Who are the playmakers that will emerge?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
If Kellen Moore knew how to utilize Pollard's receiving skills, he could be one of the more dynamic situational nickel RB in NFL.
but while he excels at designing schemes and ultilizing the WRs and TEs, Moore is underwhelming when it comes to scheming and designing the RBs in both run and pass game, imo,

But Pollard remains severely under-used and kept as simplistic as they come.
We could've been scheme- designing so many mismatches vs LB coverage and in open field with his great speed and run skills. :mad:

I dont think Moore is the problem in the run game. Zeke is the problem. Zeke cant do more than run right up the middle. Not great at bouncing it outside or making moves. In the passing game he has trouble making people miss so he rarely does much there either. Although I must admit that Pollard doesnt have some great role there either.

ESisback

Reaction score
If Kellen Moore knew how to utilize Pollard's receiving skills, he could be one of the more dynamic situational nickel RB in NFL.
but while he excels at designing schemes and ultilizing the WRs and TEs, Moore is underwhelming when it comes to scheming and designing the RBs in both run and pass game, imo,

But Pollard remains severely under-used and kept as simplistic as they come.
We could've been scheme- designing so many mismatches vs LB coverage and in open field with his great speed and run skills. :mad:

Perhaps we WILL see more of that in 2021...

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
DLaw, Jaylon, Dak, Zeke, and Cooper are the guys paid to be the playmakers. If we're looking elsewhere then the Cowboys paid the wrong players.

Paying good players like great players won't make them great players. They are who they are - Dak's contract won't suddenly make him Tom Brady.
De Java mandible de hut -hut,,, hike!?!?!?didn't you post this piece of footballish brilliance in an earlier post or of an similarly devine invocation of a facesmile thereof's thread somewhere's of my pasts previous perusal?
( Guaranteed, to you, I have, tho ,it having been found in my favor so nice, by all means, POST THIS MOFO'R TWICE,,,:thumbup:)

:starspin::clap::starspin:

:bow::oldcouple::bow:

o_O:hammer:o_O

Scotman

Reaction score
I think there's more talent on this defense than people think. I really do feel like we suffered at the hands of a poor coaching hire coupled with zero off season. I personally think Quinn will be a monster big step up from Nolan. Also, we get a bunch of physically talented draft picks and a complete off season.

I think this defense might surprise some people this year. Not two years from now...this year.

quickccc

Reaction score
I dont think Moore is the problem in the run game. Zeke is the problem. Zeke cant do more than run right up the middle. Not great at bouncing it outside or making moves. In the passing game he has trouble making people miss so he rarely does much there either. Although I must admit that Pollard doesnt have some great role there either.

As a coach, you have to know how to use your skill position players, and know what works best for them- and how their strengths can best for you as a coach. – and from what we’ve seen from Zeke of 2016- 2017 (and strongly assuming we can get him back to that form) he should be able to be a factor in the pass game. ..if he is schemed right.

Elliott doesn’t have to be Sproles like elusive & make miss ‘em in pass game, yes he isn’t over elusive, he’s a one cut runner, he’s not one to stop and re-starting again with choppy miss moves in open field,
I think Zeke’s receiving skills work best with misdirection plays,. the more creative the misdirection plays, the better.

There are ways to implement ZKE in the pass game, just as Linehan did early on with the quick RB screen, that saw several huge splash plays and homerun TD hitters, Kellen won’t work, develop
or be patient with the quick screens or misdirection swing flairs, and I don’t understand McCarthy’s non-involvement in helping Kellen in this area.

But of course the huge key is returning ZKE back to that more quicker, more explosive form.. first :rolleyes:.

ESisback

Reaction score
I think there's more talent on this defense than people think. I really do feel like we suffered at the hands of a poor coaching hire coupled with zero off season. I personally think Quinn will be a monster big step up from Nolan. Also, we get a bunch of physically talented draft picks and a complete off season.

I think this defense might surprise some people this year. Not two years from now...this year.

I agree, but it’s not the “popular” view here. I always read a lot of ‘we’re two or three years away’ crap. I think the talent we’ve assembled could be very competitive if coached right, but that seems to be the nonsensical babbling of “gullible Kool Aid drinkers”...

Beaker42

Reaction score
Lots of folks may disagree but I think Zeke will break out this year, although we will see plenty of passing yards Zeke will take advantage of his carries this year. On the D side Randy Gregory is best bet for break out season.
Wilson, Neal, Parsons, Cox, Urban and Gregory on D.
Dak, Lamb, Jarwin and Pollard on O.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Offense: Cee Dee Lamb - I'm predicting he's going to have a Jerry Rice-like second year.
Honorable mention: Dak Prescott - The table is set. He should have a better offensive line, three capable receivers, a worthy tight end, a running back looking to return to the top of his game. Oh, and he's got a new contract so he's not worried about off-the-field matters. If he is who many fans think he is as a quarterback, he should drive this vehicle to no less than an NFC Championship appearance. NO ... MORE ... EXCUSES!
Drive it, Dak!

