Which direction do the Cowboys go at QB in 2021?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
DRAFT. We will be back in the market for a QB. Makes me sick.
That’s been one angle but most likely we won’t have a high pick in 1st round .

The early discussions brewing in the local media is we would look to a veteran since we have a team ready to contend now.

The draft could take too long to develop someone and place so much of our roster under high contracts on hold .

Rayman70

Reaction score
understand what not signing Dak meant. HE WILL NOT BE TAGGED AGAIN. He just won't agree to that again. HE IS GOOD AS GONE. Lets let that sink in. Tthe entire point was he wants to test free agency in 2021. Dallas will likely abide, or do a tag and trade deal. HE WONT BE OUR QB IN 2021. Dude will get a crazy Mahomes-like deal.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
agree, i like where we are if Dak wants paid takes us to the big dance and I promise you will get your money, if we remain an average football team then maybe it is time for both to move on

Chances are your right. Believe me I'm pulling for Dak. I want nothing more than to see him help this team to a championship. Hard to believe that we have some who would rather see him fail just so they can claim how right they were.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
agree, i like where we are if Dak wants paid takes us to the big dance and I promise you will get your money, if we remain an average football team then maybe it is time for both to move on
So basically we aren’t going to ante up to Dak unless we go to the Super Bowl?

Is that the message we are sending to any Cowboys QB moving forward? Take us to the SB or no 2nd contract for you. Great Mgmt.. lol

Doomsday101

Reaction score
understand what not signing Dak meant. HE WILL NOT BE TAGGED AGAIN. He just won't agree to that again. HE IS GOOD AS GONE. Lets let that sink in. Tthe entire point was he wants to test free agency in 2021. Dallas will likely abide, or do a tag and trade deal. HE WONT BE OUR QB IN 2021. Dude will get a crazy Mahomes-like deal.

Dallas can tag him again in 2021 it would be at a cost of 37.5 mill. Dak point was they know a new TV contract that will double in size which is why he wanted 4 not 5 year deal to get back to the FA market.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I’m not sure this is sinking in yet to all fans?

The Dallas Cowboys had their opportunity to secure Dak Prescott as their franchise QB and passed.

If you aren’t sold on Dak then you should be pleased. If not then you should be shattered today.

I’m not here to take sides but instead to look ahead what our best options are without Prescott. I understand not everyone is ready to move their thought process forward.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
It's over with Dak. Its almost impossible to keep him at this point the math doesn't support it. Front office sucks. He probably plays on the 37.7m tag next year then will hit the open market before the 2022 season. If the cowboys are smart they will try to draft a qb after this season. We hit the lotto on getting dak and then threw the lottery ticket in the trash without realizing it. I just pray we can transition without playing qb roulette for years.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think at this point the team has to just let the season play out and make decisions from there.

If the offense and Dak are both highly effective, the team will have to revisit the chance to work out a long term deal with Dak. They tagged Lawrence one year and worked out a long term deal the next, so they have done that before.

But if they aren't satisfied with Dak and the offense after the season, other options would need to be considered. As you said, the draft might be tough because the team likely isn't going to draft high enough to have a shot at the best QB prospects. I'm not sure who the free agent options might be. Maybe they sign a free agent and draft someone.

fivetwos

Reaction score
if mac can keep him throwing around 20-25 passes a game, he should have a great year. romo's best was in 2014 when we were balanced with murray running the ball.
Game situations dictate that largely, and teams definitely abandon the run way too soon in today's NFL.

I definitely think Prescott should be given a year with a real staff before we run him out of town. Maybe two. The way I see it, this is as good of a situation for the team as we could have hoped.

Dak played through his rookie deal and did everything the right way. He is just a rung below elite, but I think theres an avenue by which he can seriously improve, and justify the deal he is looking for.

cityochamps

What Just Happened Here
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So basically we aren’t going to ante up to Dak unless we go to the Super Bowl?

Is that the message we are sending to any Cowboys QB moving forward? Take us to the SB or no 2nd contract for you. Great Mgmt.. lol
Its almost to that with this team, Jerry wants to win, Dak has not got us there Romo didn't get us there, you want to get paid the big money (Btw he was offered big money) like that then freakin show me something. I'm personally tired of paying people big money then watching them sluff off and get fat "literally fat" for a year or two. Oh but wait... I'm sure you know more about management than Jerry..Yikes!

