FEATURED Which ONE Cowboys player has performed better than you expected this season?

AbeBeta

Reaction score
One vote for Conner McGovern. He gets better each week. Even WIP in Philadelphia said Hargreaves and Malik Jackson were INVISIBLE.

Different game without Cox in there. He's one of only a few that can sometimes get the better of Zack.

Shake_Tiller

Reaction score
Schultz.

He is a reminder, in an Instant Coffee world, some players need time. He had a reputation in college as a good blocker. But he needed to get stronger to live up to the rep in the NFL. That he has done.

Throwback TE. Not a guy to create mismatches in the passing game. But he is reliable, a good blocker, a good pass catcher, and a better athlete than anticipated.

I think he and Jarwin will complement each other really well.

Manster_Mash

Reaction score
Gregory. He's been far more effective than I thought he'd be after being gone for so long. No rust at all. He's better now than he was before the last suspension.

MCMetal69

Reaction score
Brandon Knight.............I never even heard of him and was expecting him to be overwhelmed like our 'all-time great' , Chaz Green...........

csirl

Reaction score
Niswander

No name undrafted punter who wasnt outstanding at college.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
For me it is clearly Dalton Schultz, He was a guy I was not even sure he would make the team. He got his chance and has made the plays when they come his was. 56 catches on the season with 4 TD, not bad when you got 3 great WR who getting the vast majority of targets

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Dalton ......Andy !! better than expected. also the other dalton has surpassed what most thought.

Hook'em#11

Reaction score
Schultz.

He is a reminder, in an Instant Coffee world, some players need time. He had a reputation in college as a good blocker. But he needed to get stronger to live up to the rep in the NFL. That he has done.

Throwback TE. Not a guy to create mismatches in the passing game. But he is reliable, a good blocker, a good pass catcher, and a better athlete than anticipated.

I think he and Jarwin will complement each other really well.

My first thought as well. Agreed.

Manster68

Reaction score
This is a surprising one, but I may agree. Some of it has to do with my very low opinion coming into the year, but I don't find myself cussing him several times each game. With health, our o-line could get back to being a major strength next year and have some nice depth too.
I also think Joe Philbin has done a great job with McGovern and the rest of that offensive line.

cristglo

Reaction score
Since you asked 'What player exceeded my expectation this year"
I have to say clearly Dalton Shultz. His first two seasons he looked horrible. He looked so lost and was getting thrown around like he was a rag doll. Last year I had expectations for him and he was still horrible. This year I wanted him cut thought he was a wasted roster space and when Jarwin went down I was in the mode we DONT have a TE.
Dalton came in and played above avg on a consistent basis his blocking, route running and toughness was way more then I expected and he IMO has earned a starting role.

eyedoc

Reaction score
Which ONE Cowboys player has performed better than you expected this season?

While you can post about anyone on the Cowboys you want, remember to focus on that "better than you expected" part of the question :D
Steele and Gregory

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
So many to choose from.

Schultz, knight, steele to name a few. The later 2 especially because of their draft pedigree.

kskboys

Reaction score
For me it has to be Dalton Schultz.

I did not think he was bad by any means before this year, but when he had a chance to play in previous seasons, it always seemed like he was just a placeholder for the next tight-end draft pick, especially with the emergence of Blake Jarwin.

Schultz has made some really good plays as a receiver this season, but what has really surprised me is his blocking ability.

He has done a great job of not only blocking at the line but also blocking down field to help extend plays.

We all noticed that Jason Witten had lost a step in his last few years here, but the biggest change was the decline in his blocking skills during the 2017 season before he temporarily retired, and when he came back in 2019, they were not any better.

Seeing what Schultz has done this year both receiving and especially with blocking, it just reinforces the idea that you need to give the younger players more time on the field to really see what you have with them.

Which player has performed better than you expected?
Whenever I saw Schultz play, I always loved his feet and his tenacity. I thought we might get this from him if we'd ever play him.

He's like Witten, doesn't really look good on paper.

The only shockers to me have been the OL's coming out of nowhere to play reasonably well. That Steele kid came out of nowhere

kskboys

Reaction score
Honestly, none.

Perhaps my expectations were high but Schultz, Gregory, CeeDee, Pollard, Gallimore, Diggs and more....they are all doing what I knew they could.
That's the way I feel.

Aside from the OL's coming out of nowhere, I'm not shocked.

Carson

Reaction score
Schultz ... I even labeled him a bust after week W

Nismander ... yeah. Can we never see Chris Jones again? Thank you

Wilson ... felt he was just average and couldn’t cover. He’s a playmaker

exciter

Reaction score
Wilson at safety.

To start the year I was stuck between on if he sucked, hence why not getting PT or if the staff was stuck on playing the vets just because. Cause watching D Thompson and Woods play was a terrible thing to endure.

Seems like early on the answer was the latter.

Honorable mention to Erving & Knight at LT
According to the camp reports by Broaddus last year he only played the position one year in college converting from corner. He was mentioned several times as needing a year or two to develop and learn the position. He should now be the poster child of why you give developmental players like Anae and Robinson time to do so. A little patience and you could end up with a player instead of some mentally blown up kid out of the league in 2 years!