Which scenario seems likely?

Virginia-Dave

Reaction score
Scenario 2 is most likely, but looking at the schedule, I can see Scenario 1 as a possibility. Other than the saints, what team on our remaining schedule scares you? The schedule suddenly doesn't look so tough, with the skins and saints being the only remaining opponent that is currently above .500. If the Cowboys offense can get anything going consistently, and the defense continues to play well, 7-2 is possible. Not saying it's going to happen, but it is possible.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Acquiring Cooper only addressed one problem, although it was a big problem. What about the OL, TE and is this QB the guy? Not to mention the offensive and head coaching. I am in favor of the trade because they have to start somewhere.

I'll go with 3 because of the schedule coming up and I don't think adding any #1WR would really make that much difference. The team is currently ranked 29th on offense, the only good thing about that is they have #30 coming up. After that, it gets tougher.

They are averaging 20 points a game and need to get north of 28 after the Titans, they might win that game by just getting to 10. can the addition of a #!WR add 8-10 points a game?

They rank 2nd in scoring D with 17.6 but is that because they're that good or have faced a bunch of offenses as inept as their own? History says you keep teams to 17 and you have a winning record. I think that begins to go up after TEN. This is a good D, not a great D.

I am really no longer about this season because I think that is lost. My concern is more with the future with this QB. Is he the guy? Did he peak as a rookie? Are they going all in and giving him that QB1 NFL salary or letting him play out his contract and take their chances? I am already mentally in 2019.
Great post. Great questions.

Those great questions lead to many more. If Dak isn’t the answer, what will this team do? If scenario 2 or 3 happens, is Jerry prepared to make a change? What happens if offense improves with Cooper but he chooses to play elsewhere in 2020, where he feels like he has a better chance for a ring? Etc, etc.

Seems to me this team is at another crossroads and the 76 year old geezer in charge is hearing the clock tick on his latest hope for a ring. How desperate is Jerry? How coherent is he? Lol.

Kaiser

Reaction score
9-7 with Cooper making a huge difference, but they win the Division with that. That wasn't listed but I'll call it Option 2(b).

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I see much of the same going forward. Win one, lose one, etc etc. This team was not an Amari Cooper away from suddenly turning things around. There are far bigger issues in play........

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Great post. Great questions.

Those great questions lead to many more. If Dak isn’t the answer, what will this team do? If scenario 2 or 3 happens, is Jerry prepared to make a change? What happens if offense improves with Cooper but he chooses to play elsewhere in 2020, where he feels like he has a better chance for a ring? Etc, etc.

Seems to me this team is at another crossroads and the 76 year old geezer in charge is hearing the clock tick on his latest hope for a ring. How desperate is Jerry? How coherent is he? Lol.
If Dak isn't the answer, they get a FA QB and/or spend the 2nd on one to bring in to compete.

The word on the best possible prospect in this draft, Herbert, is that he's staying at OR so that's good, if Dak isn't the guy. Another question is are they really in a position to truly evaluate Dak as the QB1 or is there too muck loss of face attached to moving on? If they see Cooper open and not getting the ball as Beasley and Hurns have said they are, what then? Do they ignore the primary reason they tried to take 2 other QBs ahead of him and the #1 negative about him, accuracy under pressure?

Bullet, when I see one example, just one, of any college QB coming out with accuracy issues and fixing that in the faster NFL, I'll shut up about it. I believe the Cowboys FO needs to apply the Denny Green philosophy if that happens, "he is who we thought he was".

Shame Booger's grandson is only a freshman at AR, he could come out early and complete the nepotism chain.

Hey pard, not intending to postjack your really good thread into a QB one but in today's NFL, it all starts with that guy. I hope I am wrong but this is a patient needing a heart transplant getting a boob job.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I see much of the same going forward. Win one, lose one, etc etc. This team was not an Amari Cooper away from suddenly turning things around. There are far bigger issues in play........
And unfortunately for us, some of that will not get changed. Need to drain the pool but they'll just add chlorine.

perrykemp

Reaction score
2 most likely but this team is 6 points away from being 5-2 so 1 is not out of the realm of possibility

Cowboys are only 9 points away from being 1-6.

Frankly most NFL teams are like that. The margin for loss/victory in small in the NFL.

Are you a cup half full OR cup half empty type of person?

Batman1980

Reaction score
Scenario 2 is what is going to happen. Cooper opens up the entire offense but doesn't fix the issues at QB, OT, LG or TE. Not to mention OC.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If Dak isn't the answer, they get a FA QB and/or spend the 2nd on one to bring in to compete.

