Which prospect at 19 is “slam dunk” for Cowboys & which would have you “shaking your head”?

Sydla

Reaction score
Vea slam dunk

Hernandez, Sutton....... shake my head

dallasdave

Reaction score
My slam dunk pick is actually three names: Isaiah Wynn, Will Hernandez, or James Daniels, because all would solve the left guard issue. I still think that is the one issue the Cowboys have to fix first and with as close to a sure fire starter as possible. All other current needs can be met in round two and later. Give me that stud guard prospect and I will do my happy dance.
Shaking my head: WR Calvin Ridley. You can plug any other wide receiver in there, as well. Dallas is moving away from the traditional model for the passing game (I think, and don’t need to sink a major pick into the position). So many mocks and analyses now say that receiver is the top need, and I just don’t agree, especially with what looks like a lot of second round and on talent at the position. Plus, I am not convinced there is a legit Top-20 wide receiver in the 2018 class right now. I really think there are a bunch of great second round talents but not anyone that just screams at us that they will dominate from day one. It’s like the quarterback group. None of the top four or five candidates are really Top-5 or even Top-10 talents but the scarcity in the league is going to make teams overpay for them.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...owboys-which-would-have-you-shaking-your-head
Yeah, a big , dominant , nasty OL would be great then trade up into the bottom of the 1st or top of the 2nd round to get a good WR. The best of both worlds.

dallasdave

Reaction score
:clap:there be no argument from me should they scoop up a big dominating dog for the O.L.
as it's an issue that must be addressed, I'll be somewhat disappointed once again seeing the misdirected allocations of prime draft capital resources expended in the first round for it though, the concerted effort in last years draft in the long overdue revamping of the defensive secondary is proving to be rather impressive,,, one more committed surge by the FO in this years draft in rounding out the DEFENSIVE half of the team will reap stellar dividends;)

* once I recover from hurling my fandom up & going blind,,,I'll Stoke the flames of hatred should a WR be taken at the #19 picko_O
A big ole nasty OL to move the chains :dance:

Rayman70

Reaction score
We run the rock 30-40 times per as a team..or at least,thats what I expect will happen in 2018. That said,I want Hernandez. He fits the bill. I would prefer to trade down a few spots before I pick him though...thus gaining a pick or 2.

Rayman70

Reaction score
A big ole nasty OL to move the chains :dance:
He who has the most dominating oline ALWAYS has a chance to not only reach the post season..but to win it all. Look at the Jags. They had no right to be in the playoffs last year..but they did because of that oline and a solid run game. The defense was solid as well. It can be done. Football games are not won from the back end up...its the opposite..you win by building the trenches first.

J32969

Reaction score
My slam dunk pick is actually three names: Isaiah Wynn, Will Hernandez, or James Daniels, because all would solve the left guard issue. I still think that is the one issue the Cowboys have to fix first and with as close to a sure fire starter as possible. All other current needs can be met in round two and later. Give me that stud guard prospect and I will do my happy dance.
Shaking my head: WR Calvin Ridley. You can plug any other wide receiver in there, as well. Dallas is moving away from the traditional model for the passing game (I think, and don’t need to sink a major pick into the position). So many mocks and analyses now say that receiver is the top need, and I just don’t agree, especially with what looks like a lot of second round and on talent at the position. Plus, I am not convinced there is a legit Top-20 wide receiver in the 2018 class right now. I really think there are a bunch of great second round talents but not anyone that just screams at us that they will dominate from day one. It’s like the quarterback group. None of the top four or five candidates are really Top-5 or even Top-10 talents but the scarcity in the league is going to make teams overpay for them.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...owboys-which-would-have-you-shaking-your-head

I totally agree with this. We cut/lost 2 and signed 2. I think WR is one of the least needed positions. Fix the OL early and go heavy on defense the rest of the draft.

J3

btcutter

Reaction score
:clap:there be no argument from me should they scoop up a big dominating dog for the O.L.
as it's an issue that must be addressed, I'll be somewhat disappointed once again seeing the misdirected allocations of prime draft capital resources expended in the first round for it though, the concerted effort in last years draft in the long overdue revamping of the defensive secondary is proving to be rather impressive,,, one more committed surge by the FO in this years draft in rounding out the DEFENSIVE half of the team will reap stellar dividends;)

* once I recover from hurling my fandom up & going blind,,,I'll Stoke the flames of hatred should a WR be taken at the #19 picko_O

I wholeheartedly agree that 5 1st round picks in your OL is ridiculously overkill and misallocation of resources.

Vea, Roquan and James are Slam Dunk.

I am torn about WR in the 1st but you are also not guarantee that you'll get your guy in the 2nd. Wonder if we are overthinking it with Ridley. The guy is proven WR. Great WR makes thing look easy which is exactly what he does. Subtle adjustments and precise route running with good speed that he doesn't get caught from behind....dare I say reminds me of Marvin Harrison and Jerry Rice type player??!!

btcutter

Reaction score
He who has the most dominating oline ALWAYS has a chance to not only reach the post season..but to win it all. Look at the Jags. They had no right to be in the playoffs last year..but they did because of that oline and a solid run game. The defense was solid as well. It can be done. Football games are not won from the back end up...its the opposite..you win by building the trenches first.

