Which QB's get long term extensions past year 8 with no deep playoff runs?

Blitzen

Reaction score
Just wondering if you guys can find a QB that gets a long term extension after never getting to at least a conference title game with the same squad after 8 seasons (post salary cap)-other than the Cowboys.

I looked into it some and came up with one name-Matthew Stafford. He was drafted number 1 overall and could not get the team anywhere in the playoffs. His style of play is very different and his passing abilities are very different from Dak but they held onto him for 12 seasons. He was 21 his first season and Dak was 23.

Detroit had been one of the worst franchises with regards to playoff success in the league in the modern era. They built their current squad through the trade with the Rams and with high draft picks following bad seasons. The rebuild started with a poor season, but the team drastically improved over the course of three seasons. They needed those high picks from the trade and bad seasons though-this turnaround is a direct result of that.

This is not to say Dallas can duplicate that turnaround. I wanted to see if anyone can come up with another name that would fit my initial question (from another team).

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Dak would be the first QB ever to win a Super Bowl with his current circumstances.

Thats why nobody can convince me that Trey Lance or a rookie doesn’t gives us a better chance moving forward.

It’s statistically (Dak fans love stats) astronomically higher probably that Trey Lance or a rookie QB plays at a high enough level moving forward to win the Cowboys a Super Bowl then it is for Dak under his circumstances this point in his career.

Adreme

Reaction score
Apparently you missed one because I name one off the top of my head: Lamar Jackson. He had 1 playoff victory at the time of his extension (entering year 6) and had never been past the divisional round.

Edit: oh we are going for year 8. That is a weird one because typically teams do not actually have such bad situations for 8 years. Although I would have to look up Philip Rivers as I do not think he ever did anything in the playoffs in his entire career.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
Here's the problem comparing Dak with Stafford - I don't think anyone thinks Dak could leave Dallas and suddenly turn into a super bowl winning QB like Stafford. Stafford always had the skills and talent, but had to play on some awful teams. Dak lacks skills and talent and has had the fortune to play on some pretty good teams and failed.

Put Dak on the KC roster the past 5 years and they don't have 3 super bowl championships.

Concerning your question, most teams these days aren't willing to allow a QB with no post season success to make it you year 8. Apparently this only happens in Dallas.

Adreme

Reaction score
I will also throw in Matt Ryan as he didnt make the Super Bowl until year 9. Rivers never made the Super Bowl. It is weird looking at pre rookie wage scale though as these QBs were massively paid year 1 and so it is an entirely different environment. If anything it was easier back then as every teams QBs were highly compensated because your high draft picks were getting highly paid regardless of whether they were good or not.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Here's the problem comparing Dak with Stafford - I don't think anyone thinks Dak could leave Dallas and suddenly turn into a super bowl winning QB like Stafford. Stafford always had the skills and talent, but had to play on some awful teams. Dak lacks skills and talent and has had the fortune to play on some pretty good teams and failed.

Put Dak on the KC roster the past 5 years and they don't have 3 super bowl championships.

Concerning your question, most teams these days aren't willing to allow a QB with no post season success to make it you year 8. Apparently this only happens in Dallas.
I'm not a huge fan of a Dak extension but even I would disagree here. In the right situation I think Dak very well could take a team to a super bowl. If SF wanted to trade for him this offseason would they be less likely to make another super bowl run? I think Dak absolutely can win a championship, but has to have a dominant run game around him.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I will also throw in Matt Ryan as he didnt make the Super Bowl until year 9. Rivers never made the Super Bowl. It is weird looking at pre rookie wage scale though as these QBs were massively paid year 1 and so it is an entirely different environment. If anything it was easier back then as every teams QBs were highly compensated because your high draft picks were getting highly paid regardless of whether they were good or not.
But Ryan also made it to two NFC Championship games within his first 8 years.

khiladi

Reaction score

Dak behind the OL of the Lions that Stafford had would be a disaster, because he’s slow at reading the field. It will also be pick 6 heaven, because he focuses on 1 receiver.

Blitzen

Reaction score
Philip Rivers made it to the AFCCG after year 4. Matt Ryan made it after year 5 to NFCCG.

khiladi

Reaction score
Dak will never win, because playoff teams don’t allow Dak to build a quick lead and then have to play from behind like bad teams. This forces Dak to start to play pocket QB and dissect a defense which he’s absolutely horrible at. His “second read” throws are basically break the pocket and make a play, which are plays outside the system.

Randall Cunningham was far more elite a talent than Dak and even he couldn’t win, even though that was a much more difficult era.

GINeric

Reaction score

Well this will put your theory to bed and kill the narrative...

Dak is 18-24 vs winning teams. That's not great.

Stafford is 11-73 vs winning teams. That's HORRIBLE

Dak is a 4th round talent that exceeded his draft grade and outplayed every quarterback in his draft class. Is he elite?? Absolutely not!!

Stafford is talented, but fell much below his 1st round draft grade.

From what I was taught by many on this board.... a good to great quarterback ELEVATES the talent around him, correct??? Well cut out all the BS excuses for Stafford with the Lions. He was a 1st round draft pick. He was expected to elevate his team.

The double standards that Dak is held by are hilarious compared to other quarterbacks who were graded higher than him.

When Stafford fails, it's because of his team's and organization's shortcomings.... all of a sudden it's a TEAM game.

But when Dak fails, " every loss is his fault" no matter how good or bad he played, even though the rest of our team gets trashed as well during the game by our opponents.

(So is it a team game or not? If it's a team game for Stafford and others, it's a team game for Dak too, correct?)

To conclude, the Superbowl ring that Stafford got with the Rams... that was the greatest gift he's ever received and here's why....

1. Stafford didn't win his first playoff game until his 11th or 12th season. The Rams were already a superbowl team when he got there.

2. The year the Rams won the Superbowl, they won inspite of Stafford because Stafford LED THE NFL IN INTERCEPTIONS that season. He was carried to the trophy.

3. The Rams would have won the Superbowl that year with 14, 15 other quarterbacks that season.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Just wondering if you guys can find a QB that gets a long term extension after never getting to at least a conference title game with the same squad after 8 seasons (post salary cap)-other than the Cowboys.

I looked into it some and came up with one name-Matthew Stafford. He was drafted number 1 overall and could not get the team anywhere in the playoffs. His style of play is very different and his passing abilities are very different from Dak but they held onto him for 12 seasons. He was 21 his first season and Dak was 23.

Detroit had been one of the worst franchises with regards to playoff success in the league in the modern era. They built their current squad through the trade with the Rams and with high draft picks following bad seasons. The rebuild started with a poor season, but the team drastically improved over the course of three seasons. They needed those high picks from the trade and bad seasons though-this turnaround is a direct result of that.

This is not to say Dallas can duplicate that turnaround. I wanted to see if anyone can come up with another name that would fit my initial question (from another team).
Just like a coach that was here for 10 years that never did anything but clap!!!!

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Dak would be the first QB ever to win a Super Bowl with his current circumstances.

Thats why nobody can convince me that Trey Lance or a rookie doesn’t gives us a better chance moving forward.

It’s statistically (Dak fans love stats) astronomically higher probably that Trey Lance or a rookie QB plays at a high enough level moving forward to win the Cowboys a Super Bowl then it is for Dak under his circumstances this point in his career.
how many young qb's have come in over the years and have had more success than dak in the playoffs

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Agreed!! You can't tell some people in here this though

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I'm not a huge fan of a Dak extension but even I would disagree here. In the right situation I think Dak very well could take a team to a super bowl. If SF wanted to trade for him this offseason would they be less likely to make another super bowl run? I think Dak absolutely can win a championship, but has to have a dominant run game around him.
Im not sure about that, someone would go up to dak and make him feel very uncomfortable

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I do NOT want to pay Dak 60M AAV. (at least in real money)
Thats nuts money to me.

But plenty of QBs get large extensions without making deep playoff runs.

If anything, the worst QB deals are like Jalen Hurts and Carson Wentz where teams went all-in and overperformed then you pay the QB based off that as if it is repeatable only to find out it very much isn't. .

As for Examples Peyton Manning was 3-6 in the playoffs entering year 9.
The same narrative around Dak now was around Peyton who was given top of heap extensions.
Year 9 he won the Super Bowl.

TheCritic

Reaction score
I agree that the odds of Dak Prescott becoming a SB winning QB are practically zero. I went through this hell with Danny White and Tony Romo. Great players as individuals but their timing on playing for the Dallas Cowboys was off. Staubach and Aikman enjoyed being on rosters full of talent. No matter how good they were as QBs, they had great running games, great offensive lines and great defenses to rely on. White and Romo inherited declining talent. And now the same thing will happen with Dak.

I'll give Dak credit. 2023 was by far his best season. But he got no help from the running game, mediocre pass protection and the defense for all of its turnovers and QB pressure got exposed late in the season.

I know it is popular around here to blame Dak specifically for the lack of playoff success. But when you go back and look at that Packers game and what really happened, I didn't see Dak being exposed as a bad QB. I saw the Cowboys being exposed as an overrated team that had too many holes.

I personally would not extend Dak, only because it would be a waste of money. The Cowboys need to tear it down and rebuild, IMO. But I have accepted that is not going to happen. I'll be here 365 days from now watching and reading hysterical comments about Jerry Jones and Dak Prescott.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

One factor was they have a hard nosed HC that demands accountability and have a strong culture.
Just one factor, but an important one.