The word on the best possible prospect in this draft, Herbert, is that he's staying at OR so that's good, if Dak isn't the guy. Another question is are they really in a position to truly evaluate Dak as the QB1 or is there too muck loss of face attached to moving on? If they see Cooper open and not getting the ball as Beasley and Hurns have said they are, what then? Do they ignore the primary reason they tried to take 2 other QBs ahead of him and the #1 negative about him, accuracy under pressure?

Bullet, when I see one example, just one, of any college QB coming out with accuracy issues and fixing that in the faster NFL, I'll shut up about it. I believe the Cowboys FO needs to apply the Denny Green philosophy if that happens, "he is who we thought he was".

Shame Booger's grandson is only a freshman at AR, he could come out early and complete the nepotism chain.

Hey pard, not intending to postjack your really good thread into a QB one but in today's NFL, it all starts with that guy. I hope I am wrong but this is a patient needing a heart transplant getting a boob job.
Nice analogy. Most guys like “boob jobs” over heart transplants. And I guess it’s not out the question to see John Stephen Jones as this team’s starting QB in 2021. I started to laugh and then I realized who owns and runs this thing.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nice analogy. Most guys like “boob jobs” over heart transplants. And I guess it’s not out the question to see John Stephen Jones as this team’s starting QB in 2021. I started to laugh and then I realized who owns and runs this thing.
The Hogs have huge QB problems and he can't get on the field there.

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
I put a 35% probability on Scenario 1 and a 65% probability on Scenario 2. I don’t see a Garrett team unravelling. Whatever his weaknesses as a coach he manages to get buy-in from his players.

I think Cooper has a good chance of really helping. His ability to get early separation should help Dak with his issues releasing the ball. His deep speed should also draw coverage away from Beasley and pull safeties out of the box. A lot still depends on the O-line getting itself sorted out, which is why I only put a 35% probability on Scenario 1.

mrmojo

Reaction score
I put a 35% probability on Scenario 1 and a 65% probability on Scenario 2. I don’t see a Garrett team unravelling. Whatever his weaknesses as a coach he manages to get buy-in from his players.

I think Cooper has a good chance of really helping. His ability to get early separation should help Dak with his issues releasing the ball. His deep speed should also draw coverage away from Beasley and pull safeties out of the box. A lot still depends on the O-line getting itself sorted out, which is why I only put a 35% probability on Scenario 1.
Thet unraveled in 2015 didn't they?

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
Thet unraveled in 2015 didn't they?

Yeah, I was thinking scenario 3 was a ‘lose the team’ scenario. I suppose injury (really, the issue in 2015) or something else could cause the team to go into a slump.

So my revised probabilities:

30% Scenario 1
60% Scenario 2
10% Scenario 3

RS12

Reaction score
Do they have a QB that can get the ball to Cooper on a regular basis on anything other than a short route? Doesnt look like it. Somewhere between scenario 2 and 3. If the field doesnt get stretched and the spacing on the field doesnt improve, there will be much rueing on April. I think the FO got sucked in by the JVille game just like the KC game last year.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
So if scenario 2 is most likely, as I think it is, what good does this trade do for us? If we don’t make the playoffs and we don’t have a #1 pick next year, and we’re stuck with Jason Garrett again, is this franchise going forward? Or backward?[/QUOTE

Whether or not we make the playoff this year doesn't mean it was a bad trade or he's a bad player. Soooo many other factors can and likely will be part of the reason we miss. More times than not, teams that avoid major injuries are one making the playoffs.

Not sure it's fair to say our playoff comes down one player......Coop can play lights out and we still miss. Then what....

Falco78

Reaction score
So if scenario 2 is most likely, as I think it is, what good does this trade do for us? If we don’t make the playoffs and we don’t have a #1 pick next year, and we’re stuck with Jason Garrett again, is this franchise going forward? Or backward?
Not forward or backward the same 8-8 garbage we have all vomited over during the clappers reign

jsb357

Reaction score
I'm gonna take a wild guess and say that Dallas will finish the season mediocre.

cowboyec

Reaction score
it feels like a re-set to the season.
excited to watch Cooper and Gallup.
REALLY like our young defense.
obviously...#4 has to play better....Im pullin for him.
it just "feels" like a re-set to the season...the only way in the dance is to win the division.
option 1.
we win the East.
if Frederick returns......maybe we win something more.