Which QB's get long term extensions past year 8 with no deep playoff runs?

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I agree that the odds of Dak Prescott becoming a SB winning QB are practically zero. I went through this hell with Danny White and Tony Romo. Great players as individuals but their timing on playing for the Dallas Cowboys was off. Staubach and Aikman enjoyed being on rosters full of talent. No matter how good they were as QBs, they had great running games, great offensive lines and great defenses to rely on. White and Romo inherited declining talent. And now the same thing will happen with Dak.

I'll give Dak credit. 2023 was by far his best season. But he got no help from the running game, mediocre pass protection and the defense for all of its turnovers and QB pressure got exposed late in the season.

I know it is popular around here to blame Dak specifically for the lack of playoff success. But when you go back and look at that Packers game and what really happened, I didn't see Dak being exposed as a bad QB. I saw the Cowboys being exposed as an overrated team that had too many holes.

I personally would not extend Dak, only because it would be a waste of money. The Cowboys need to tear it down and rebuild, IMO. But I have accepted that is not going to happen. I'll be here 365 days from now watching and reading hysterical comments about Jerry Jones and Dak Prescott.
Very well stated!!!

Blitzen

Reaction score
I do NOT want to pay Dak 60M AAV. (at least in real money)
Thats nuts money to me.

But plenty of QBs get large extensions without making deep playoff runs.

If anything, the worst QB deals are like Jalen Hurts and Carson Wentz where teams went all-in and overperformed then you pay the QB based off that as if it is repeatable only to find out it very much isn't. .

As for Examples Peyton Manning was 3-6 in the playoffs entering year 9.
The same narrative around Dak now was around Peyton who was given top of heap extensions.
Year 9 he won the Super Bowl.
Yeah, but Peyton made the AFCCG after year 6. He also took over one of the worst franchises when drafted and turned them into a perennial contender. And we’re also talking about one of the most gifted QB’s to ever lace them up. Peyton is about alike to Dak as a giraffe compares to the refractive index of ethanol.

The Eagles moved on from the Wentz contract quickly (after a massive cap hit too), and did not look back. The same might happen with Hurts. They have also been wildly more successful in the postseason than the Cowboys in the past 28 years-so that buys there GM some leeway.

And I was remarking about after year 8 with no deep playoff success (getting a huge extension). I also said other teams not named the Cowboys. If you can find many more names that fit my parameters in the initial post-go for it. I could only come up with Stafford.

Blitzen

Reaction score
Was this question a fishing exercise to get the name Tony Romo??
No I wanted to see how many other teams would make the list with the Cowboys in this exercise. The native homers stay far away from the question. I think it upsets them so they try to ignore it.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
Can you name the number of QB's that were canned that are top 5 in nearly every QB stat year after year and dont turn ball over very much?

See how stupid this game is? Just cherry pick, use team stats to trash an individual and slide the goal posts. Rinse and repeat. Low fruit grab.

Blitzen

Reaction score
I agree that the odds of Dak Prescott becoming a SB winning QB are practically zero. I went through this hell with Danny White and Tony Romo. Great players as individuals but their timing on playing for the Dallas Cowboys was off. Staubach and Aikman enjoyed being on rosters full of talent. No matter how good they were as QBs, they had great running games, great offensive lines and great defenses to rely on. White and Romo inherited declining talent. And now the same thing will happen with Dak.

I'll give Dak credit. 2023 was by far his best season. But he got no help from the running game, mediocre pass protection and the defense for all of its turnovers and QB pressure got exposed late in the season.

I know it is popular around here to blame Dak specifically for the lack of playoff success. But when you go back and look at that Packers game and what really happened, I didn't see Dak being exposed as a bad QB. I saw the Cowboys being exposed as an overrated team that had too many holes.

I personally would not extend Dak, only because it would be a waste of money. The Cowboys need to tear it down and rebuild, IMO. But I have accepted that is not going to happen. I'll be here 365 days from now watching and reading hysterical comments about Jerry Jones and Dak Prescott.
I think he got exposed in the first half (which is a trend for him in most playoff games). The protection was very sound in the GB game first half. He made two critical errors and cost his team again in the playoffs. The defense was atrocious and they got behind so quickly they could not manage a balanced attack-though the run game was decidedly mediocre for the season (not tragic-just not very good).

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
Dak would be the first QB ever to win a Super Bowl with his current circumstances.

Thats why nobody can convince me that Trey Lance or a rookie doesn’t gives us a better chance moving forward.

It’s statistically (Dak fans love stats) astronomically higher probably that Trey Lance or a rookie QB plays at a high enough level moving forward to win the Cowboys a Super Bowl then it is for Dak under his circumstances this point in his career.
"but that would be scary. I wouldn't be able to come on here and brag about his worthless stats. I even have his jersey." *wipes tears from face.*

Blitzen

Reaction score
Can you name the number of QB's that were canned that are top 5 in nearly every QB stat year after year and dont turn ball over very much?

See how stupid this game is? Just cherry pick, use team stats to trash an individual and slide the goal posts. Rinse and repeat. Low fruit grab.
Are you having difficulty answering my initial post? You answer my question and I will return the favor.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score

Yeah I can think of one in each of the last two offseasons....Both teams that moved on still made the playoffs the following year.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
how many young qb's have come in over the years and have had more success than dak in the playoffs
Most recently in the NFC?
1. Brock Purdy
2. Jordan Love
3. CJ Stroud

Hurts is sort of debatable has seen success and has gone to a SB game but too hot and cold.

In the AFC
1. Mahomes
2. Burrow
3. Lamar

FanofJerry

Reaction score
Are you having difficulty answering my initial post? You answer my question and I will return the favor.
No GM in the league is letting Dak walk unless he is completely unreasonable with an extension. I assume the extension number was agreed upon last contract.

Unless you have inside information that the guy single handedly is the reason for the Playoff issues...no GM with anything of value to lose is letting Dak walk. They would rather keep the decent bus driver, rely on Will McClay's shopping and make coaching and player acquisitions.

Instead of admitting that this is fake and that you wouldnt trailblaze if you have a Million+ Dollar a year job on the line...youre lowering yourself to grabbing easy fruit.

I can posts this same reasonable post in a thread...it will be avoided and instead a new thread will emerge that leads to the same topic. Its pathetic.

New threads new usernames. This board wants accountability of the players but wants no accountability itself. Makes sense. Good way to exist.

Answer my questions that got avoided yesterday about the penalty you are willing to take on if your trailblazing backfires. Why did that post get no responses? Convenience?

Laugh at me for swinging and softballs. It comes down to no accountability from the other side...yet it screams for accountability from the players lol.

No low it wont scrape

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's not just playoffs
It's losing any difficult game.
Yep, he can't hang and does the Panama fall against Real Teams like the Bills as a good example.
Give him DOG teams, Give him the lead, Give him at least 2 Def T/O and Dak is MVP!!!!
Guess Deer hunting season is over....................

FanofJerry

Reaction score
Yep, he can't hang and does the Panama fall against Real Teams like the Bills as a good example.
Give him DOG teams, Give him the lead, Give him at least 2 Def T/O and Dak is MVP!!!!
Guess Deer hunting season is over....................
What about the team stepping up.

Why only Dak mentioned?

Shock value attempt?

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Name them and name their turnover numbers
Aaron Rodgers - 1.4% career INT%, 92 career fumbles in 231 games

Russell Wilson - 1.9% career INT%, 103 fumbles in 188 games

To compare Dak has a 1.9% career INT% with 56 fumbles in 114 games

Adreme

Reaction score
Philip Rivers made it to the AFCCG after year 4. Matt Ryan made it after year 5 to NFCCG.
We created an arbitrary metric open to interpretation. I took it as in order to be a deep run you have to have won more than 1 game in the playoffs. Getting a bye and winning one game does not scream deep run to me.