Which direction do the Cowboys go at QB in 2021?

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Now that we’ve come to grips with the shocking news yesterday the Cowboys have passed on resigning their QB which direction do you think we will go?

We have a top offense ready to contend now. Will we look to the draft as we most likely won’t have a high draft pick or will we look to FA for a veteran to step in.

This is a team built to contend now hiring a proven coaching staff brought in to win now. This is not a rebuilding situation.

The Cowboys decision yesterday regardless what side of the fence you’re on definitely sets our franchise moving forward in a different direction with the most important position in doubt.
Cowboys have MM brain in place now.
There was a reason why "Daks Deal" didnt get done.
Maybe Jerry and Son put him in place to actually find that answer.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Even harder to believe that some think that Quarterbacking a team with the #9 ranked defense, to an 8-8 season and failing to reach the playoffs in the worst division in football, is not failing.

Look, its over. Hes done. Face it. Hes a stop gap till MM can get HIS Qb. these negotiation were started during the Garrett era and now MM is here to put an end to this nonsense.

............He had his chance, and thank God, he blew it. Time to move on without Quincy Carter 2.0 as the future.

Get to Steppin
1427aca0-0a29-4310-bdf4-29f1f7df4b42_750x422.jpg

I don't share the same feeling on this. I do think all the pressure of this season will be on Daks Shoulder. in my view it is a hell of a gamble and for me I hope he proves his critics wrong.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Great Cowboys Mgmt. We made an offer and never to be heard from again. Great job Jerry and Stephen getting the job done. Now our franchise QB is in jeopardy of not returning in 2021. And why we must begin looking in different directions.

I understand not everyone is prepared to begin looking forward. This thread might not interest them.

According to reports: A last-ditch effort to strike a deal as the deadline approached was made. After months of a contract stalemate, the final five-year offer averaged between $33 million and $35 million per year with $110 million in guarantees, of which $50 million was a signing bonus, according to NFL Network's Jane Slater. The first two contract years in the offer were for $70 million. Previous reports about the negotiations did not have as much specificity about what Dallas had put on the table but pegged the offer in the $35 million per year neighborhood.
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/agents-take-whats-next-for-dak-prescott-and-cowboys-implications-of-2021-franchise-tag-and-more-to-know/?fbclid=IwAR3Fq13EoSxAcX3rL4FzEk3g-LOpzyfWjgsHqaHBWLriM5Gg4O5DP0jWnks

This organization put out fair offers but it takes 2 to make a deal happen. Not 1.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Trade Dak for a couple draft picks. Sign a veteran like Dalton, cam, not sure who else is on 1 year or expiring deals but sign them to a bridgewater type deal and then still draft a guy. and continue to draft a guy untill you have a mahomes type guy, or an early Brees, early rogers....those are the guys you break the bank for if you have to.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
According to reports: A last-ditch effort to strike a deal as the deadline approached was made. After months of a contract stalemate, the final five-year offer averaged between $33 million and $35 million per year with $110 million in guarantees, of which $50 million was a signing bonus, according to NFL Network's Jane Slater. The first two contract years in the offer were for $70 million. Previous reports about the negotiations did not have as much specificity about what Dallas had put on the table but pegged the offer in the $35 million per year neighborhood.
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/agents-take-whats-next-for-dak-prescott-and-cowboys-implications-of-2021-franchise-tag-and-more-to-know/?fbclid=IwAR3Fq13EoSxAcX3rL4FzEk3g-LOpzyfWjgsHqaHBWLriM5Gg4O5DP0jWnks

This organization put out fair offers but it takes 2 to make a deal happen. Not 1.
True but it’s the Cowboys job to get a deal done if we want to resign a player . Otherwise it opens up their options to move on.

Regardkess this threads intention isn’t to rehash our Mgmt horrible job negotiating a deal.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Will depend where our draft number is. We could have a very early selection (not that I'm hoping for that). If we're at about our typical position, it could make sense to trade up to the highest position possible to draft a QB. Dak + our #1 for the bottom finisher's #1, if possible. But we'll have to wait and see, of course.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Trade Dak for a couple draft picks. Sign a veteran like Dalton, cam, not sure who else is on 1 year or expiring deals but sign them to a bridgewater type deal and then still draft a guy. and continue to draft a guy untill you have a mahomes type guy, or an early Brees, early rogers....those are the guys you break the bank for if you have to.
If he’s to become a FA will teams really give much up for him?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Will depend where our draft number is. We could have a very early selection (not that I'm hoping for that). If we're at about our typical position, it could make sense to trade up to the highest position possible to draft a QB. Dak + our #1 for the bottom finisher's #1, of possible. But we'll have to wait and see, of course.
Right and we could move up . Maybe Trevor Lawrence could fall. Who couldn’t get excited about him?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
True but it’s the Cowboys job to get a deal done if we want to resign a player . Otherwise it opens up their options to move on.

