Which of these 10 guys do you draft at #18?

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
wayne_motley said:
I don't care what our needs are...anyone who would draft Carpenter, who is supposed to be a 2nd round talent, instead of Justice, who is supposed to be gone before the #18 pick, doesn't know anything about football.:D

Justice won't be available, and I certainly don't want Carpenter, who is very overrated, imo....we don't need to use a pick that high on a college team's
2nd best lb....I'd certainly take one of the other LBs instead....trade down unless Jackson or Holmes are there.

Talk about not knowing anything about football...

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Rack said:
Talk about not knowing anything about football...
hahaha....just keep your eye on the situation....I haven't seen anyone project Carpenter anywhere but at the bottom of round 1 or top of round 2, and I'm betting we have no interest in him at all...we'll all know soon enough.

morasp

Reaction score
Lawson and Carpenter are second round talent. You want a blue chip player in the first round. The strength of this draft is running backs and outside linebackers. We're pretty set at running back so you go OLB. If Greenway falls to 18 we take him. Pick up a fast versatile safety in the second like Donte Whitner (4.44s 40) from the ohio state university who can cover and defend the run.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
i went with williams because i think he has the best value at 18 but seriously doubt we stay at 18 and consider it a near lock we trade down a few slots and nab carpenter.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'd take Justice. I think he has the ability to be the best offensive tackle in this draft. With proper motivation and coaching, he could be a Pro Bowl LT for years to come. And in my opinion, the Cowboy's biggest need is at tackle. (other than signing a decent veteran kicker).

:star:

Natedawg44

Reaction score
stasheroo said:
I'd take Justice. I think he has the ability to be the best offensive tackle in this draft. With proper motivation and coaching, he could be a Pro Bowl LT for years to come. And in my opinion, the Cowboy's biggest need is at tackle. (other than signing a decent veteran kicker).

:star:
There is alot of truth to that even though its not a sexy pick. The most important aspect of our team next year may be O-line. Our entire season may depend on how well we protect Bledsoe. Maybe we have already done it with Kosier and Fabini and Pettitti getting a year older or maybe we haven't.
That being said I voted for Chad Jackson :laugh1:

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
NickZepp said:
I would like to see us get the best safety in the draft if we don't address that in free agency. After that a LB will do.

Dallas, and other teams, typically do not draft pure free safeties in the first round. They typically either draft strong safeties or CBs and convert them to free safeties when they have aobve average zone-coverage-skills. I see Dallas going in either that route in the first round, or drafting an outside linebacker instead. I don't see Dallas drafting a pure free safety until the second round, that is if one worthy of the second-round pick falls to us. If not I see us going for offensive line in round two.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
jterrell said:
i went with williams because i think he has the best value at 18 but seriously doubt we stay at 18 and consider it a near lock we trade down a few slots and nab carpenter.

Exactly.

Who we won't draft?

Easy... we will not draft an o-lineman in the first.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would have said Holmes a week ago, but now with TO, I am saying Carpenter.

wxcpo

Reaction score
First choice would be Jimmy Williams. Second option would be to trade down for additional picks and take either Simms or Carpenter.

Manster54

Reaction score
IMHO, if Jimmy Williams is there, it is a no brainer. The guy is a ball hawking game breaker.

Lord Sun

Reaction score
JustSayNotoTO said:
If we draft another DB, the one team in the league with the same amount of #1's at the same position will be the Lions with their wideouts. FS's can be had later in the draft. I just do not see how spending #1's at DB helps this team when they need linebackers for the 3-4 and a starting caliber NT to backup Ferg. If the QB cant get the ball off, what difference does a first round pick on a FS make?

Seems to me the various units are interdependent, so one's weakness is another's strength. For instance, a better secondary means that receivers are covered downfield longer, giving the linebackers and defensive line a better chance to make a play. In other words, the QB won't be ABLE to get a play off if you have a great secondary.

Further to which, your comparison to the Lions fails to hold water. How many wide receivers take the field in a base offense? Two. How many defensive backs in a base defense? Four. PLUS your DB's usually contribute on special teams. In other words, you get much more (I'm sure someone can tell us how many plays a WR is typically in on, as opposed to a DB). So spending three high picks on wide receivers is NOT the same as spending three high picks on the secondary.

Would you have said the same if we had three great first-round linebackers?

HITBYROY31

Reaction score
Have to go with Carpenter. I could see him playing just like Vrabel does in the 3-4 for the Pats.

Reaction score
You have to like Jimmy Williams versatility because he can handle playing FS as well as CB, bargain with a bang!!!

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
why is Jesse Mahalona on that list?

David

Because with Laroi Glover out, the Cowboys may be looking to add to the DL, and Mahalona can play the traditional DT role or NT in the 4-3. In other words, he has versatility and solid talent, at least in MHO.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Carpenter... but Lawson should be on the list too because I think there's a good chance we end up with him. Wimbley too.

IMO, OLB is the position we'll go for. Parcells loves LB's and it's a position that he's shown a propensity for nabbing in the opening stanza.

OL? I just don't think we'll go there. Jerry doesn't like to go OL in round 1 because you can get good OL in round 2. We've used a second on Larry Allen, Flozell Adams, Al Johnson, Andre Gurode, Solomon Page, Jacob Rogers, etc. I also think Parcells was freeing up the 18th pick when he signed Fabini.

WR? Parcells already hinted that he doesn't like to go WR in round 1 and with the signing of TO, I think its a lock that we don't use 18 on a WR.

QB? I doubt it.

RB? We're set there with 3 young backs that Parcells likes.

FB? Not in round 1, ever.

TE? I doubt it, unless a real stud falls to us like Vernon Davis.

DE? We're set there with Canty and Spears starting and Ellis and Ratliff as reserves. Highly doubtful we go DE at 18.

NT? Well, we do need a backup, but its a bit of a stretch to think that we'd go NT at 18 to use as a backup. Ngata would be nice, but he's most likely gone by the time we pick and I think Parcells wants a starter out of the first round. I also think Bill likes "Pepper" more than a lot of people think.

CB? Nope. We're set there too.

SS? We have plenty of guys who can play SS.

That leaves LB and FS.

FS? I just don't think Parcells wants to go FS in the first round. This is a position that you can find good players in the second round nearly every draft. This year should be no exception. Allen may very well be there at our second pick, or if they like him enough, it shouldn't cost too much to move up a few spots in the second to nab him.

That leaves LB. A position that is the most important in the 3-4. A position that Bill likes. A position that has plenty of good talent in this year's draft. Carpenter, Lawson, Wimbley... any one of the three would be a very good pickup at 18. We likely could drop a few spots and still get one of the three.

I just really can't see us going with any other position with our first pick. I say get ready to welcome an impact player at LB come draft day.