Who’s decision was it to make Pollard the primary back?

kskboys

Reaction score
My bad.. it was Russell Baze who claimed the title of winningest jockey of all time in 2006. But apparently some Brazilian jockey whom I never heard of passed Baze in 2018. I should have remembered Baze because he was a native of the Bay Area and rode most of his winners out there while I was living there. The radio talking heads used to make a huge deal about him. The thing I remember about him is that he would often ride a horse in every race on the schedule on a given day. And he would win like 3/4 of them. Dude was amazing in his ability to guide a horse to victory. Did it over 12,000 times in his career. Just amazing..
Did you hear about Frank Hayes, the jockey who won a race while dead? True story. In June of 1923, Hayes suffered a fatal heart attack in the latter stages of the race. His body remained in the saddle, though, and his horse crossed the finish line in 1st. Horse was named Sweet Kiss.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
I don't think Pollard is playing himself into a new contract at this point. But I also don't think it was a bad decision to franchise him for the year knowing how strong of a contributor he was while questioning if there was long term value there. Kind of similiar to Schultz the year prior.

kskboys

Reaction score
I don't think Pollard is playing himself into a new contract at this point. But I also don't think it was a bad decision to franchise him for the year knowing how strong of a contributor he was while questioning if there was long term value there. Kind of similiar to Schultz the year prior.
Yup. The franchise tag is specifically for players such as he and Schultz.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Yup. And that does not disprove what I said. They were focused on the frequency of runs, not the quality of runs.
You should read it again. It is even talked about in the part I quoted. Click to expand and read the second paragraph. Their data set is in the link.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I think the leg break was a red flag.

Honestly, they should have let him walk.

He has a 3.9 ypa

Rico is 3.8 ypa

Scrubs. All of them.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Did you hear about Frank Hayes, the jockey who won a race while dead? True story. In June of 1923, Hayes suffered a fatal heart attack in the latter stages of the race. His body remained in the saddle, though, and his horse crossed the finish line in 1st. Horse was named Sweet Kiss.
I think I do recall hearing that story at least once. My wife and I have visited the ponies a few times here since we moved to DFW. They have specials where you get get a 4 seat box for 20 bucks. That is marvelous entertainment for a super low price. Of course they make it up when you pay $10 for a hot dog, $5 for a drink and $15 for some nachos.. but hey.. they gotta stay in business somehow!

kskboys

Reaction score
I think I do recall hearing that story at least once. My wife and I have visited the ponies a few times here since we moved to DFW. They have specials where you get get a 4 seat box for 20 bucks. That is marvelous entertainment for a super low price. Of course they make it up when you pay $10 for a hot dog, $5 for a drink and $15 for some nachos.. but hey.. they gotta stay in business somehow!
We have simulcast racing here in the small town of Fredericksburg where I live. I go there every Thursday to meet the guys and hang out and throw a few bucks at the ponies. Every now and then I win, so I figure I'm not paying all that much for entertainment. Had a couple of $1,300 days this year.

FVSTONE

Reaction score
Whomever it was should be fired. PLEASE TRADE FOR A REAL #1 RB!
This site was dogging ZEK on a daily basis saying how Pollard should be the featured back and that Zek should be cut or traded because Pollard was going to destroy the league with his ability.................LOL! Pollard has been anything but a featured back since taking Zek's spot. He's struggled to get the big yardage runs and has looked pretty shaky in the passing game. It appears that everyone got this one wrong..................the grass isn't always greener on the other side...........

DuncanIso

Reaction score
This site was dogging ZEK on a daily basis saying how Pollard should be the featured back and that Zek should be cut or traded because Pollard was going to destroy the league with his ability.................LOL! Pollard has been anything but a featured back since taking Zek's spot. He's struggled to get the big yardage runs and has looked pretty shaky in the passing game. It appears that everyone got this one wrong..................the grass isn't always greener on the other side...........
Truth!

The freakish leg injury was a red flag. They should have let Tony walk.

FVSTONE

Reaction score

Truth!

The freakish leg injury was a red flag. They should have let Tony walk.
After what I've witnessed this year, I have to agree with you. It appears that Pollard isn't the same back that he was in prior years and resigning him to a large dollar amount has to be a no go at this time.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Whomever it was should be fired. PLEASE TRADE FOR A REAL #1 RB!
The decision was mine. Because no one wants to see any more videos from you of a half-shirted Zeke rocking on the sideline jogging between cones before training camp, and then do jack squat when the season begins.

Toro9

Reaction score
This thread won't die, huh?

Ultimately it was God's decision to make Zeke less effective. /

HungryLion

Reaction score
I think the leg break was a red flag.

Honestly, they should have let him walk.

He has a 3.9 ypa

Rico is 3.8 ypa

Scrubs. All of them.
I was 100% for moving on from Zeke. That being said. I do think it was unwise to not draft a RB higher in the draft. This draft was full of talented backs and I was expecting them to take one of them.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
I was 100% for moving on from Zeke. That being said. I do think it was unwise to not draft a RB higher in the draft. This draft was full of talented backs and I was expecting them to take one of them.
Which RBs in round 3-7 of this draft are better than Pollard and Dowdle? It is a waste in my opinion to take a RB in round 1 and 2. Just as it is a waste to pay RBs big money.

I can find at least a hundred RBs who can hit a hole.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Which RBs in round 3-7 of this draft are better than Pollard and Dowdle? It is a waste in my opinion to take a RB in round 1 and 2. Just as it is a waste to pay RBs big money.

I would have liked Achane. I know he is hurt right now. But man talk about an electric playmaker.

kskboys

Reaction score

Chris Rodriguez.
Eric Gray
Devon Achane
Zach Evans
Tank Bigsby
Lew Nicholls
Roschon Johnson

Dowdle is a JAG, easily replaced.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
Here are some of the top running backs coming out of college in 2024:
TreVeyon Henderson: 5'10", 215 lbs, 3rd year, Ohio State
Raheim Sanders: Arkansas
Donovan Edwards: Michigan
Will Shipley: Clemson, 5'11", 205 lbs, 3rd year
Trey Benson: Florida State, 6'1", 215 lbs, 4th year
Braelon Allen: Wisconsin, 6'2", 235 lbs, 3rd year
Blake Corum: Michigan
Jarquez Hunter: Auburn
Other top running backs include:
Bucky Irving, Riley, Taylor Tatum, Jerrick Gibson, Kameron Davis, Jason Brown, James Peoples, Kevin Riley, Dwight Phillips Jr, Nate Frazier.

uvaballa

Reaction score
I think it's more of an Oline issues. They haven't been great in running blocking this year. Also, if Zeke played better he would have not been released. So i'd blame those two things.