Which Head Coach that is available is better than Garrett right now?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I wonder which one of those coaches had an experienced franchise QB to start their HC coaching already in place...
is that all that's needed to succeed? any of those coaches with a franchise QB would have won the superbowl….wow...just wow

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I'm not assuming. I know Romo changes the plays. There have been many times where it was stated he changed up those plays based on the defensive alignment before the snap. If you think Garrett for some reason whispered into Tony's head to make those changes before the snap than I feel bad for you - and your lack of knowledge of football is showing.

Listen. If you keep believing that our offense revolved around Garrett and his genius playbook, why then did we do so bad when Tony was injured?
he did change plays. he was given a couple of options to call once he saw the defensive alignment. he didn't just call plays at LOS....and there are a lot of other QBs that do the same thing. its pretty standard in NFL...so its not unique to cowboys for you to try and make Romo into the guru of everything on offense. Manning, Brady, Rodger, Brees, rivers, Luck, Wilson....all do it...….

you lack of knowledge about football is astounding.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I think its hard to figure out what happened to Callahan. I know that when Linehan came he vouched for some of the run plays that Callahan implemented. Thus one reason why we had such success in running the ball. Callahan was given the run playcalling duties. While Linehan was in charge of the passing.

Say what you want about Callahan, he maybe a bad playcaller. But so was Garrett. Thus one of the reasons why Jones insisted he be a playcaller because Garrett was playcalling was ineffective.

Yes he did want to be playcaller. But that was why they brought in Linehan. Not because he was ineffective. He got pissed and left.

People criticize Jerry for meddling and so forth. But this is one instance I agree. It was good for the team to put Callahan as a playcaller. Thats because Garrett was bad at it and just couldn't do it. Thus more reason why he shouldn't be coach of the Cowboys.
garret as play caller under wade, had 3 top 10 offenses. one top 2.....the other year top 15 and it was some injuries on the line. so not sure what you refer to for garrett as a play caller.

Callahan never smelled anything close in all his years as a play caller. and the shared responsibilities was idiotic.....and thus Callahan got the boot and if he was so great as many claim, how come he never was even considered for any OC position in the league. he is stuck in Commanders land as OL coach and was passed over by a 32 year old unproven Sean Mcvey……

but somehow, just some how, all these coaches are the awsomest coaches in dallas and get pushed out, yet go other places and just amount to nothing...somehow that's garrett's fault, probably because he sucked out their brains....

Callahan was a crapppy head coach. crapppy OC. got his chance prior to dallas, left dallas and amounted to being only an OL coach, which is what he is good at. nothing wrong with that.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
he did change plays. he was given a couple of options to call once he saw the defensive alignment. he didn't just call plays at LOS....and there are a lot of other QBs that do the same thing. its pretty standard in NFL...so its not unique to cowboys for you to try and make Romo into the guru of everything on offense. Manning, Brady, Rodger, Brees, rivers, Luck, Wilson....all do it...….

you lack of knowledge about football is astounding.

If there’s one thing we know for sure about Romo, its that once he was up for renewal, he demanded that control of the play of the offense be given more to him and ceded from from Garrett. Then you have Romo admitting this year that Garrett was not an x and o guy.

Which says it all about what he thought about Garrett.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
If there’s one thing we know for sure about Romo, its that once he was up for renewal, he demanded that control of the play of the offense be given more to him and ceded from from Garrett. Then you have Romo admitting this year that Garrett was not an x and o guy.

I get what you are trying to do, but I don't think Romo had a real axe to grind with Garrett.

He, along with Witten, were part of the Get-A-Long gang.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
garret as play caller under wade, had 3 top 10 offenses. one top 2.....the other year top 15 and it was some injuries on the line. so not sure what you refer to for garrett as a play caller.

Callahan never smelled anything close in all his years as a play caller. and the shared responsibilities was idiotic.....and thus Callahan got the boot and if he was so great as many claim, how come he never was even considered for any OC position in the league. he is stuck in Commanders land as OL coach and was passed over by a 32 year old unproven Sean Mcvey……

but somehow, just some how, all these coaches are the awsomest coaches in dallas and get pushed out, yet go other places and just amount to nothing...somehow that's garrett's fault, probably because he sucked out their brains....

Callahan was a crapppy head coach. crapppy OC. got his chance prior to dallas, left dallas and amounted to being only an OL coach, which is what he is good at. nothing wrong with that.

What happened to th offense when Romo wasn’t the qb? Lol

Garrett is and was horrid. Even jones figured it out and demanded he give up play calling duties. Now it’s to the point where Garrett is all but taken completely away from the offense entirely.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I get what you are trying to do, but I don't think Romo had a real axe to grind with Garrett.

He, along with Witten, were part of the Get-A-Long gang.

