Which Head Coach that is available is better than Garrett right now?

Haimerej

Reaction score
I'm not assuming. I know Romo changes the plays. There have been many times where it was stated he changed up those plays based on the defensive alignment before the snap.

That's how audibles work. It's universal across every team.

If you think Garrett for some reason whispered into Tony's head to make those changes before the snap than I feel bad for you - and your lack of knowledge of football is showing.

Lol... based on your assertions, you shouldn't be accusing anyone of lacking knowledge.

He didn't, "whisper in his ear." They went over this stuff in OTAs, training camp, the week of practice prior to the game, etc. Audibles are part of every playbook in the league. You don't seem to grasp that very simple point.

Listen. If you keep believing that our offense revolved around Garrett and his genius playbook, why then did we do so bad when Tony was injured?

Do you think the backups were on Tony's level? I mean... is that a serious question?

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
not a Joke and btw, icing the kicker is a misnomer, although in this case it happened to work. its been statistically proven that icing the kicker really doesn't work, its a low probability and it just happened in this case.. what people missed was one of the assistant coaches on the sideline was screaming for a Timeout and he reacted to that and called a time out...he trusted his coaches....at the end of the day, he is ultimately responsible. no denying that....

I don't think that team was that talented, and had a lot of holes on offense and defense. the early schedule was easier, the lat 4 games we played division games three times and lost them. yeah we should have won, but giants won the division and they were a more talented team than us. and no denying that that was his first full year of being a head coach and he did make mistakes....
His mistake in the Arizona game wasn’t icing the kicker. Icing the kicker is more of a poor reflection on Bailey than it is on Garrett.

That said, the problem was letting the clock run down instead of calling a timeout and running another play to try and shorten the 49 yard attempt. The Cowboys still had 2 timeouts and I believe 19 seconds remaining after the completion to put the Cowboys in FG range.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Im just pointing out the obvious and of course Romo changes the plays. You make it seem as if what Romo does is based on what Garrett told him to do. Your undervaluing what Romo has been for this team over the years and overvaluing Garrett's worth. Romo is the main reason why our offense did so well during those years - not Garrett.

In fact, Garrett's playbook and his stubborness held us back on offense.

Maybe you recalled the time that Brandon Weedon took over. When Brandon said that the reason why he didn't throw deep or make improvisation to the offense was he was told to follow the playbook. Many other players also have stated the same thing about the playbook also. Why do you think that Callahan replaced Garrett has playcaller? Doesn't it dawn on you that maybe its because Garrett actually sucks?

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
His mistake in the Arizona game wasn’t icing the kicker. Icing the kicker is more of a poor reflection on Bailey than it is on Garrett.

That said, the problem was letting the clock run down instead of calling a timeout and running another play to try and shorten the 49 yard attempt. The Cowboys still had 2 timeouts and I believe 19 seconds remaining after the completion to put the Cowboys in FG range.

Yes that was it. Its just another example of bad game management on Garrett's behalf. That was just one example.

Haimerej

Reaction score
Im just pointing out the obvious and of course Romo changes the plays. You make it seem as if what Romo does is based on what Garrett told him to do. Your undervaluing what Romo has been for this team over the years and overvaluing Garrett's worth. Romo is the main reason why our offense did so well during those years - not Garrett.

I've simply been saying the audibles are in the playbook.

In fact, Garrett's playbook and his stubborness held us back on offense.

His playbook has resulted in a consistently high rated offense. They didn't do that in spite of him.

Maybe you recalled the time that Brandon Weedon took over. When Brandon said that the reason why he didn't throw deep or make improvisation to the offense was he was told to follow the playbook. Many other players also have stated the same thing about the playbook also. Why do you think that Callahan replaced Garrett has playcaller? Doesn't it dawn on you that maybe its because Garrett actually sucks?

Got a source for that?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

not sure if the last statement makes sense. the cowboys made a 15 yard play on 3rd and 11 to get into field goal range. there was 8 seconds on the clock...calling a time out with 8 seconds to go....kind of in that range of trying to run a play and running out of time....they run a play, will the clock run out? will they have enough time to call another timeout..... We have baily, who is a very accuate kicker and had kicked 40-50 yard field goals routinely. I think he was risk averse, thinking we take a shot...if he misses we go to over time...it was a low scoring game, the defense had given up less than 300 yards, so defense had played well and we probably might get another chance to kick a field goal even if we don't get the ball in overtime...with that said, the plan didn't work out LOL...AZ got the ball and marched down the field and scored. yet another defensive collapse at the wrong time

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
not sure if the last statement makes sense. the cowboys made a 15 yard play on 3rd and 11 to get into field goal range. there was 8 seconds on the clock...calling a time out with 8 seconds to go....kind of in that range of trying to run a play and running out of time....they run a play, will the clock run out? will they have enough time to call another timeout..... We have baily, who is a very accuate kicker and had kicked 40-50 yard field goals routinely. I think he was risk averse, thinking we take a shot...if he misses we go to over time...it was a low scoring game, the defense had given up less than 300 yards, so defense had played well and we probably might get another chance to kick a field goal even if we don't get the ball in overtime...with that said, the plan didn't work out LOL...AZ got the ball and marched down the field and scored. yet another defensive collapse at the wrong time

There were more than 8 seconds on the clock. I believe there were 19 seconds left after the 15 yard completion. They let the clock run down prior to spiking the ball and stopping the clock with 8 seconds. They could have called their 2nd time out and ran another play, still having their 3rd timeout to stop the clock again to ensure they could still kick the FG.