All I'm saying is perform and take this team deep into the playoffs then lets talk about paying you top QB money.

cityochamps

What Just Happened Here
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Chances are your right. Believe me I'm pulling for Dak. I want nothing more than to see him help this team to a championship. Hard to believe that we have some who would rather see him fail just so they can claim how right they were.
Heck yeah me too, I hope knocks the light out! And then yes we better pay him then and I think we will, the pressure is back on Dak, Again i like where we are in this situation

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I’m rooting for Daks success this year as it translates into Cowboys success. And it will enhance his negotiations with another franchise.

And if was too expensive for the Cowboys this year it will skyrocket next year.

The best option for Dak to fall back to where he’s affordable for the horrible Cowboys Mgmt is to have a horrid season possibly even getting hurt.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Now that we’ve come to grips with the shocking news yesterday the Cowboys have passed on resigning their QB which direction do you think we will go?

We have a top offense ready to contend now. Will we look to the draft as we most likely won’t have a high draft pick or will we look to FA for a veteran to step in.

This is a team built to contend now hiring a proven coaching staff brought in to win now. This is not a rebuilding situation.

The Cowboys decision yesterday regardless what side of the fence you’re on definitely sets our franchise moving forward in a different direction with the most important position in doubt.

They're probably going in a lesser direction.

Are there better QBs than Dak? Yes.

Are the Cowboys likely to have one of them in 2021? No.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I’m rooting for Daks success this year as it translates into Cowboys success. And it will enhance his negotiations with another franchise.

The best option for Dak to fall back to where he’s affordable for the horrible Cowboys Mgmt is to have a horrid season possibly even getting hurt.

I don't think Jerry is cheap, hell he was raked over the coals for paying Zeke what he got paid. Jerry made a more than fair offer and at the end of this year Cowboys can either come up with a new deal on they can once again put the tag on at a price of 37.5 mill.

cityochamps

What Just Happened Here
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

fredp22

Reaction score
Now that we’ve come to grips with the shocking news yesterday the Cowboys have passed on resigning their QB which direction do you think we will go?

The Cowboys decision yesterday regardless what side of the fence you’re on definitely sets our franchise moving forward in a different direction with the most important position in doubt.

the team didnt pass- they made him a more than fair offer. 100 million dollar guarantee contract/33 mill yr/ top 3 amount to go with the side contacts he gets for being the cowboy qb and you act like we insulted and passed on him. What has he done to deserve more. you make it seem like we're dissing a qb that has 2-3 sb rings. I back the team on how they've handled this so far.
as far as moving forward- MM is not Garrett- he'll work something out

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Its almost to that with this team, Jerry wants to win, Dak has not got us there Romo didn't get us there, you want to get paid the big money (Btw he was offered big money) like that then freakin show me something. I'm personally tired of paying people big money then watching them sluff off and get fat "literally fat" for a year or two. Oh but wait... I'm sure you know more about management than Jerry..Yikes!

All I'm saying is perform and take this team deep into the playoffs then lets talk about paying you top QB money.
That’s not really how the NFL and professional sports works. Not everyone can be on a championship team but they still get paid. The worse teams have the same amount of Cap space as the best teams.

That might not be how fans might want it but that’s not the reality.

We didn’t squak that Elliott, Cooper or Lawrence got paid before going to a Super Bowl.

shabazz

Reaction score

Even harder to believe that some think that Quarterbacking a team with the #9 ranked defense, to an 8-8 season and failing to reach the playoffs in the worst division in football, is not failing.

Look, its over. Hes done. Face it. Hes a stop gap till MM can get HIS Qb. these negotiation were started during the Garrett era and now MM is here to put an end to this nonsense.

............He had his chance, and thank God, he blew it. Time to move on without Quincy Carter 2.0 as the future.

Get to Steppin
1427aca0-0a29-4310-bdf4-29f1f7df4b42_750x422.jpg

Diehardblues

Reaction score
the team didnt pass- they made him a more than fair offer. 100 million dollar guarantee contract/33 mill yr/ top 3 amount to go with the side contacts he gets for being the cowboy qb and you act like we insulted and passed on him. What has he done to deserve more. you make it seem like we're dissing a qb that has 2-3 sb rings. I back the team on how they've handled this so far.
At least your admitting we dissed our QB. Now possible you can join in the discussion of how do we move forward in 2021.

Winning SB’s isn’t required to receiving a big contract. Finishing top 10 in your positions categories does.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
as far as moving forward- MM is not Garrett- he'll work something out
Great Cowboys Mgmt. We made an offer and never to be heard from again. Great job Jerry and Stephen getting the job done.

Now our franchise QB is in jeopardy of not returning in 2021. And why we must begin looking in different directions.

I understand not everyone is prepared to begin looking forward. This thread might not interest them.

Last edited: