Which free agents would you like to be signed in the next 72 hours?

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Clowney is getting offered 13-14 million right now. I think we can easily do a little better than that and still afford Harrison.

I think Clowney is going to be looking for a 1 year deal now. If you look at his pass rush metrics from last year, he was one of the top rushers

seamus18

Reaction score
Add DT Harrison and DE Griffen and the D-line is set
Yep. And then, short of Kinlaw falling to them, they could basically focus on the defensive backfield in the draft. Throw in a slot receiver and things are looking good.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Clowney is getting offered 13-14 million right now. I think we can easily do a little better than that and still afford Harrison.

I think Clowney is going to be looking for a 1 year deal now. If you look at his pass rush metrics from last year, he was one of the top rushers

If Clowney cost 15 MM and Griffin would cost 8, who would you take? I'm not that high on Clowney but I can really see an argument for either scenario.

Kaiser

Reaction score
There are still some former pro-bowlers and very talented players sitting out there on the open market,

The obvious holes are RDE and WR3. We still have 20MM available so there are plenty of options. I think you need a veteran at WR3 and a guy like Dorsett can be had at low price, I can see them going all in on Clowney or getting a reasonable deal on Griffin to pay him around the 8MM that Quinn got last year.

Also you have to think that if Clowney didn't get a big offer out of the gate, his price might drop even more. I'm still on the fence about him but I trust the judgement of our talent evaluators if they do sign him.

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
I would like to see 1tech and DE addressed with the remaining f.a. WR will be easy in the draft.

John813

Reaction score
If Clowney cost 15 MM and Griffin would cost 8, who would you take? I'm not that high on Clowney but I can really see an argument for either scenario.

Tough. Clowney has had injury issues along with desire issues IMO. Griffen is more durable, but also had a mental breakdown too not too long ago.

Clowney could use it as motivation, and he is a stout run defender. Griffen, is probably the better pass rusher.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Clowney. Just because if Clowney gets 8-10 sacks, he will get big money somewhere. We would basically convert that cap space into a 3rd round pick.

Either one would be a short term solution. With Clowney we have a chance to get an asset out of it

Cwby41

Reaction score
I would def go with Griffin hes solid against run and pass doesnt get hurt and you save a few million

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The obvious holes are RDE and WR3. We still have 20MM available so there are plenty of options. I think you need a veteran at WR3 and a guy like Dorsett can be had at low price, I can see them going all in on Clowney or getting a reasonable deal on Griffin to pay him around the 8MM that Quinn got last year.

Also you have to think that if Clowney didn't get a big offer out of the gate, his price might drop even more. I'm still on the fence about him but I trust the judgement of our talent evaluators if they do sign him.
Remember when flip flopped on Hardy once his price went down and he was looking for a 1 year deal. I think there is a possibility that could happen with Clowney. With Lawrence on the other side, this could be a good 1 year landing spot for him

Kaiser

Reaction score
lowney could use it as motivation, and he is a stout run defender. Griffen, is probably the better pass rusher.

That's what I keep going back to, our front 4 would be really tough against the run.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Remember when flip flopped on Hardy once his price went down and he was looking for a 1 year deal. I think there is a possibility that could happen with Clowney. With Lawrence on the other side, this could be a good 1 year landing spot for him

Greg Hardy? I don't think that is the right analogy, Hardy signed at the very beginning of FA and didn't have a big market because of the PR issues. Also Dallas have him a deal that potentially would have paid him 14MM, which was among the highest salaries at the time. But they were smart enough to structure if as 100% incentives for games played because of the questions hanging over him on suspensions, work ethic, etc.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Romo was done in Dallas.
I think Dak is an outstanding athlete.
But Dak hasn't showed the ability to be a franchise quarterback.
Dak isn't the answer.

Dak has definitely showed all the abilities to be a franchise QB. He made a huge leap this year as they opened up the offense and brought out the deep ball. Which many of us told you would happen if the actually opened things up.

The answer to what? We are lucky to have found the kid with a 4th round pick.

Even as a rookie, with a bad defense and Garrett as HC, this team went 13-3 and would have made it to the 2nd round with the way Dak played in that game. THAT right there told me all I needed to know about Dak.

THAT season alone proved Dak, even as a rookie was "the answer".

Guys like you were too busy crying about Romo to see that.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Depends on how you look at it, they can easily restructure DLaw, Martin, and Tyron. Cut Crawford - doing all of that frees up about $25-$30mil. This is a win now small window league.
I think Tlaw already restructured so we could sign cooper...but Crawford, martin and tyron for sure. I think having lewis, brown, auzie and logan would be good....insurance for auzie stepping backward if possible.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Griffen at $8 million without hesitation for me. Clowney has never lived up to the hype.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Clowney. Just because if Clowney gets 8-10 sacks, he will get big money somewhere. We would basically convert that cap space into a 3rd round pick.

Either one would be a short term solution. With Clowney we have a chance to get an asset out of it

Yes, but signing him now to a 1 year deal likely negates one of the 3rd round picks they already have coming.

Valkyr

Reaction score
Add DT Harrison and DE Griffen and the D-line is set
Stephen's expression when their agents are telling him how much they want

tenor.gif

Valkyr

Reaction score
If we by some miracle signed Clowney and he plays badly, how can we come up with a cutesy derisive nickname?

The guy already has 'Clown' in his name.