Which Head Coach that is available is better than Garrett right now?

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Garrett is a terrible coach. He doesn't do X and Os and all he does is clap and fanny slap players. His playbook is awful. Its one of the reasons why we have such a vanilla offense that is ineffective and doesn't produce points all these years.
That simply isn't true. Look at the offensive points the Cowboys scored over the years. Aside from the Weeden/Cassell disaster and last years Tyron/Zeke mess the Cowboys have consistently been a top 10+ highest scoring teams each year.

It's always been the defense that has let them down. Always.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Garrett still had a very talented team when he took over. He inherited a top #5 QB and an elite passrusher. Other coaches could have done a lot more for a lot less than what Garrett has done when he started out.

As for Carroll, sure he messed up with that call in the Superbowl which lost them the game. However, he is getting flack for it. Garrett has done more gaffes and lost more games during the waning moments because of bad calls or in decisions. Yet he doesn't get nearly the flack or criticism as any other established coach out there.

You can criticize all you want about Callahan but he was one of the major reason why we had success in 2014.Callahan brought results in one year more than any other time that Garrett called plays on offense. Even Linehan vouched for Callahan - and thus the reason why Jerry let Callahan also make "running" calls during that year.

Callahan left because Garrett was too stubborn. He is still stubborn till now. Thus one of the main reasons why this offense stalls in every possible way.
Detroit has had a top 5 QB and a lot more and hasn't accomplished a lot. the OL was horrible. just awful. that was partly why Romo was injured so much because he got hit so often. I think as a result his career ended early, as hits accumulated over the years. We had no RB. the WR was awful....with the likes of Patrick Crayton et. al. we had Ware and that was about it. it wasn't a talented team. it had two talented players. other coaches have done similarly with similar talent.

if that was the case, then just having a top notch QB and top notch defender should be the formula for everyone...who cares about the rest of the team....right?

actually Callahan wasn't one of the reasons we had success in 2014. he was removed as play caller 5 games into the season as the offense was struggling with his dink and dunk approach to offense, when it was built to attack down field and pressure the defense. as you may notice, Callahan never got another OC job..... that tells you what the league thinks of his OC ability.

and to your point, Jerry middling with how the team should operate.....and we wonder why this team has struggled for years......

Callahan left, because they gave him the OL coaching job. he wanted to do more. he left for Washington where he is........the OL coach....... that's his forte'....his record as OC during his coaching career sucked...

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
That simply isn't true. Look at the offensive points the Cowboys scored over the years. Aside from the Weeden/Cassell disaster and last years Tyron/Zeke mess the Cowboys have consistently been a top 10+ highest scoring teams each year.

It's always been the defense that has let them down. Always.
oh, don't bother with the facts...... it doesn't work.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
You realize those changes he made at the LOS were in the playbook, right? They weren't out there playing backyard football. Audibles at the LOS are common amongst every team. Peyton, Brady, Rodgers, Brees, etc all do it. They have to practice that stuff. Do you assume the hand signals and cadence calls were just made up on the fly?
nice job of teaching football, but according to these guys, Romo just drew the plays on the ground and the players just executed........

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Audibles were also done on the fly during game day by the QBs overriding what the coaches say or what is set in the playbook. Of course they practice it. But that doesn't mean its part of what the plan calls for. Romo was great in improvising or changing the plays up. He was given authority to do so like like Peyton, Brady and Rogers. However, thats to the credit of Romo - not coaching or anything with the playbook.

Garrett is too stubborn to make changes during game day. We were lucky we had Romo for many years to actually improvise and make changes on the fly without the direction of Garrett.
your understanding of NFL football is quite limited. teams make game plans and practice those during the week, they don't just pull plays out of thin air.....a lot of QBs get to call certain plays on the LOS once they see defensive adjustments...that's true for Rodgers, Brady, Brees, Rivers, Manning (both), etc.... its not unusual for QBs to do that.... Romo wasn't great at improvising plays and changing them up.....when plays broke down, he was good at scrambling, buying extra time and making plays....we ran a timing based offense, which took a lot of practice to get it right...you don't just improvise...

also, I guess in your opinion, none of the other coaches should get credit, since their QBs call plays at the LOS.....so why do they even huddle up?