Defense: Michael Parsons - He's going to be the difference maker. Most of the other starters have been around and really hadn't made much of a difference the past few years. Why would we suddenly expect them to break out?:huh: Parsons will give this defense the spark it needs. Honorable mention: Randy Gregory. This will be the first time in a while he has had a full training camp and will play (barring injuries) a full season. He has yet to tap into his potential because of his spotty track record. With that behind him, if he puts together a full season, he's going to be a monster.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
As a coach, you have to know how to use your skill position players, and know what works best for them- and how their strengths can best for you as a coach. – and from what we’ve seen from Zeke of 2016- 2017 (and strongly assuming we can get him back to that form) he should be able to be a factor in the pass game. ..if he is schemed right.

Elliott doesn’t have to be Sproles like elusive & make miss ‘em in pass game, yes he isn’t over elusive, he’s a one cut runner, he’s not one to stop and re-starting again with choppy miss moves in open field,
I think Zeke’s receiving skills work best with misdirection plays,. the more creative the misdirection plays, the better.

There are ways to implement ZKE in the pass game, just as Linehan did early on with the quick RB screen, that saw several huge splash plays and homerun TD hitters, Kellen won’t work, develop
or be patient with the quick screens or misdirection swing flairs, and I don’t understand McCarthy’s non-involvement in helping Kellen in this area.

But of course the huge key is returning ZKE back to that more quicker, more explosive form.. first :rolleyes:.

I dont think Zeke was ever more explosive and quicker. I just think he had the best line in football in 2016. I also didnt see Zeke ever do well in the passing game. Not other than your standard in the flat pass. Every once in a bloom moon he would have a nice screen run. Nothing special there. If Moore doesnt use Pollard more in the passing game, then shame on him. Zeke is your classing, tough, plodding, straight line power back.

We all know with Zeke hefty contract that Moore is somewhat obligated to use him more than he otherwise might like to. And we all know Jerry pushes him in the offense.

JayFord

Reaction score
offense is full of playmakers we saw when healthy they all made some outstanding plays

defense has 1 playmaker and thats Lawrence he may not have the sacks but he was about the only one that made plays in the run defense department and he got pressure on qbs

issue is you cant have one playmaker on D its not designed for one man on defense to make all the plays.....someone else on d needs to step up....if lawrence draws a double or triple team YOU have to beat your man for a sack

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Offense: Cee Dee Lamb - I'm predicting he's going to have a Jerry Rice-like second year.
Honorable mention: Dak Prescott - The table is set. He should have a better offensive line, three capable receivers, a worthy tight end, a running back looking to return to the top of his game. Oh, and he's got a new contract so he's not worried about off-the-field matters. If he is who many fans think he is as a quarterback, he should drive this vehicle to no less than an NFC Championship appearance. NO ... MORE ... EXCUSES!
Drive it, Dak!

Defense: Michael Parsons - He's going to be the difference maker. Most of the other starters have been around and really hadn't made much of a difference the past few years. Why would we suddenly expect them to break out?:huh: Parsons will give this defense the spark it needs. Honorable mention: Randy Gregory. This will be the first time in a while he has had a full training camp and will play (barring injuries) a full season. He has yet to tap into his potential because of his spotty track record. With that behind him, if he puts together a full season, he's going to be a monster.

Michael Parsons will be a household name, bro.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I’m a huge believer that in team sports, you have to build a great TEAM to win. But every team has to have stars- players that the team relies on to make big plays when the game is on the line. These kind of players have often been called “playmakers”. Again- these are guys that make plays when you have to have it, often times in playoff games or reg seasongames that have meaning.

Every great era of Cowboys football where we were at least serious contenders for a SB, there were playmakers on both sides of the ball. Every decade of Cowboys football that has included contending teams has had multiple playmakers.

Here are some of the big time Cowboys “Playmakers” of the past over the years:

Bob Lily, George Andre, Mel Renfro, Don Meredith, Bob Hayes, Frank Clark, Don Perkins, Chuck Howley, Roger Staubach, Duane Thomas, Drew Pearson, Tony Dorsett, Tony Hill, Randy White, Harvey Martin, Too Tall Jones, Cliff Harris, Everson Walls, Danny White, Troy Aikman, Michael Irvin, Emmitt Smith, Jay Novacek, Charles Haley, Ken Norton, Jr, Deion Sanders, Darren Woodson, DeMarcus Ware, Tony Romo, Jason Witten, Terrell Owens, Dez Bryant…maybe a few others.
Now…in 2021…who are the proven playmakers?

