Which do you prefer to be the news on Monday, preparing for WC game or JG not being retained

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Garrett and Dak both gone would be the start of something special.

It's on its way one look at Jerry's face the last month or so pretty much confirms the R.I.P. of Prescott and Garrett.....heck as Jerry has stomached his Dak mistake(Romo) wouldn't surprise me to see Dak gone and Jason given a 2-year extension.....

Chrispierce

Reaction score
I’m spilt on it. Like having a game to play at ends of weeks,but car crashing off a cliff like they will to SF or someone,doesn’t sound very tasty going down either.

ESisback

Reaction score
Actually its the opposite bro.

My degree at UT is in Psychology and if you study "fan hood" not just in the US, but around the world, you notice that the "fanatics" (fans that cheer wildly for the laundry no matter what) typically have one common trait, that is they use their team as an emotional replacement.

You especially see this in Europe with soccer when not only opposing fans are assaulted but the referees as well if the home team loses. The "fanatics" that are diehard fans that paint their face and cheer and yell at the top of their lungs use sports as an emotional replacement. They live vicariously through the accomplishments of others, mainly the players on their favorite team. Studies have shown that when their team wins they actually have an increased level of endorphins released into their blood stream. Likewise, when their team loses, they take it as a personal defeat, and can become increasingly irritated and aggressive. Hence, the assaults on opposing players and referees I mentioned earlier. Fans that are not that emotionally involved in the game typically have other areas of their lives that they deem just as, if not more, important than the game, mainly their family, their career, ect...

So you see, you got it backwards. If you study the literature on the subject you would know that it is the die hard fans that are typically lacking in other areas of their lives and use sports as an avenue for emotional replacement. And if you think about it, this makes perfect sense. If you have a great family life, wife, kids, a great job, making decent money, do you really care that much if your favorite team wins or not? Are you going to go beat up the ref when your team loses? Obviously not.

I agree, although I do see a lot of smug “elitists” that seem to get off on displaying their superiority.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Playoffs everytime..seeing the eagles miss out of the playoff a happy bonus..

look if we dont make the NFCCG Garetts gone, its already been written.. no doubt hes gone..i rather have one more week or two of football and see him go, if somehow he shocks the world and gets us to an NFCCG , I can live with him a few more years..

they simply should replace some Coordinators and have agreat draft heavy on defense...

lwehlers

Reaction score
I want garrett gone so bad but I also would like to see a playoff game. this team has not made the playoffs in back to back years since 2006-2007. lost both games so that sucked.

johneric8

Reaction score
Unfortunately for us the fanbase, Jerry is going to break all the rules and string the Garrett thing on well into the off season... You don't believe me, just sit back and watch.. Even though he will technically be without a contract that doesn't mean that Jerry won't be up to his old tricks and string it out a long as possible while great coaching candidates get snatched up.

Typical Jerry will start interviewing other coaches all the while being vague on whether or not he will retain the freckled puppet. During this mess, real coaches will get fed up and sign with someone else.

Swanny

Reaction score
I prefer the news be about JG no longer the coach
JG no longer the coach. I don't want to miss out on any coaching candidates because they signed with another team while we lose in the 1st or 2nd Rd of the playoffs.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
JG departing Dallas. The Cowboys do not deserve a playoff berth and would be an inevitably ugly one and done contestant. The Eagles will at least play their best in that game.

Red Dragon

Reaction score
I want playoffs. 10000%. As long as there's even a hair's chance of playoffs, I want it.

_sturt_

Reaction score
Actually its the opposite bro.

My degree at UT is in Psychology and if you study "fan hood" not just in the US, but around the world, you notice that the "fanatics" (fans that cheer wildly for the laundry no matter what) typically have one common trait, that is they use their team as an emotional replacement.

You especially see this in Europe with soccer when not only opposing fans are assaulted but the referees as well if the home team loses. The "fanatics" that are diehard fans that paint their face and cheer and yell at the top of their lungs use sports as an emotional replacement. They live vicariously through the accomplishments of others, mainly the players on their favorite team. Studies have shown that when their team wins they actually have an increased level of endorphins released into their blood stream. Likewise, when their team loses, they take it as a personal defeat, and can become increasingly irritated and aggressive. Hence, the assaults on opposing players and referees I mentioned earlier. Fans that are not that emotionally involved in the game typically have other areas of their lives that they deem just as, if not more, important than the game, mainly their family, their career, ect...

So you see, you got it backwards. If you study the literature on the subject you would know that it is the die hard fans that are typically lacking in other areas of their lives and use sports as an avenue for emotional replacement. And if you think about it, this makes perfect sense. If you have a great family life, wife, kids, a great job, making decent money, do you really care that much if your favorite team wins or not? Are you going to go beat up the ref when your team loses? Obviously not.

So, here's what I take from that:

1) We're supposed to be impressed by an undergrad degree.

2) We're supposed to be impressed by an undergrad degree in Psych.

3) We're supposed to be impressed by an undergrad degree from a major university.

4) You presume it's likely that would be impressive because, surely, no one with a master's degree in the social sciences from a major university would post here... let alone, someone with a terminal degree.

And most relevantly:

5) That your description of diehard fans from whatever study it is you've cited... and I don't doubt you've stated the study basically with some level of accuracy... is not congruent with "those who just use sports as an outlet to feel powerful and smarter than everyone else, ostensibly because they don't get to do that in any other part of their lives."

To the contrary, my friend, why else would one invest him/herself quite so intensively?

As a psych expert like yourself surely knows as s/he walks into this discussion, the psychological drive to feel powerful and superior intellectually, when unmet in other parts of his/her life, is naturally especially intensive then in other places... often personal relationships... and often, again, in one's connection to his/her sports team(s).

In other words, the diehard fan, just rationally, profiles most typically as a person who places greatest priority on showing him/herself smarter than the owner, GM, coach, players when they're losing, and complimenting him/herself on all his/her mind-melding with the team's principals when they're winning.

Others of us?

We're just in it for the entertainment value. It's just sports. In real life, there are other better ways to reassure oneself that s/he's superior/intelligent/valuable.

Pardon the observation but it's more entertaining to win games and make the playoffs, keeping hope alive than it is to see someone lose his job.

Try to see it from our point of view.