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Detroit has had a top 5 QB and a lot more and hasn't accomplished a lot. the OL was horrible. just awful. that was partly why Romo was injured so much because he got hit so often. I think as a result his career ended early, as hits accumulated over the years. We had no RB. the WR was awful....with the likes of Patrick Crayton et. al. we had Ware and that was about it. it wasn't a talented team. it had two talented players. other coaches have done similarly with similar talent.

if that was the case, then just having a top notch QB and top notch defender should be the formula for everyone...who cares about the rest of the team....right?

actually Callahan wasn't one of the reasons we had success in 2014. he was removed as play caller 5 games into the season as the offense was struggling with his dink and dunk approach to offense, when it was built to attack down field and pressure the defense. as you may notice, Callahan never got another OC job..... that tells you what the league thinks of his OC ability.

and to your point, Jerry middling with how the team should operate.....and we wonder why this team has struggled for years......

Callahan left, because they gave him the OL coaching job. he wanted to do more. he left for Washington where he is........the OL coach....... that's his forte'....his record as OC during his coaching career sucked...

I think its hard to figure out what happened to Callahan. I know that when Linehan came he vouched for some of the run plays that Callahan implemented. Thus one reason why we had such success in running the ball. Callahan was given the run playcalling duties. While Linehan was in charge of the passing.

Say what you want about Callahan, he maybe a bad playcaller. But so was Garrett. Thus one of the reasons why Jones insisted he be a playcaller because Garrett was playcalling was ineffective.

Yes he did want to be playcaller. But that was why they brought in Linehan. Not because he was ineffective. He got pissed and left.

People criticize Jerry for meddling and so forth. But this is one instance I agree. It was good for the team to put Callahan as a playcaller. Thats because Garrett was bad at it and just couldn't do it. Thus more reason why he shouldn't be coach of the Cowboys.

Last edited:

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I am not so sure about being given a talented team. He helped turn that team over. 45 players in his first 3 years. by the time wade was fired, that team was sucked out of its talent. some may say medicore results, but you can also say we shouldn't have been better than a 6-10 team the first couple of years. with that offensive line specially.
What a joke. We had enough talent to start the year 7-4 before collapsing to 1-4 at the end. If Garrett hadn't botched the Cardinals game with one of the worst clock- and game-management performances in history (Ice Ice Bailey), that team would have won the division.

But because of his incompetence, people like you blame it all on lack of talent. Which is either totally misinformed or totally disingenuous.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
your understanding of NFL football is quite limited. teams make game plans and practice those during the week, they don't just pull plays out of thin air.....a lot of QBs get to call certain plays on the LOS once they see defensive adjustments...that's true for Rodgers, Brady, Brees, Rivers, Manning (both), etc.... its not unusual for QBs to do that.... Romo wasn't great at improvising plays and changing them up.....when plays broke down, he was good at scrambling, buying extra time and making plays....we ran a timing based offense, which took a lot of practice to get it right...you don't just improvise...

also, I guess in your opinion, none of the other coaches should get credit, since their QBs call plays at the LOS.....so why do they even huddle up?

I disagree. Romo always seem to be changing and moving people around before the ball was snapped. Watch the films. There were many times Romo would shift players around, say KILL, KILL, and snap the ball before time ran out.

Romo was great of changing the play before the ball is snapped and improvising. So I don't know where you got that info from.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
It's not uncommon that a QB sees and adjusts to the defense without a coach's direct input. However, these audibles are in the playbook. If a QB calling an audible is evidence of poor coaching, then there isn't a good coach in the league.

Exactly. If it's not in the playbook, what are they doing practicing those audibles?

Despite the common refrain, gameplanning generally includes the ability to adjust. Isn't an option play a microcosm of adjusting to the opposition? How do you think Romo predicts plays so well from the booth? Most offensive schemes in the NFL operate off of pre-snap reads. Teams go to the line with multiple options.

This seems like cognitive dissonance.

You acknowledge they practice this stuff. You acknowledge that it's common throughout the league. Yet you think coaches have nothing to do with it. Romo didn't learn that stuff on his own. His ability to put them in a good position is a testament to his football intelligence and his coaches. The whole team has to be on the same page when those adjustments are made. That only comes through practice.

That's the meme for some. Seems like frustrated fanspeak to me.

Yes Im frustrated. Im frustrated that Garrett is a terrible playcaller and someone who has gaffed many calls that made us lose games.