And yes, the defense failed in overtime, but that doesn't mean settling for a 49 yard attempt with a rookie FG kicker who had already missed a 53 yarder earlier in the game wasn't a mistake. We had time to possibly shorten the attempt and didn't take it.

We did the same thing a year later in Baltimore and Dan missed a GW field goal attempt, too.

mardwin

Reaction score
Jason's record - 67 wins, 53 losses. Not great, correct.
You would rather have had Butch Davis? Career 24-35 record.
Romeo Crennel? 28-55, lost at least 10 games in 4 of 5 seasons.
David Shula? 19-53.
How about Hue Jackson? 1-31.

You entirely missed my point...

I wonder which one of those coaches had an experienced franchise QB to start their HC coaching already in place...

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
There were more than 8 seconds on the clock. I believe there were 19 seconds left after the 15 yard completion. They let the clock run down prior to spiking the ball and stopping the clock with 8 seconds. They could have called their 2nd time out and ran another play, still having their 3rd timeout to stop the clock again to ensure they could still kick the FG.

And yes, the defense failed in overtime, but that doesn't mean settling for a 49 yard attempt with a rookie FG kicker who had already missed a 53 yarder earlier in the game wasn't a mistake. We had time to possibly shorten the attempt and didn't take it.

We did the same thing a year later in Baltimore and Dan missed a GW field goal attempt, too.
I don't disagree. I think that game situations could have been handled better with a more experienced coach.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Regarding the Bailey thing- why does the special teams coach get a pass? He's the one who wanted the timeout.
The self-icing wasn't even the worst -- I just put that to identify the game. Far worse was letting 20-something seconds tick off the clock after the long completion to Dez before that. You know, the one where when Garrett was asked about it on Monday he replied, "I don't have a good answer for you there." Another example of him gutlessly refusing to take responsibility. Gotta maintain that genius public persona.

Maybe this article will remind you from when almost the same thing happened the very next season in Baltimore. Even DC can't deny it.
http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2012/10/14/time-wasted-final-moment-reminder-2011-arz-loss

Edit, I see Aviano already addressed it.

Haimerej

Reaction score
The self-icing wasn't even the worst -- I just put that to identify the game. Far worse was letting 20-something seconds tick off the clock after the long completion to Dez before that. You know, the one where when Garrett was asked about it on Monday he replied, "I don't have a good answer for you there." Another example of him gutlessly refusing to take responsibility. Gotta maintain that genius public persona.

Maybe this article will remind you from when almost the same thing happened the very next season in Baltimore. Even DC can't deny it.
http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2012/10/14/time-wasted-final-moment-reminder-2011-arz-loss

Edit, I see Aviano already addressed it.

So... why does the assistant get a pass for wanting the timeout?

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Garrett blew that AZ game, for sure. But the icing the kicker thing was incidental. If your ST coach needs a last second timeout, you give it to him.

But the clock management prior to end that game was terrible.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Garrett blew that AZ game, for sure. But the icing the kicker thing was incidental. If your ST coach needs a last second timeout, you give it to him.

But the clock management prior to end that game was terrible.
Agreed. My thought has always been that I don't care if all 6 timeouts were called by both teams, Bailey needs to make that kick. He also needs to make the kick despite the poor clock management.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I wonder which one of those coaches had an experienced franchise QB to start their HC coaching already in place...
Crennel had Derek Anderson, who went to the Pro Bowl. Not a franchise qb, but then again Garrett had Romo early in his career to start, not sure the 2007-08 Romo was a franchise qb. And Jackson? No matter who the qb, 1-31?

But as I've said, that's in the past, the original question was who would be a better coach NOW, I was just noting that there were far worse coaches that the Cowboys could have gotten, and just because Garrett is replaced (if he is) the next coach could end up with a Crennel or Jackson record. Just be careful what you wish for.

Not saying keep Garrett on for years and years, he's had plenty of chances, we need results this year (playoff winS at the least)...

calicowboy54

Reaction score
Crennel had Derek Anderson, who went to the Pro Bowl. Not a franchise qb, but then again Garrett had Romo early in his career to start, not sure the 2007-08 Romo was a franchise qb. And Jackson? No matter who the qb, 1-31?

But as I've said, that's in the past, the original question was who would be a better coach NOW, I was just noting that there were far worse coaches that the Cowboys could have gotten, and just because Garrett is replaced (if he is) the next coach could end up with a Crennel or Jackson record. Just be careful what you wish for.

Not saying keep Garrett on for years and years, he's had plenty of chances, we need results this year (playoff winS at the least)...

Some people are just really good at there thing OC or DC and just are not HC material... I dont think Jackson is HC material but I could be wrong, I mean Raiders fired him after almost taking them to playoffs if I remember correctly.