Agree with the TRENCH building. But I think we've done enough with the OL with FOUR 1st round talents that we should use another 1st round resource for the OL.
The DL is what will benefit the most with infusion of talent. Jags won because of BOTH lines. Their DL was even more dominating than their OL. IMO, our DL is the one that seriously need 1st round talent.

vig454

Reaction score
I'm wiping everything off my draft table! I am pulling a Mike Ditka :D I want D.J Moore as bad as I wanted the boys to draft Zeke .

Pants

Reaction score
favorite (somewhat) realistic player is Ro Smith, with all of the QB's to perhaps go, he could fall a bit, but I don't see him being there...I would be giddy like I was when they chose Awuzie last year and Jaylon the year before

also, the more I look around at the players, the more I LOVE James
DJ Moore is my favorite receiver in this draft with Sutton a close 2nd...I want no part of Ridley, and technically, I don't want any WR at #19

I didn't include guys like Nelson that will be gone

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
I think Wynn is a slam dunk. Not only is he a day one starter that solidifies the line he could also be insurance for Tyrons bad back. Fleming is only on a one year contract. OG is the biggest need.

The pick that would have me shaking my head is TE. I know Witten will leave some day but I am tired of wasting valuable draft picks on TE's. When Witten finally hangs them up, talk to me about it then.

cowboyec

Reaction score
slam dunk for me
ridley
sutton
evans
payne
daniels

shaking my head
te

Rayman70

Reaction score
Agree with the TRENCH building. But I think we've done enough with the OL with FOUR 1st round talents that we should use another 1st round resource for the OL.
The DL is what will benefit the most with infusion of talent. Jags won because of BOTH lines. Their DL was even more dominating than their OL. IMO, our DL is the one that seriously need 1st round talent.
WE CAN DO BOTH AT ONCE.

CPanther95

Reaction score
Shake my head:
Any OL or WR - unless Nelson inexplicably drops to #19

Slam Dunk:
Best LB or DL on the board at #19.

bodi

Reaction score
Slam Dunk Evans

Shake my head - any OL or WR

Silverstar

Reaction score
Slam Dunk at 19
Saquon Barkley (obviously)
Quenton Nelson (obviously)
Tremaine Edmunds
Bradley Chubb
Derwin James
Minkah Fitzpatrick
Roquan Smith
Vita Vea

SMH at 19
Any QB, OT, TE, CB, RB
Taven Bryan
Maurice Hurst
DaRon Payne
Ronnie Harrison
Arden Key
Sam Hubbard
Lorenzo Carter

I'm ok if picked at 19
Marcus Davenport
Harold Landry
LVE

Trade down
DJ Moore (only WR I take in 1st)
Will Hernandez
Isaiah Wynn
Rashaan Evans
Justin Reid (yep I like him)

Last edited:

Aven8

Reaction score
I'm sorry as badly needed a LG is, if we pick one at 19 I will be shaking my head. If we can't pick one round 3 and on and it make it work our scouts and coaches need to be canned!

sdfidaho

Reaction score
I don’t get what the big deal would be if an OL was taken at #19.
I don’t care how many 1st rounders are spent if it solidifies the offense and helps the team win more games.
For some reason, I doubt these same people griping about using another 1st would have an issue if we’d used four 1st round picks to have the most dominant DL in the NFL.
If you’re smart, on draft day you combine need with talent available.
The Cowboys need a starting LG. If the best player available is an OL, that can be a dominant LG, then grab him.
“But then you’re spending x amount of money on one unit.... blah blah blah.”
By the time this pick’s rookie contract is up, T. Smith could be out of the league with his bad back.
Best...Player...Available!
Sure, I would like to trade back if it was an OL, but what if there are no trade partners? Give me Wynn (can play G or T) or Daniels (can play G or C) and don’t look back.
There is not one WR in this draft that will make the immediate impact of either of those guys on this offense.
Now, let’s have Vea fall to #19, grab him and then worry about our LG in round #2.

cds99

Reaction score
Dunk picks: Vea, Edmund's, James

Punching TV picks: Ridley, LVE

Be okay at 19 but wish we could've traded back to get: DJ Moore

DFWJC

Reaction score
I think receivers will not be picked until round 2. Not 1 goes in the first round. Why use a premium pick at 19 when you can get the same exact player value at 50? Miller at 50 is not only the better receiver,but the best value. He reminds me so much of Antonio Brown. In fact..I wouldn't even be mad if we took a TE at 50. As long as its a Jimmy Graham type like Gesicki or Goedert. My dark horse TE is Ian Thomas. Watch out for him in round 3 or 4. Could be a steal.With Hanna now retired,we have work to do.
Hey Rayman
I feel CERTAIN there will be at least one WR taken in the first round this year.
I'm now 7-0 in prop bets over the years here.
I'm up for going for 8 with a friendly prop bet if you are. name your bet:thumbup:

As for your comment on taking a WR after the first and getting better value...I totally agree.
And Miller would be a nice choice!
Miller at 50 >>>>Ridley or Moore at 19