate production from them. No one is saying the Cowboys are looking at just this season with Escobar don't know why you keep repeating that. :rolleyes: They're looking at the future with all their picks but they need their high picks to start producing this season or Garrett may not have a future in Dallas.

fortdick

Reaction score
As expected. If the topic isn't positive praise, some people just can't handle it.

Thank you for proving my point.

Why can't y'all that complain and discuss the negative just try and be positive. You will really enjoy it more. There might be some disappointment when your hopes don't materialize, but when you expect the bad all the time, how can you ever enjoy anything? It has nothing to do with being a "realist", that is only an excuse y'all use to rationalize your negativity. You don't ever look for the good things, only the things that will justify your expectations of failure.

If an individual doesn't live up to your unreasonable expectations, you dump on him and anyone that tries to remain positive. That is not a good way to go through life! If you expect failure, expect to fail.

Me, I will go into each season believing that this is our year. If it doesn't work out, there is always next year. These players are on my team, so I will pull for them until they convince me they don't care about the team and put themselves first. Until then, I am a Cowboys fan and they are Cowboys.

PS, you didn't think those were negative comments I quoted? You didn't think those folks were declaring Escobar a bust already?

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Why can't y'all that complain and discuss the negative just try and be positive. You will really enjoy it more. There might be some disappointment when your hopes don't materialize, but when you expect the bad all the time, how can you ever enjoy anything? It has nothing to do with being a "realist", that is only an excuse y'all use to rationalize your negativity. You don't ever look for the good things, only the things that will justify your expectations of failure.

If an individual doesn't live up to your unreasonable expectations, you dump on him and anyone that tries to remain positive. That is not a good way to go through life! If you expect failure, expect to fail.

Me, I will go into each season believing that this is our year. If it doesn't work out, there is always next year. These players are on my team, so I will pull for them until they convince me they don't care about the team and put themselves first. Until then, I am a Cowboys fan and they are Cowboys.

PS, you didn't think those were negative comments I quoted? You didn't think those folks were declaring Escobar a bust already?

And, the thing is that posters are saying that if Escobar does not produce his first year as a 2nd rounder then he is a failure and Garrett will lose his job! All that even BEFORE a friggen game is played!

Can you believe that? It's just so damn stupid that I have no words for it.

dreghorn2

Original Zoner (he's a good boy!)
Reaction score
Some people think that a College player drafted in the 2nd should be able to come in and play at the NFL level right away.
That is totally ridiculous thinking. The difference between College and the Pros is a wide margin, and just because a player with potential cannot come in right away and produce like he was the best 2nd rounder in the NFL is just ..lazy!

These guys are not robots, and it takes time to develop some while others may or may not succeed, but to expect a rookie, especially at TE to come in and be a gang buster right off the bat is foolish...but then again...:cool:

Umm... we are supposed to be going heavy into the '12' package as our base offense, so much so, that we don't have a fullback on our roster.

Theoretically this is going to require a lot of snaps from our TE group, Witten, Hanna (a 6th rounder with 8 catches last year), Rosario ( a 7 year vet with 99 career catches), and our 2013 second round selection Escobar.

You can be assured that the Cowboys were not spending this selection on a long term developing, get him in the weight room for a year, he's just a rookie don't expect much kind of guy. Ridiculous, lazy, i don't think so.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Umm... we are supposed to be going heavy into the '12' package as our base offense, so much so, that we don't have a fullback on our roster.

Theoretically this is going to require a lot of snaps from our TE group, Witten, Hanna (a 6th rounder with 8 catches last year), Rosario ( a 7 year vet with 99 career catches), and our 2013 second round selection Escobar.

You can be assured that the Cowboys were not spending this selection on a long term developing, get him in the weight room for a year, he's just a rookie don't expect much kind of guy. Ridiculous, lazy, i don't think so.

I actually like this rebuttal from you because I really think Escobar is going to going to produce for the Cowboys this year.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
And, the thing is that posters are saying that if Escobar does not produce his first year as a 2nd rounder then he is a failure and Garrett will lose his job!

Provide a post from someone who said that. LOL

dreghorn2

Original Zoner (he's a good boy!)
Reaction score
I actually like this rebuttal from you because I really think Escobar is going to going to produce for the Cowboys this year.

I hope he does as well, trust me, but the thread is just speculation on who 'might' be a bust for this draft class.

He kind of fits the bill because there will be pressure on Escobar to play a lot of snaps and be a presence when we are down deep, if he doesn't.. then 'maybe' he was a poor pick because we need help now.

Frederick, he's going to play, Williams, looks like Miles replacement down the line, could be a factor this season, less pressure.

Obviously no long term conclusions can be made regarding Escobars' future right now.

