Who’s decision was it to make Pollard the primary back?

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
I only read the 1st four words of the title of this thread, and I know the correct answer:

Jerruh.

If the rest of it was "draft Mazi" or "hire MM" or "trade a 4th for Trey Lance" or "charge $14 for a MillerLite" ....no matter what the end of that statement was.....my answer is correct

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I’m more disappointed in Brian schottenheimer. The guys value really comes in the ability to have a creative run game. Maybe we have that the issue is MM refuses to call anything other than a dive play but I’m not sure Pollard is being set up for success at all in this offense.
In fairness the RB coach was the run game coordinator and he was out for the season until last week.

LovinItAll

Reaction score
Whomever it was should be fired. PLEASE TRADE FOR A REAL #1 RB!
Virtually every poster here was screaming for Pollard to be RB1 last year after a few flashy plays. Life’s different when you’re the man, though. He isn’t and will never be a legit RB1 that can run a team to a deep playoff run.

kskboys

Reaction score
Virtually every poster here was screaming for Pollard to be RB1 last year after a few flashy plays. Life’s different when you’re the man, though. He isn’t and will never be a legit RB1 that can run a team to a deep playoff run.
No, not even close. It was split almost 50-50. Maybe it was more like 60-40 for, not sure, but it was far from "virtually every poster here".

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I don’t have any angst other than I wish they were better. I have no control over the situation.
Exactly you are antsy about the RB position and are looking for someone to blame. It's uncertain so I get the angst.

What I do not get are people that always look for an individual to blame for their unease. Scapegoating is what it is.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Myself, I just think we could use a back with size to partner with Pollard. I think the issue is way overblown because running efficiency doesn't matter much. There is a ton of evidence that playaction still works if your running game is not efficient.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Myself, I just think we could use a back with size to partner with Pollard. I think the issue is way overblown because running efficiency doesn't matter much. There is a ton of evidence that playaction still works if your running game is not efficient.
Not in the red zone it doesn't. At least not for the Cowboys.

kskboys

Reaction score
Not really. The bigger threat your running game presents, the better playaction works.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Actually I believe Steve Cauthen passed him for most career wins in the early 2000s.
My bad.. it was Russell Baze who claimed the title of winningest jockey of all time in 2006. But apparently some Brazilian jockey whom I never heard of passed Baze in 2018. I should have remembered Baze because he was a native of the Bay Area and rode most of his winners out there while I was living there. The radio talking heads used to make a huge deal about him. The thing I remember about him is that he would often ride a horse in every race on the schedule on a given day. And he would win like 3/4 of them. Dude was amazing in his ability to guide a horse to victory. Did it over 12,000 times in his career. Just amazing..

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Not really. The bigger threat your running game presents, the better playaction works.
Nope

Play-action is not correlated to run frequency or effectiveness​

Further, play-action effectiveness isn’t reliant on whether a team is good at running the ball or even if a team runs the ball at all. A limiting belief from coaches is that they have to establish to the run to be able to have effective play-action. Data does not support that. For years, play-action success rate has been uncorrelated to rush attempts and rushing success rate. Running play-action is just as effective when you’ve run the ball 30% of the time as it is when you run it 50% of the time.

What’s more, it doesn’t matter if you’re breaking off big chunks on those runs, either. That’s true in season-long data sets and within individual games as well. Regardless of how often a team has rushed in subsequent plays or how well they rushed in subsequent plays, the yards per attempt on play-action remain stable and higher than normal dropback passing.

https://weeklyspiral.com/2021/10/29/play-action-passing-is-the-best-play-in-football/