These guys are at this point- on offense, Dak Prescott, Zeke Elliott, Amari Cooper, maybe CeDee Lamb and maybe Michael Gallup. On defense- DeMarcus Lawrence….? Too early to tell on the young guys we’ve drafted this year on defense. Point is, that’s not enough. Especially on D.
So my question is, Who are the playmakers that will emerge? Without them, this is not a playoff team. I’m thinking if the offensive guys like Dak, Zeke and the receivers are back to what they have been, the offense has it playmakers. Defense? Can Parsons develop quickly along with some of the other young guys like Kelvin Joseph, Diggs, and maybe Gregory?

All I know is playmakers are needed. Who do you think they will be?
I think you have most of it..
Dak, Zeke, Cooper, CD, Jarwin, Pollard

Defense
Lawrence, Gregory, Parsons, Diggs

quickccc

Reaction score
I dont think Zeke was ever more explosive and quicker. I just think he had the best line in football in 2016. I also didnt see Zeke ever do well in the passing game. Not other than your standard in the flat pass. Every once in a bloom moon he would have a nice screen run. Nothing special there. If Moore doesnt use Pollard more in the passing game, then shame on him. Zeke is your classing, tough, plodding, straight line power back.

We all know with Zeke hefty contract that Moore is somewhat obligated to use him more than he otherwise might like to. And we all know Jerry pushes him in the offense.

Zeke would've Not have been the No.4 overall pick in the 2016 draft class if he did not display the explosiveness that he came into the NFL out of Ohio State.

The luxury of Zeke is he came into the NFL with a combination of both homerun speed and burst as well as punishing, pile driving power to his game;
and add to that he was considered a fine NFL level blitz blocker, and a good receiver outta backfield, and an outstanding knack for the goal line.

Now this version of Zeke that we've seen the past three years is more of the plodding, methodical, power runner with no longer the inline burst and home run speed.
i've often expressed my own theory on what i thought has happened to Zeke's speed game. but if the other theory that i've seen some have, with wear and tear pounding toll,
should hold true, I am one who would doubt that Zeke ever gets that speed form back. Once wear-tear toll creeps on, usually a RB is close to being done. o_O

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Zeke would've Not have been the No.4 overall pick in the 2016 draft class if he did not display the explosiveness that he came into the NFL out of Ohio State.

The luxury of Zeke is he came into the NFL with a combination of both homerun speed and burst as well as punishing, pile driving power to his game;
and add to that he was considered a fine NFL level blitz blocker, and a good receiver outta backfield, and an outstanding knack for the goal line.

Now this version of Zeke that we've seen the past three years is more of the plodding, methodical, power runner with no longer the inline burst and home run speed.
i've often expressed my own theory on what i thought has happened to Zeke's speed game. but if the other theory that i've seen some have, with wear and tear pounding toll,
should hold true, I am one who would doubt that Zeke ever gets that speed form back. Once wear-tear toll creeps on, usually a RB is close to being done. o_O

Whatever Zeke might have had, is gone. He was playing on Ohio state against college players. Then had the best Oline in football in 2016. Once all those advantages went away, so did Zeke great running. Zeke had big time carries in college and the last few years. He just isnt the back he used to be.

He also doesnt have such a great knack for the GL as he has problems getting in these days. Has trouble in short yardage as well.

Motorola

Reaction score
I’m a huge believer that in team sports, you have to build a great TEAM to win. But every team has to have stars- players that the team relies on to make big plays when the game is on the line. These kind of players have often been called “playmakers”. Again- these are guys that make plays when you have to have it, often times in playoff games or reg seasongames that have meaning.

Every great era of Cowboys football where we were at least serious contenders for a SB, there were playmakers on both sides of the ball. Every decade of Cowboys football that has included contending teams has had multiple playmakers.

maybe a few others.

These guys are at this point- on offense, Dak Prescott, Zeke Elliott, Amari Cooper, maybe CeDee Lamb and maybe Michael Gallup. On defense- DeMarcus Lawrence….? Too early to tell on the young guys we’ve drafted this year on defense. Point is, that’s not enough. Especially on D.
So my question is, Who are the playmakers that will emerge? Without them, this is not a playoff team. I’m thinking if the offensive guys like Dak, Zeke and the receivers are back to what they have been, the offense has it playmakers. Defense? Can Parsons develop quickly along with some of the other young guys like Kelvin Joseph, Diggs, and maybe Gregory?

…maybe a few others.
'haze' - after reading your "playmakers" post - how could you overlook Calvin Calvin Hill and Walt Garrison?