Which of these 10 guys do you draft at #18?

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
JustSayNotoTO said:
You do know the game is won or lost in the trenches? What playoff teams last year had 3 #1 picks in their secondary? It is overkill. Especially with a gaping hole at OLB that I dont really expect Singleton to fill.
You said "ANYONE" but a FS. My first pick was for an OLB but only because I think there is better value at that position. I sure don't want to reach for an OL at #18 and any OL that drops that far will be a reach in the first round. And we pretty well bloistered our DL in last years draft and FA. So the trenches are covered as far as the 1st round goes IMO unless Nagata drops to us. He is the only guy in the trenches that I would take in the first. So why not FS if the value is there? It is a position of need whereas some of the other positions would be for depth or insurance such as WR. Using your arguement we shouldn't go OLB because we used a 1st last year on an OLB...makes no sense to me.

Cochese

Benched
Reaction score
JackMagist said:
You said "ANYONE" but a FS. My first pick was for an OLB but only because I think there is better value at that position. I sure don't want to reach for an OL at #18 and any OL that drops that far will be a reach in the first round. And we pretty well bloistered our DL in last years draft and FA. So the trenches are covered as far as the 1st round goes IMO unless Nagata drops to us. He is the only guy in the trenches that I would take in the first. So why not FS if the value is there? It is a position of need whereas some of the other positions would be for depth or insurance such as WR. Using your arguement we shouldn't go OLB because we used a 1st last year on an OLB...makes no sense to me.

Right, my argument would be to not take an OLB if we have allready used 2 #1's and a high priced FA signing in the recent history on the position, you are not getting it here.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
JustSayNotoTO said:
Right, my argument would be to not take an OLB if we have allready used 2 #1's and a high priced FA signing in the recent history on the position, you are not getting it here.
Oh I'm getting it...I'm just not agreeing with it. I guess we will just have to agree to disagree.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
I happen to be a guy that loves Gabe Watson, but there are more pressing needs at this time like OLB/FS. If somehow we can maybe pick up Arrington or FS Lance Schultz or both, then I would go after Watson big time.

EMMITTnROY

Reaction score
Im with Jack on this one..

was Roy Williams a waste? NO
was Terence Newman a waste? NO
was picking up Anthony Henry a waste? NO

point is, Roy and Newman were both taken #1, and they are VERY important to our defense.. Henry got a big contract and is worth every penny if he stays healthy and plays like he did last year..

if Ko Simpson or Jimmy Williams ends up being the next Ed Reed at the FS position, would that be a waste? NO

it would mean that we have the best secondary in the league for a long time and that all these pass-happy offenses are scared to death of playing us for the next decade..

Keith Davis has the chance to give up a lot more points than either Kevin Burnett or Al Singleton do this year.. think about that..

cowboysfan31

Reaction score
Cowboy_love_4ever said:
I happen to be a guy that loves Gabe Watson, but there are more pressing needs at this time like OLB/FS. If somehow we can maybe pick up Arrington or FS Lance Schultz or both, then I would go after Watson big time.

Gabe Watson doesn't impress me, I'd take Babatunde Oshinowo over him. Watson's work ethic and ability to disappear have me very concerned.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
EMMITTnROY said:

point is, Roy and Newman were both taken #1, and they are VERY important to our defense.. Henry got a big contract and is worth every penny if he stays healthy and plays like he did last year..

if Ko Simpson or Jimmy Williams ends up being the next Ed Reed at the FS position, would that be a waste? NO

it would mean that we have the best secondary in the league for a long time and that all these pass-happy offenses are scared to death of playing us for the next decade..

Keith Davis has the chance to give up a lot more points than either Kevin Burnett or Al Singleton do this year.. think about that..
Don't forget Huff and Jason Allen. Jason Allen would've been a high 1st last year had he come out and not had the injury.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
cowboysfan31 said:
Gabe Watson doesn't impress me, I'd take Babatunde Oshinowo over him. Watson's work ethic and ability to disappear have me very concerned.
Not under Bill Parcells. When he's motivated "Parcells", he's an absolute BEAST.

EMMITTnROY

Reaction score
Cowboy_love_4ever said:
Don't forget Huff and Jason Allen. Jason Allen would've been a high 1st last year had he come out and not had the injury.
yes, good point on Jason Allen..

and I could only WISH that Huff would be there.. I think he will be long gone by the time we pick.. and he might be playing CB instead of FS..

Cochese

Benched
Reaction score
EMMITTnROY said:

You cant have pro bowlers at every position, and if I had to pick a position to not have one at, it would be FS.

On a different note, Gabe Watson can be an absolute monster of a player, but then disapear into nothingness the next week. I like his potential alot, but only with a coach that could bring it out of him.