Secondly, you do know that Romo has been a QB longer has been an OC and even a coach right? Romo was also Romo and had success as a QB even before Garrett. So those plays that Romo changed up presnap, all probably what Romo worked on with individual players and possibly not part of the playbook.

You need to stop giving Garrett so much credit. He hasn't done much as an OC and even a coach. He was given the head coach job from a silver platter. Frankly, I'm surprised people here can't see how ineffective he really is. But thats their opinion and I can't change that.

cern

Reaction score
after garrett is released this year, we need to look at an up and coming oc to be our next head coach. someone like sean mcvay or kyle shanahan. what we don't need is another retread, former hc. there are more than enough of those rejects. I think will mcclay and Stephen will choose wisely.

rpntex

Reaction score
I think its hard to figure out what happened to Callahan. I know that when Linehan came he vouched for some of the run plays that Callahan implemented. Thus one reason why we had such success in running the ball. Callahan was given the run playcalling duties. While Linehan was in charge of the passing.

Say what you want about Callahan, he maybe a bad playcaller. But so was Garrett. Thus one of the reasons why Jones insisted he be a playcaller because Garrett was playcalling was ineffective.

Yes he did want to be playcaller. But that was why they brought in Linehan. Not because he was ineffective. He got pissed and left.

People criticize Jerry for meddling and so forth. But this is one instance I agree. It was good for the team to put Callahan as a playcaller. Thats because Garrett was bad at it and just couldn't do it. Thus more reason why he shouldn't be coach of the Cowboys.

Facts are pesky things...where do I begin?

Garrett was a bad playcaller? Let’s see…

In the seasons where he was strictly the offensive coordinator, Dallas ranked 3rd, 13th, 2nd, and 6th, in total offense. The year they ranked 13 was complicated by the fact that Romo was injured. The offense of ranking slept somewhat, though always in the top half of the NFL, for the three seasons he wore both the head coach and coordinator hats. It was obvious that wearing both of those hats was limiting his effectiveness, especially as a head coach. THAT’S why he was replaced as playcaller, not because he was bad at it.

By the way, Callahans leaving Dallas had nothing to do with the job he did as offensive coordinator. He got pissed and left because he was offered a coordinator job the season before, and Jerry Jones refuse to let him out of his contract. That being said, the offense had grown stagnant with him calling the plays. He needed to be taken out of that role.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Facts are pesky things...where do I begin?

Garrett was a bad playcaller? Let’s see…

In the seasons where he was strictly the offensive coordinator, Dallas ranked 3rd, 13th, 2nd, and 6th, in total offense. The year they ranked 13 was complicated by the fact that Romo was injured. The offense of ranking slept somewhat, though always in the top half of the NFL, for the three seasons he wore both the head coach and coordinator hats. It was obvious that wearing both of those hats was limiting his effectiveness, especially as a head coach. THAT’S why he was replaced as playcaller, not because he was bad at it.

By the way, Callahans leaving Dallas had nothing to do with the job he did as offensive coordinator. He got pissed and left because he was offered a coordinator job the season before, and Jerry Jones refuse to let him out of his contract. That being said, the offense had grown stagnant with him calling the plays. He needed to be taken out of that role.

I don't get why people here think because we rank highly was because of the coach and has nothing to do with our QB.

We ranked high because of Romo, not Garrett. And to think otherwise is being blind.

Before Garrett took over we already had good offense in place. Peyton was playcaller before Garrett took over. Garrett also had MBIII as running back. TO and Glenn as receivers. So basically, he inherited a good offense on a silver platter.

As for Callahan, the reason that he was given the role playing call in the first place because Garrett was ineffective. Even the Joneses knew that. Thus Callahan was given playcaller although he preferred to be just Oline coach.

The offense grew stagnant because of Garrett, not Callahan. And it was the main reason why Jerry give playcalling duties to Callahan.

Nonetheless, Callahan wanted out of Dallas. Maybe he was sick and tired of the "coach in training" status that Garrett got. While he had to do double duties as Oline coach and make play calls, which wasn't his job title. I would be too. Why have a coach who can't make calls and can't coach be the coach of the Cowboys?

What is Garrett now? Linehan makes the playcalls - and he has more authority to make calls this year because once again, because Garrett's style offense sucks and is ineffective.

