Which of these 10 guys do you draft at #18?

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
AsthmaField said:
Carpenter... but Lawson should be on the list too because I think there's a good chance we end up with him. Wimbley too.

IMO, OLB is the position we'll go for. Parcells loves LB's and it's a position that he's shown a propensity for nabbing in the opening stanza.

OL? I just don't think we'll go there. Jerry doesn't like to go OL in round 1 because you can get good OL in round 2. We've used a second on Larry Allen, Flozell Adams, Al Johnson, Andre Gurode, Solomon Page, Jacob Rogers, etc. I also think Parcells was freeing up the 18th pick when he signed Fabini.

WR? Parcells already hinted that he doesn't like to go WR in round 1 and with the signing of TO, I think its a lock that we don't use 18 on a WR.

QB? I doubt it.

RB? We're set there with 3 young backs that Parcells likes.

FB? Not in round 1, ever.

TE? I doubt it, unless a real stud falls to us like Vernon Davis.

DE? We're set there with Canty and Spears starting and Ellis and Ratliff as reserves. Highly doubtful we go DE at 18.

NT? Well, we do need a backup, but its a bit of a stretch to think that we'd go NT at 18 to use as a backup. Ngata would be nice, but he's most likely gone by the time we pick and I think Parcells wants a starter out of the first round. I also think Bill likes "Pepper" more than a lot of people think.

CB? Nope. We're set there too.

SS? We have plenty of guys who can play SS.

That leaves LB and FS.

FS? I just don't think Parcells wants to go FS in the first round. This is a position that you can find good players in the second round nearly every draft. This year should be no exception. Allen may very well be there at our second pick, or if they like him enough, it shouldn't cost too much to move up a few spots in the second to nab him.

That leaves LB. A position that is the most important in the 3-4. A position that Bill likes. A position that has plenty of good talent in this year's draft. Carpenter, Lawson, Wimbley... any one of the three would be a very good pickup at 18. We likely could drop a few spots and still get one of the three.

I just really can't see us going with any other position with our first pick. I say get ready to welcome an impact player at LB come draft day.

:hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Rack said:

You think LB too?

Oh, and I forgot to mention that we have a gaping hole at LB too. And with Ayodele being able to play inside or out... we can draft either an ILB or an OLB depending on who they like the best.

For instance, if they think Carpenter would really play best at ILB, they could draft him and move Ayodele outside. If they like Carpenter outside or if they fall in love with Lawson, then Ayodele can stay inside next to Bradie (which is his best position, IMO).

I think they have positioned themselves to have their choice of available LB's at number 18 and to be able to go inside or out, depending on who's available and who they like. They worked to not have to go OL or WR, and the hole they left at OLB is very telling IMO.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
AsthmaField said:
You think LB too?

Oh, and I forgot to mention that we have a gaping hole at LB too. And with Ayodele being able to play inside or out... we can draft either an ILB or an OLB depending on who they like the best.

For instance, if they think Carpenter would really play best at ILB, they could draft him and move Ayodele outside. If they like Carpenter outside or if they fall in love with Lawson, then Ayodele can stay inside next to Bradie (which is his best position, IMO).

I think they have positioned themselves to have their choice of available LB's at number 18 and to be able to go inside or out, depending on who's available and who they like. They worked to not have to go OL or WR, and the hole they left at OLB is very telling IMO.

Hell yes I think LB too. Not only is it currently our biggest need (outside of a kicker), but it will also be the strength of the draft when we're on the clock with the #18 pick.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Rack said:
it will also be the strength of the draft when we're on the clock with the #18 pick.

I think that as well. I think this is an outstanding crop of 3-4 LB's that is coming out this year. It's a very good draft to be a 3-4 team in need of a LB.

I just wish I knew the order that Parcells/Ireland/Jones has the LB's ranked... i.e. Hawk, Lawson, Carpenter, Wimbley.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
I went Carpenter simply becuase this defense puts an emphasis on solid play from there linebackers and requires a fair bit of depth at the position. Carpenter isn't the sexy pick, but he becomes a starter from day one.

WR does need to be addressed somewhere early though. The top three are impressive, but beyond that the Cowboys have virtually no one. Martin Nance would be a steal in my opinion in round two, he has alot of Keyshawn's physical ability and is apparently a pretty good guy to boot.

dwmyers

Reaction score
AMERICAS_FAN said:
If available, which of these 10 guys do you draft, and why?

I don't draft any of them at 18, I trade down if at all possible.

Silverstar

Reaction score
At #18 only?

From your selection, I'd have to go with CB/FS Jimmy Williams. At 6-2 213 with a 4.47 forty, he'll make a perfect FS in the pros. He's simply to heavy to play CB at the next level. He wouldn't be as effective against smaller WR's like Steve Smith or Santana Moss for example. He basically was switched to CB for financial reasons, but is a better free safety any way you slice it IMO.

:star: