Which QB's get long term extensions past year 8 with no deep playoff runs?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Dak would be the first QB ever to win a Super Bowl with his current circumstances.

Thats why nobody can convince me that Trey Lance or a rookie doesn’t gives us a better chance moving forward.

It’s statistically (Dak fans love stats) astronomically higher probably that Trey Lance or a rookie QB plays at a high enough level moving forward to win the Cowboys a Super Bowl then it is for Dak under his circumstances this point in his career.
trey lance will not give us a better chance.

a Rookie, would mean we need to draft one. at 24th spot, fat chance of getting a good one. we have to move up to top 10 and it better be a good QB draft year. and a rookie gives us a long term chance if we hit on one.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
trey lance will not give us a better chance.

a Rookie, would mean we need to draft one. at 24th spot, fat chance of getting a good one. we have to move up to top 10 and it better be a good QB draft year. and a rookie gives us a long term chance if we hit on one.
Explain this to me.

You’ve seen Trey Lance start 4 games and are comfortable labeling him a failure that’ll never be able to do anything for us.

You’ve watched Dak actually fail and never do anything for us for a decade and still are hesitant about moving on from him without some kind of impossible to predict assurance the next guy is going to be greatness.

Make it make sense.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
Explain this to me.

You’ve seen Trey Lance start 4 games and are comfortable labeling him a failure that’ll never be able to do anything for us.

You’ve watched Dak actually fail and never do anything for us for a decade and still are hesitant about moving on from him without some kind of impossible to predict assurance the next guy is going to be greatness.

Make it make sense.
"Who could we get to lose games against good teams? Tell me that and I might be all in" "I'm not sold on him but I will defend him until he's kicked to the curb."

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Explain this to me.

Make it make sense.
I didn't say lets not move on from Dak, seems like you had a ready comeback in your back pocket and wanted to use it. I just Said Lance is not the answer. there is zero evidence to say he is the answer.

he is the 3rd pick of the draft. and according to you, Dak is what he is as the 4th round pick and not talented. then it means Lance is a highly talented QB that got drafted 3rd over all. or at least that's what SF thought....he has played in 8 games, able to start 4. the stats just plain suck. he has shown nothing. the team that drafted him, who was in NFCCG last 3 years with the same roster and just went to the superbowl and overtime against Mahomes the best QB in the league just dumped him for a 4th round pick. they paid a ransom to move up to get him. so they considered it sunk cost and moved on. he was 3rd stringer on his own team, couldn't beat another bust for back up spot. so evidence says, he is a bust and not the answer.

you want a QB who can lead to a championship, which you have argued vehemently. but Lance is not it. lets move on from Dak to something better, not worse.

I also said lets go the rookie route, with my thoughts that we need to be in top 10 pick, based on one of your posts and where the top QBs in your mind were drafted.

but here you are talking about Dak again. making it all about Dak.

now, if we want to go with Lance, miss playoffs, end up with a top 15 pick, then there is a good idea I can go for.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Most recently in the NFC?
1. Brock Purdy
2. Jordan Love
3. CJ Stroud

Hurts is sort of debatable has seen success and has gone to a SB game but too hot and cold.

In the AFC
1. Mahomes
2. Burrow
3. Lamar
That's cool, and i'm sure theirs several more besides these ones mentioned

Chasing6

Reaction score
Just wondering if you guys can find a QB that gets a long term extension after never getting to at least a conference title game with the same squad after 8 seasons (post salary cap)-other than the Cowboys.

I looked into it some and came up with one name-Matthew Stafford. He was drafted number 1 overall and could not get the team anywhere in the playoffs. His style of play is very different and his passing abilities are very different from Dak but they held onto him for 12 seasons. He was 21 his first season and Dak was 23.

Detroit had been one of the worst franchises with regards to playoff success in the league in the modern era. They built their current squad through the trade with the Rams and with high draft picks following bad seasons. The rebuild started with a poor season, but the team drastically improved over the course of three seasons. They needed those high picks from the trade and bad seasons though-this turnaround is a direct result of that.