Once again, your failing to see how valuable Romo was to this offense. You even stated that when Romo was injured was when we dropped ranking. Well, guess what? Maybe its because we were ranked so high because of Romo and very little to do with the Garrett's playcalling and the playbook.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The offense wasn't good enough under Garrett.
The offense *was* good enough under Garrett, but only because of Tony.
Did I say it was only good under Garrett because of Tony? I meant because of Tony, and Dak. The offense was only good under Garrett because of Tony and Dak.

And Linehan, who took over the play calling when it was TAKEN AWAY FROM GARRETT. I think that's about it, right?

Meanwhile, we can't stop good QBs on defense, the defense has gone from terrible to mediocre and it's still gotten us bounced out of the last two postseason games we played. But what do we spend our time criticizing? The offensive play calling and the playbook. Why?

I don't know.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

I beg to differ. yes, everyone hates garrett because according to them he was given everything on a silver platter. that's not his fault. as OC he produced top 10, top 5 offenses. as a HC+OC he struggled. garrett was a much more effective play caller than Callahan....and yes Callahan left because he wanted to be play caller...he went to Washington probably out of spite...and there...even a young unproven McVay got the nod over him as the OC. Callahan was ineffective as OC, including in Oakland.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
What a joke. We had enough talent to start the year 7-4 before collapsing to 1-4 at the end. If Garrett hadn't botched the Cardinals game with one of the worst clock- and game-management performances in history (Ice Ice Bailey), that team would have won the division.

But because of his incompetence, people like you blame it all on lack of talent. Which is either totally misinformed or totally disingenuous.
not a Joke and btw, icing the kicker is a misnomer, although in this case it happened to work. its been statistically proven that icing the kicker really doesn't work, its a low probability and it just happened in this case.. what people missed was one of the assistant coaches on the sideline was screaming for a Timeout and he reacted to that and called a time out...he trusted his coaches....at the end of the day, he is ultimately responsible. no denying that....

I don't think that team was that talented, and had a lot of holes on offense and defense. the early schedule was easier, the lat 4 games we played division games three times and lost them. yeah we should have won, but giants won the division and they were a more talented team than us. and no denying that that was his first full year of being a head coach and he did make mistakes....

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I disagree. Romo always seem to be changing and moving people around before the ball was snapped. Watch the films. There were many times Romo would shift players around, say KILL, KILL, and snap the ball before time ran out.

Romo was great of changing the play before the ball is snapped and improvising. So I don't know where you got that info from.
so do many other QBs....those are the adjustments today's QBs make on the LOS as they see the defensive line up...those are options available to them...so to think Romo was making up plays on the fly is just ridiculous. Brady shifts players around, Stafford, manning, brees, rivers, even last year wentz, etc....its the NFL...its expected of QBs. hardly anyone lines up and just runs a play without adjustments.... come on...be serious... this is too funny.

btw, mannings famous line is Omaha......

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I don't get why people here think because we rank highly was because of the coach and has nothing to do with our QB.

We ranked high because of Romo, not Garrett. And to think otherwise is being blind.

Before Garrett took over we already had good offense in place. Peyton was playcaller before Garrett took over. Garrett also had MBIII as running back. TO and Glenn as receivers. So basically, he inherited a good offense on a silver platter.

As for Callahan, the reason that he was given the role playing call in the first place because Garrett was ineffective. Even the Joneses knew that. Thus Callahan was given playcaller although he preferred to be just Oline coach.

The offense grew stagnant because of Garrett, not Callahan. And it was the main reason why Jerry give playcalling duties to Callahan.

Nonetheless, Callahan wanted out of Dallas. Maybe he was sick and tired of the "coach in training" status that Garrett got. While he had to do double duties as Oline coach and make play calls, which wasn't his job title. I would be too. Why have a coach who can't make calls and can't coach be the coach of the Cowboys?

What is Garrett now? Linehan makes the playcalls - and he has more authority to make calls this year because once again, because Garrett's style offense sucks and is ineffective.