OhSnap

Reaction score
Fair enough title. The thing with Escobar is that after Marty B then John Phillips, he'll probably have every chance to make sure he can succeed.

Randle was a great college player, and I don't think he necessarily will be a bust, but I could see him getting lost in the mix.

I don't think about Escobar either way this season. Hanna showed he could catch in those last 4 games last year and I think it's a good sign for him that they started using when they did.

fortdick

Reaction score
I don't think about Escobar either way this season. Hanna showed he could catch in those last 4 games last year and I think it's a good sign for him that they started using when they did.

This! Hanna will be the second TE, Escobar will play H Back and slot. Escobar will actually be a pseudo WR this year. Hanna is going to be what they hoped Bennett would be.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
I hope he does as well, trust me, but the thread is just speculation on who 'might' be a bust for this draft class.

He kind of fits the bill because there will be pressure on Escobar to play a lot of snaps and be a presence when we are down deep, if he doesn't.. then 'maybe' he was a poor pick because we need help now.

Frederick, he's going to play, Williams, looks like Miles replacement down the line, could be a factor this season, less pressure.

Obviously no long term conclusions can be made regarding Escobars' future right now.

This is very true. But, I don't think us fans have seen what he is capable of doing in preseason.

So, I am done with this thread because "you got to know when to hold them, know when to fold them, no when to walk away, know when to run...

:D

OhSnap

Reaction score
This! Hanna will be the second TE, Escobar will play H Back and slot. Escobar will actually be a pseudo WR this year. Hanna is going to be what they hoped Bennett would be.

The guy caught everything they asked him to. It wasn't but 8 catches out of 11 throws but most of them being in the last 4 games is important because those were games fighting for a playoff spot and it makes me think he learned to adjust his routes in his first year. Hanna could be coming in under the radar this year?

tupperware

A Plastic Container
Reaction score
Who cares if people want to be critics. You still see that they're fans of the same team you support as well, don't you?

This place would be absolutely silly if everyone did nothing but drown every player with praise and never had a critical thing to say. It's a forum, which is a platform for discussion. Your discussions are only ever going to go so far without disagreements and debate. So don't question why people criticize, criticize and debate their points.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Back at you...if people don't agree with everything negative they just cannot seem to handle it.

Funny how that works. :cool:

I don't know what happened to the Stash I knew a long time ago, but you have turned sour on anything positive Cowboys.

And, the only point you have is on top of the noggin of yours.

Carry on...

You're posting in a thread asking about which player might bust.

If you can't handle the possibility, avoid the thread and keep up with the ostrich routine.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Nobody is declaring him a bust.

What they are saying is that if this draft has one - and almost all do - the most likely candidate to most people is that it will be Escobar.

Nobody is hoping for it, nobody is counting on it, nobody wold be happy if it happened.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And, the thing is that posters are saying that if Escobar does not produce his first year as a 2nd rounder then he is a failure and Garrett will lose his job! All that even BEFORE a friggen game is played!

Can you believe that? It's just so damn stupid that I have no words for it.

That's not what anyone is doing.

You obviously don't understand the topic.

The question is if you had to pick a player who might bust, which one would it be?

Believe it or not, it could happen.

iceman117

Reaction score
If by his 3rd year, he's not catching 50+ passes for 600+ yards, there will be a lot of people on here calling Escobar a bust. Heck, even if he does put up those numbers, they will still call him a bust.

He'll have to do better than that by his 3rd year.... Witten is getting up there in age, if Escobar doesn't have the second most receiving Tds on this team by year 3 he is a bust in my eyes.... Second round pick has to produce especially when it wasn't a big position of need on the team so in a way he has to be kind of be a special player.

iceman117

Reaction score
Ill just throw another name out there to play devils advocate and sway away from Escobar who is obviously the prime candidate. JJ Wilcox has a boat load of potential and could be a very good player.... He also could be a bust because I think a third round pick should be a guy who produces by year 2 or 3 so we will see.

dogberry

Reaction score
Frederick - starter
Escobar - starter in the 12.
Williams - starter in the 11
Wilcox - future starter
Webb - depth at cb (I am someone who groused all through the 70s about not having a good 2nd cb, I want lots of cbs)
Randall - depth plus future starter if we don't have enough to pay Murray
Holloman - future starter

DenCWBY

Reaction score
I'm just curious what Cowboys' 2013 draft pick you think has the highest chance of being considered a bust on down the road? Who in this current draft class will be the next lightening rod we are cussing and discussing two or three years from now?

So far Fredrick is the only draft pick that has shown solid progress to becoming a started now and for many years to come. It's way too early to speculate but Escobar just has that "new kid in the classroom look" and he needs to start developing a nasty edge to him to show he's capable. Again way too early to speculate on any one of them.