FEATURED Which ONE Cowboys player has performed better than you expected this season?

805BoysInBlue

Reaction score
Ceedee Lamb. I didn't expect him to be so close to having a 1000 yards season as a rookie

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
For me it has to be Dalton Schultz.

I did not think he was bad by any means before this year, but when he had a chance to play in previous seasons, it always seemed like he was just a placeholder for the next tight-end draft pick, especially with the emergence of Blake Jarwin.

Schultz has made some really good plays as a receiver this season, but what has really surprised me is his blocking ability.

He has done a great job of not only blocking at the line but also blocking down field to help extend plays.

We all noticed that Jason Witten had lost a step in his last few years here, but the biggest change was the decline in his blocking skills during the 2017 season before he temporarily retired, and when he came back in 2019, they were not any better.

Seeing what Schultz has done this year both receiving and especially with blocking, it just reinforces the idea that you need to give the younger players more time on the field to really see what you have with them.

Which player has performed better than you expected?

Agree. Schultz has exceeded expectations more than any other player, IMO.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One vote for Conner McGovern. He gets better each week. Even WIP in Philadelphia said Hargreaves and Malik Jackson were INVISIBLE.

Many of us expected him to be OK if he played, but props to him for meeting expectations.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This won't be popular, but Steele and Knight.
If someone had told me that they would have been our starting Ts for the majority of the season I would have predicted that this offense would have been dead in the water. They are far from world-beaters, but they have done a decent job.

Yes, they should get props for managing to be "good enough".

Nobody expected Steele to do anything.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
Offence - Schultz. Those times the coaching staff let Witten trot out there stole any understanding the fans had of what Schultz and Jarwin are capable of. I am really excited about the TE corps next year.
Defence - Aldon Smith. I was worried about this situation. I know he may have tailed off this year, but what he has given the team is way more than I expected.
Special Teams - Niswander. I don't think Hunter has been ProBowl, but given the production we were getting from Jones this was a pleasant surprise. I think he has been an asset in the field position game.
C.J. Goodwin - I never expected Goodwin to turn out to be the Special Teams leader he has become. I think the addition of Fassel as the coach of the unit has really energized the guys and especially C.J.

Out of the four I have listed I would have to give the nod to Schultz. He has been incredibly consistent this year, and add fresh youthful legs in a year when we could have been down on the position after Jarwin got hurt. Just a really pleasant surprise.

MoistMayonnaise

Devil's Advocate
Reaction score
As has been noted in multiple posts, Dalton Schultz. that guy wasn't even on the Cowboy's radar when training camp started. A close second is CD. He has surpassed my expectations and will be a game changer starting next year.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Which ONE Cowboys player has performed better than you expected this season?

While you can post about anyone on the Cowboys you want, remember to focus on that "better than you expected" part of the question :D
hill before injury, Gallimore, Shultz, Wilson(S), Diggs, and any of he backups on the OL

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Agreed with Schultz as top option but short list:

Connor Williams. Definitely stepped up his play and no longer getting blown up.
Donovan Wilson. He still busts a play every now and then... see DeSean Jackson TD but he fills a 4-3 LB/SS hybrid role so well.
Randy Gregory. He was re-instated late and had to seemingly play his way into football shape but his raw speed at this age after that long out of football is insane

These 3 guys all start for me next year and they were all question marks for me coming in.