This is not to say Dallas can duplicate that turnaround. I wanted to see if anyone can come up with another name that would fit my initial question (from another team).
Dak

Big_D

Reaction score
Jerry's going to keep Dak until he's 45. He loves hanging on to players way past their prime. Sadly this won't even be his last extension. That's how delusional this front office is. He wasn't worth the money the first time around. It's even more apparent now that the cap hit is killing this team, but Jerry will triple down on that.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Exactly. He will get the extension of course-we all know that. The only other ones I can come up with are Stafford and Tony Romo-that’s it.
I think smart teams trade them away for picks and were smart enough to have a replacement plan.

Swagger

Reaction score
I'm not a huge fan of a Dak extension but even I would disagree here. In the right situation I think Dak very well could take a team to a super bowl. If SF wanted to trade for him this offseason would they be less likely to make another super bowl run? I think Dak absolutely can win a championship, but has to have a dominant run game around him.
Point being you couldn't put Prescott on the 49ers' roster last season with his salary compared with Purdy. That's the whole point. Plus I think Prescott plays a very similar game to Purdy in the Superbowl just gone so for me Prescott would play even worse anywhere else making the money he is at Dallas.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
After 8 years, teams generally have an idea of how great their QB can be. After 8 years of Dak, we are still expecting a running game, a great OL, a great defense, etc. to justify keeping him :rolleyes:

There are many other teams with flawed rosters too but at least within an 8-year window, they would know if their QB is good enough to get them a championship. The 2021 Bengals were not exactly the definition of a loaded team but Burrow still got them within a few minutes of winning a championship. Ultimately they lost the game but everyone knows Burrow is a QB that is worthy of keeping and getting back to the SB.

That's why I find it funny that people are criticizing Lamar Jackson in an effort to prop Dak up. Yes, Lamar has been underwhelming in the playoffs but even his individual and team resume is better than Dak's. There is a long line starting to form of QBs who have to get over the hump and those who will have their heart's broken by Mahomes. Dak hasn't even been good enough to get in that line!

Chasing6

Reaction score
Can you imagine. Draft a QB have them for 4 years and draft another one. Get them ready for a $60M contract and trade them. Get several picks and save $60M for free agency. Do this every 4 or 5 years.

If you have a legit team across the board you can plug in a young QB and have success. Purdy is a perfect example.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I'm not a huge fan of a Dak extension but even I would disagree here. In the right situation I think Dak very well could take a team to a super bowl. If SF wanted to trade for him this offseason would they be less likely to make another super bowl run? I think Dak absolutely can win a championship, but has to have a dominant run game around him.
We usually agree but I don't think he could win a championship if you gave him a healthy "Dream" team and spotted him a lead in each playoff game. At the first sign of tough sledding, his lack of skill & mental fortitude will begin the downfall.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
The sad reality is we are going to have to wait out the Prescott era just like we had to wait out the Garrett era. Jerry is too invested in "being right" about them to see that they will always come up short.
Actually we don't. We are free to leave. I'm out until they show me something deserving of my respect. If they re-sign "their" guy, I'm fully into mocking them & laughing as they fail.

Chasing6

Reaction score
We usually agree but I don't think he could win a championship if you gave him a healthy "Dream" team and spotted him a lead in each playoff game. At the first sign of tough sledding, his lack of skill & mental fortitude will begin the downfall.
Those are tough decisions that need to be figure out by a GM. GM Jeruh believes otherwise or he would not have backed himself into a corner on the last contract. Or was he backed into a corner again back then.(was he backed into a corner with Zeke). Are we seeing a pattern yet? Maybe he is having second thoughts, and that is why he gambled with Trance(far too little and way to late)

Either way GM Jeruh did not put the team in a good position to move on from Dak. We can continue to blame Dak for who he is or who he is not, but GM Jeruh has put the team in this situation for good or bad.

I believe Dak is not good enough to win with the current team around him and Mahomes and Allen are not coming to Dallas anytime soon. So the job of a good GM, is to build a team around their QB to give them the best chance to win. GM Jeruh has not done that.

Dak needs a running game. Micah is crying to Jerry about needing a DT and a LB.

Micah is starting to figure out what it feels like on a significantly smaller scale to be Dak. Micah does not like being called out for not showing up in big games. He realizes he can be neutralized by good teams, if he does not have enough talent around him.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
After 8 years, teams generally have an idea of how great their QB can be. After 8 years of Dak, we are still expecting a running game, a great OL, a great defense, etc. to justify keeping him :rolleyes:
But....but....if we let Dak go then a rookie will need all those things...LOL