Regardkess this threads intention isn’t to rehash our Mgmt horrible job negotiating a deal.

so your solution is give whatever a player demands. I expect Dallas to make fair offers and I feel they did just that. Dak wanted short term deal? He got it, 1 year 31 mill and now he has to go out and perform at a very high level if he expects to get a mega deal. What Dallas offered would have put him as the 2nd highest paid QB only behind Mahomes who did a 10 year deal. I am not down on Dak nor am I down on this organization, they were not low balling him by making him essentially one of the highest paid players in the NFL. You call it horrible job of negotiating a deal yet they managed to get Zeke done, Cooper done, DLaw done, the OL when they got their deals were the highest paid. Sorry I think the offer they made to Dak was very fair

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Right and we could move up . Maybe Trevor Lawrence could fall. Who couldn’t get excited about him?

He could be good. We also don't know who that bottom-dwelling team will be and how hard a bargain they'll drive. Dak + our #1 may not be enough. It's very speculative right now. If our own pick is up there (position 5 for example, though it makes me cringe), that's very different than if our #1 is at position 26, for example. Dak + our #1 could mean they only fall from 1 to 5, or it could mean they fall from 1 to 26 (just as examples).

HungryLion

Reaction score
It's over with Dak. Its almost impossible to keep him at this point the math doesn't support it. Front office sucks. He probably plays on the 37.7m tag next year then will hit the open market before the 2022 season. If the cowboys are smart they will try to draft a qb after this season. We hit the lotto on getting dak and then threw the lottery ticket in the trash without realizing it. I just pray we can transition without playing qb roulette for years.

Nah man. I heard it here first. As long as the QB is cheap it won’t matter because they can use the remaining money on building the team

ya know, kinda like the last 4 years when they had a cheap QB and built a championship caliber team around him..............

Oh wait

the last 3 years the cowboys have literally had the best value at QB position when you take into account QB production vs. QB cost.

and they flushed it down the toilet.

But I’m sure they will have no problem finding a better replacement at QB. Or putting a championship team around a worse QB than Dak. I mean it’s Jerry and Stephen. They know what they’re doing........

Rayman70

Reaction score
Dallas can tag him again in 2021 it would be at a cost of 37.5 mill. Dak point was they know a new TV contract that will double in size which is why he wanted 4 not 5 year deal to get back to the FA market.
not so sure

Rayman70

Reaction score
It's over with Dak. Its almost impossible to keep him at this point the math doesn't support it. Front office sucks. He probably plays on the 37.7m tag next year then will hit the open market before the 2022 season. If the cowboys are smart they will try to draft a qb after this season. We hit the lotto on getting dak and then threw the lottery ticket in the trash without realizing it. I just pray we can transition without playing qb roulette for years.
^^^^THIS^^^^ 100%

Diehardblues

Reaction score
so your solution is give whatever a player demands. I expect Dallas to make fair offers and I feel they did just that. Dak wanted short term deal? He got it, 1 year 31 mill and now he has to go out and perform at a very high level if he expects to get a mega deal. What Dallas offered would have put him as the 2nd highest paid QB only behind Mahomes who did a 10 year deal. I am not down on Dak nor am I down on this organization, they were not low balling him by making him essentially one of the highest paid players in the NFL. You call it horrible job of negotiating a deal yet they managed to get Zeke done, Cooper done, DLaw done, the OL when they got their deals were the highest paid. Sorry I think the offer they made to Dak was very fair
I didn’t say that. I said it’s our job to get a deal done if you’re intent on resigning. If not, that’s fine. You move on which I’m attempting to present now.

Hey, I’m not the one who didn’t want to resign him. I’m as shocked as anyone else. But I’m not going to continue crying over it. Have to keep moving and look to what our other options are.

I understand after less than 24 hours everyone may not be ready to explore those options.

Rayman70

Reaction score
jerry and son have an ego,and the worst thing a player and agent can do is play hard ball. ITS OVER MAN. They likely are pissed. Dak is all but gone. Its the fastest way out of town, pissing off ownership.

Rayman70

Reaction score
the colts will need a QB in 2021. Denver too, the SAINTS..

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Nah man. I heard it here first. As long as the QB is cheap it won’t matter because they can use the remaining money on building the team

ya know, kinda like the last 4 years when they had a cheap QB and built a championship caliber team around him..............

Oh wait

the last 3 years the cowboys have literally had the best value at QB position when you take into account QB production vs. QB cost.

and they flushed it down the toilet.

But I’m sure they will have no problem finding a better replacement at QB. Or putting a championship team around a worse QB than Dak. I mean it’s Jerry and Stephen. They know what they’re doing........
Yep just more examples how poorly managed the Cowboys are. Thanks !!