It’s common knowledge that Romo wasn’t a Garrett guy.

cern

Reaction score
Jimmy just set the bar so high. The standard against which every coach who followed him will be measured. Tough act to follow. Maybe impossible.

cern

Reaction score
Romo was a Garrett guy until he didn't get his job back. Until then they were frequent attendees at mavericks and stars games. But not anymore.

mardwin

Reaction score
is that all that's needed to succeed? any of those coaches with a franchise QB would have won the superbowl….wow...just wow

Comparing them to Garrett is comparing apples and oranges; those guys inherited teams without talent and were not previously part of the organization.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Some people are just really good at there thing OC or DC and just are not HC material... I dont think Jackson is HC material but I could be wrong, I mean Raiders fired him after almost taking them to playoffs if I remember correctly.

Yes, and there have been "successful" NFL coaches who are probably not that good of a coach. I love him because he played some for the Cowboys and helped them win their first SB, but Mike Ditka imo wasn't a very good coach, you have a team with one of the top defenses of all time (1985 Bears) and lots of good players who were drafted/signed by the previous coach, doesn't take much coaching to win a SB (a la Switzer). And trading every one of your draft picks one year and some the next year for one player? That's pretty dumb...

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

he demanded? I guess you wrote the contract for him and you put in the clause...geeshhh people make shiet up on the fly...... and Romo admitted nothing...again, if you study football and care to learn, you will see the approach is pretty common among NFL teams and it has been fare longer than you have been on this earth.....

patience grass hopper you will learn...continue to meddle in conspiracy theories...that will get you far in life.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
What happened to th offense when Romo wasn’t the qb? Lol

Garrett is and was horrid. Even jones figured it out and demanded he give up play calling duties. Now it’s to the point where Garrett is all but taken completely away from the offense entirely.
when he had a capable back up, the team went 5-3, coming off of a 1-7 start....remember Kitna!? and when Romo was lost, he had Dak a rookie QB take the team to 13-3.... but I guess they don't count, you want to focus on the 4-12 season when Matt Cassel was brought off the street, yes, off the street, after not being on any team.....and we had Weeden as back up QBs....but I guess its Garrett's fault for not being able to feed you Filet Mignon, when given a pile of Shiet.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
when he had a capable back up, the team went 5-3, coming off of a 1-7 start....remember Kitna!? and when Romo was lost, he had Dak a rookie QB take the team to 13-3.... but I guess they don't count, you want to focus on the 4-12 season when Matt Cassel was brought off the street, yes, off the street, after not being on any team.....and we had Weeden as back up QBs....but I guess its Garrett's fault for not being able to feed you Filet Mignon, when given a pile of Shiet.

Kitna wasnt a capable backup, he was horrid. And other teams new it. Garrett should get the golden star award for even going 4-4. And lets not forget that Garrett beat the Eagles 3rd stringers by a hair to go 5-3. Hardly an accomplishment.

And how did he win those few games in the 2nd half? He did it by running the football. Something he refused to do the first 8 games when Wade was coaching. One of the big reasons we went 1-7.

Garrett is horrid. Facts are stubborn things. Unless Garrett has a franchise QB saving his hide, he cant coach his way out of a paper bag.

calicowboy54

Reaction score
Kitna wasnt a capable backup, he was horrid. And other teams new it. Garrett should get the golden star award for even going 4-4. And lets not forget that Garrett beat the Eagles 3rd stringers by a hair to go 5-3. Hardly an accomplishment.

And how did he win those few games in the 2nd half? He did it by running the football. Something he refused to do the first 8 games when Wade was coaching. One of the big reasons we went 1-7.

Garrett is horrid. Facts are stubborn things. Unless Garrett has a franchise QB saving his hide, he cant coach his way out of a paper bag.

I think we are really going to see what Garrett is made of this year... WE dont know if Dak is a Franchise QB and this year will tell us... NO TE, NO #1 WR (even if by name). Rookie starting on OL + a whole slew of coaches we are going to have to lean on for the in-game adjustments.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I think we are really going to see what Garrett is made of this year... WE dont know if Dak is a Franchise QB and this year will tell us... NO TE, NO #1 WR (even if by name). Rookie starting on OL + a whole slew of coaches we are going to have to lean on for the in-game adjustments.

Im not sure about the "we" part. There is no doubt in my mind whatsoever that Dak is the real deal. Very obvious to be honest.

And as far as Garrett its been 12 years as a coach and 7 or 8 years as a head coach. Its pretty clear what Garrett is, or is not.

Its nice to see that at least they are bringing in competent coaches. If you cant figure it out on your own, then bring in the people that can.

calicowboy54

Reaction score
Im not sure about the "we" part. There is no doubt in my mind whatsoever that Dak is the real deal. Very obvious to be honest.

And as far as Garrett its been 12 years as a coach and 7 or 8 years as a head coach. Its pretty clear what Garrett is, or is not.

Its nice to see that at least they are bringing in competent coaches. If you cant figure it out on your own, then bring in the people that can.

MY hope is Dak is the Real deal but all reports out of OTA is he's on and he's off, just like last year... I'm not saying he's the dude moving forward and I'm not saying he's not either, I just think next year we are going to know alot more about this team and where it sits... Its a pivotal year for both QB and Coach.

My Coach for next year is Greg Schiano