NickZepp

Reaction score
I would like to see us get the best safety in the draft if we don't address that in free agency. After that a LB will do.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
theogt said:
Sliding to 18? Just last week everyone had him slotted as a reach at 18. I've only seen a couple mocks have him above 18, and they had him at 12. That's not gonna happen.

The exact same thing was said about drafting Ware at 11 last year.

Not saying Lawson will be better then Ware, but he is about the same size, but ran faster then Ware, and played against better competition in college.

He very well could be a top 15 pick. Easily.

A little better secondary would have stopped Moss and won us that first Washington game which would have put us in the playoffs.

There was nothing wrong with the coverage on the second Moss TD. The ball just went through Glenn's hands. That kind of thing happens to the best of players. Drafting a DB at 18 wouldn't change that.

Not to mention the fact that it would be a bad move to draft Huff at 18 anyway.

*waits for the flaming from Texas fans to begin*

You obviously completely missed the point.

Pretty simplistic way of putting it. Too bad it's not true.

An OLB for a 3-4 defense (a good one) will make a lot more of an impact then a FS.

Think about that.

Bobby Carpenter would be my pick (from that list).

EMMITTnROY

Reaction score
Rack said:
Pretty simplistic way of putting it. Too bad it's not true.

An OLB for a 3-4 defense (a good one) will make a lot more of an impact then a FS.

Think about that.

yes, a good OLB might make more of an impact than a good FS.. but we are not talking about a good FS.. we are talking about a bad one.. my point, Burnett and Singleton are decent.. Davis is not.. a bad FS will make more of an impact than a decent OLB.. but not in a good way..

think about that.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
EMMITTnROY said:
yes, a good OLB might make more of an impact than a good FS.. but we are not talking about a good FS.. we are talking about a bad one.. my point, Burnett and Singleton are decent.. Davis is not.. a bad FS will make more of an impact than a decent OLB.. but not in a good way..

think about that.

Let me put it this way, any of those LBs is better then any of those FSs in the draft.

I'd take Lawson and/or Carpenter before taking any of those DBs. Huff is severely overrated by the Texas fans here. Jimmy Williams didn't have near as good a season as he did in 2004, and he's got off the field issues.

If we were to take any of them, it would be after a trade down. If we stay at 18 the value will be at LB.

Plus, there will probably be one of those guys available for us in the second anyway.

EMMITTnROY

Reaction score
Rack said:
Let me put it this way, any of those LBs is better then any of those FSs in the draft.

I'd take Lawson and/or Carpenter before taking any of those DBs. Huff is severely overrated by the Texas fans here. Jimmy Williams didn't have near as good a season as he did in 2004, and he's got off the field issues.

If we were to take any of them, it would be after a trade down. If we stay at 18 the value will be at LB.

Plus, there will probably be one of those guys available for us in the second anyway.
OK, thats a totally different argument.. that logic I can agree with.. :toast:

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
EMMITTnROY said:
OK, thats a totally different argument.. that logic I can agree with.. :toast:

I have a feeling, maybe it's just wishful thinking, that Jason Allen will be there in the second round.

I'd rather have Carpenter or Lawson in the first, and Allen in the second then to have any of those DBs in the first, and whatever falls to us in the second.

One of those FSs will fall to about the midway point of the second round, I'm just hoping the fall just a tad past that halfway point.

EMMITTnROY

Reaction score
Rack said:
I have a feeling, maybe it's just wishful thinking, that Jason Allen will be there in the second round.

I'd rather have Carpenter or Lawson in the first, and Allen in the second then to have any of those DBs in the first, and whatever falls to us in the second.

One of those FSs will fall to about the midway point of the second round, I'm just hoping the fall just a tad past that halfway point.

that would actually be my dream scenario too.. Lawson/Carpenter in the first and Allen in the second.. I guess the thing is, my fear is going into next season with Keith Davis or Justin Beriault or some 3rd round reach as our only FS candidates..

Jay

Reaction score
Don't forget about the June 1st cuts, but I agree: I think we have to go with a FS in either the 1st or 2nd round, depending on what we do (keep the pick, trade down).

And I also believe we can find a good one in the 2nd.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I don't care what our needs are...anyone who would draft Carpenter, who is supposed to be a 2nd round talent, instead of Justice, who is supposed to be gone before the #18 pick, doesn't know anything about football.:D

Justice won't be available, and I certainly don't want Carpenter, who is very overrated, imo....we don't need to use a pick that high on a college team's
2nd best lb....I'd certainly take one of the other LBs instead....trade down unless Jackson or Holmes are there.

ghst187

Reaction score
how do you leave off Lawson? I think that Lawson will go before Carpenter.