Once again, your failing to see how valuable Romo was to this offense. You even stated that when Romo was injured was when we dropped ranking. Well, guess what? Maybe its because we were ranked so high because of Romo and very little to do with the Garrett's playcalling and the playbook.

it has everything to do with the QB...no coach can sustain success without a top notch QB...look at what happened to GB. take Brees out, what's going to happen to NO? the only coach who has been able to win consistently with backup QBs is bilicheck. the rest depend on their QB..... where did GB rank when Rodgers got injured? does it mean McCarthy sucks? look at what happened to Indy.....well bad example, their head coaches did suck...and Luck was savings them....look at SF, with and without Grapolo....same year, same players, same plays....5-0 with Grapolo and 1-10 without...let that sink in...1-10 and one of the worst teams in the league...just a game better than celveland....so yes, its all about the QB...its a QB driven league as they say...not sure why that's so hard to understand and why you hold that against Garrett...is he suppose to prove that he can win with average QB? well, he did, going 5-3 with Kitna in 2010...Kitna!!!!

and I agree, Peyton was a great play caller....Parcells grabbed him from NY, remember he was demoted and Parcells brought him in....and he left the year before Parcells left to take the NO job....so not sure why you bring him up...he has nothing to do with the conversation...the only thing I regret is that I wish parcells would have retired a year early and we would have hired Peyton....I am not denying the fact that Peyton is a better head coach.

in regards to MBIII......sorry, MBIII sucked...now you want to point him out as a good RB? he was average to below average....he was a change of pace power back that was starting out of necessity and we drafted to replace him...and didn't attempt to resign him and let him go.....in 2010, he lost out to Felix Jones...yeah, that Felix Jones....

and btw, Garrett as OC, during the wade era produced three top 10, one top 2 offense..... so not sure what your point is....if you are saying he inherited a good set of players, the results say he produced good results with the offense.

Callahan was a craapy OC....proven since he never got any offers from 31 other teams over the past 4 years to be an OC.....I guess you are right and 31 other GMs, head coaches are wrong!!!!! even in Washington, a 32 year old unproven McVey got the nod over him....... you can sit there and scream Callahan as much as you want, it doesn't change the facts....

and yes, Callahan wanted out of dallas, because he got demoted...he didn't like it...he left....and he wasn't sick of coach in training, he didn't take his demotion well.... Linehan a former head coach and a very good OC, was willing to take the job....this was more about Callahan's incompetence than anything else....paint it however you want....I

and again, I am not failing to see Romo's value....I see him just as valuable as Rodgers, Luck, Brady, Brees, Rivers, Wilson, etc..... they all rank so high because of their top QBs...see the stats for yourself....and based on your logic and the facts regarding top notch QBs....all head coaches must suck and be over rated....

btw, Romo was injured in 2010. Kitna an average QB towards the end of his career took the team to 5-3 record....

Haimerej

Reaction score
Yes Im frustrated.

It shows.

Im frustrated that Garrett is a terrible playcaller and someone who has gaffed many calls that made us lose games.

How do you know those plays weren't changed at the LOS?

Secondly, you do know that Romo has been a QB longer has been an OC and even a coach right? Romo was also Romo and had success as a QB even before Garrett. So those plays that Romo changed up presnap, all probably what Romo worked on with individual players and possibly not part of the playbook.

That's a big assumption seemingly based on your dislike of Garrett. There's no reason at all to believe that the audibles Tony or Dak called aren't part of the playbook and I would argue that common sense dictates they are in fact in the playbook.

You need to stop giving Garrett so much credit. He hasn't done much as an OC and even a coach. He was given the head coach job from a silver platter. Frankly, I'm surprised people here can't see how ineffective he really is. But thats their opinion and I can't change that.

Frankly, I'm surprised many people here think the team runs this well in spite of the guy in charge. But as you said, people have their own opinions.

Haimerej

Reaction score

Regarding the Bailey thing- why does the special teams coach get a pass? He's the one who wanted the timeout.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
It shows.

How do you know those plays weren't changed at the LOS?

That's a big assumption seemingly based on your dislike of Garrett. There's no reason at all to believe that the audibles Tony or Dak called aren't part of the playbook and I would argue that common sense dictates they are in fact in the playbook.

Frankly, I'm surprised many people here think the team runs this well in spite of the guy in charge. But as you said, people have their own opinions.

I'm not assuming. I know Romo changes the plays. There have been many times where it was stated he changed up those plays based on the defensive alignment before the snap. If you think Garrett for some reason whispered into Tony's head to make those changes before the snap than I feel bad for you - and your lack of knowledge of football is showing.

Listen. If you keep believing that our offense revolved around Garrett and his genius playbook, why then did we do so bad when Tony was injured?