Who are the playmakers that will emerge?

stiletto

Reaction score
No, they can't sign big time FA's after paying DLaw, Zeke, Cooper, and Jaylon.

They can move $ around from other contracts to sign a guy. It kicks the can down the road but they COULD do it.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
I’m a huge believer that in team sports, you have to build a great TEAM to win. But every team has to have stars- players that the team relies on to make big plays when the game is on the line. These kind of players have often been called “playmakers”. Again- these are guys that make plays when you have to have it, often times in playoff games or reg seasongames that have meaning.

Every great era of Cowboys football where we were at least serious contenders for a SB, there were playmakers on both sides of the ball. Every decade of Cowboys football that has included contending teams has had multiple playmakers.

Here are some of the big time Cowboys “Playmakers” of the past over the years:

Bob Lily, George Andre, Mel Renfro, Don Meredith, Bob Hayes, Frank Clark, Don Perkins, Chuck Howley, Roger Staubach, Duane Thomas, Drew Pearson, Tony Dorsett, Tony Hill, Randy White, Harvey Martin, Too Tall Jones, Cliff Harris, Everson Walls, Danny White, Troy Aikman, Michael Irvin, Emmitt Smith, Jay Novacek, Charles Haley, Ken Norton, Jr, Deion Sanders, Darren Woodson, DeMarcus Ware, Tony Romo, Jason Witten, Terrell Owens, Dez Bryant…maybe a few others.
Now…in 2021…who are the proven playmakers?

These guys are at this point- on offense, Dak Prescott, Zeke Elliott, Amari Cooper, maybe CeDee Lamb and maybe Michael Gallup. On defense- DeMarcus Lawrence….? Too early to tell on the young guys we’ve drafted this year on defense. Point is, that’s not enough. Especially on D.
So my question is, Who are the playmakers that will emerge? Without them, this is not a playoff team. I’m thinking if the offensive guys like Dak, Zeke and the receivers are back to what they have been, the offense has it playmakers. Defense? Can Parsons develop quickly along with some of the other young guys like Kelvin Joseph, Diggs, and maybe Gregory?

All I know is playmakers are needed. Who do you think they will be?
We haven't had many of these in a long time. I think the last one we had on defense was David Irving as much as that will pain so many.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We haven't had many of these in a long time. I think the last one we had on defense was David Irving as much as that will pain so many.
DI made a few plays in the short time he was relevant. A few were big. It’s the “short time he was relevant” that eliminates him from being a real playmaker. He didn’t play enough to be considered consistent. He certainly had the talent but never had the commitment. He had a ton of ability- except of course the foundational ones- availability and reliability.

armadillooutlaw

Reaction score
I assume by playmaker you mean true pro bowl caliber production at a minimum, or no?
If that's what you are talking about then I'm not sure there are many truly realistic candidates beyond the established names.
Certainly Lamb with a full year of having his QB should be a playmaker on offense.
On defense I'd start with Diggs and Parsons as possibilities, with Randy Gregory being a very slight possibility of being a true X-factor.
I just don't see it beyond those names.

kskboys

Reaction score
They can move $ around from other contracts to sign a guy. It kicks the can down the road but they COULD do it.
Which is why we can't afford anyone to begin w/!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kskboys

Reaction score
I assume by playmaker you mean true pro bowl caliber production at a minimum, or no?
If that's what you are talking about then I'm not sure there are many truly realistic candidates beyond the established names.
Certainly Lamb with a full year of having his QB should be a playmaker on offense.
On defense I'd start with Diggs and Parsons as possibilities, with Randy Gregory being a very slight possibility of being a true X-factor.
I just don't see it beyond those names.
Unless the rook is a revalation at CB.

Oh, and don't forget Kazee. He's a real ballhawk at S. If fully recovered from his achillees tear, of course.

waving monkey

Reaction score
I’m a huge believer that in team sports, you have to build a great TEAM to win. But every team has to have stars- players that the team relies on to make big plays when the game is on the line. These kind of players have often been called “playmakers”. Again- these are guys that make plays when you have to have it, often times in playoff games or reg seasongames that have meaning.

Every great era of Cowboys football where we were at least serious contenders for a SB, there were playmakers on both sides of the ball. Every decade of Cowboys football that has included contending teams has had multiple playmakers.

Here are some of the big time Cowboys “Playmakers” of the past over the years:

Bob Lily, George Andre, Mel Renfro, Don Meredith, Bob Hayes, Frank Clark, Don Perkins, Chuck Howley, Roger Staubach, Duane Thomas, Drew Pearson, Tony Dorsett, Tony Hill, Randy White, Harvey Martin, Too Tall Jones, Cliff Harris, Everson Walls, Danny White, Troy Aikman, Michael Irvin, Emmitt Smith, Jay Novacek, Charles Haley, Ken Norton, Jr, Deion Sanders, Darren Woodson, DeMarcus Ware, Tony Romo, Jason Witten, Terrell Owens, Dez Bryant…maybe a few others.
Now…in 2021…who are the proven playmakers?

These guys are at this point- on offense, Dak Prescott, Zeke Elliott, Amari Cooper, maybe CeDee Lamb and maybe Michael Gallup. On defense- DeMarcus Lawrence….? Too early to tell on the young guys we’ve drafted this year on defense. Point is, that’s not enough. Especially on D.
So my question is, Who are the playmakers that will emerge? Without them, this is not a playoff team. I’m thinking if the offensive guys like Dak, Zeke and the receivers are back to what they have been, the offense has it playmakers. Defense? Can Parsons develop quickly along with some of the other young guys like Kelvin Joseph, Diggs, and maybe Gregory?

All I know is playmakers are needed. Who do you think they will be?
my hot take is Nahson Wright.
most likely its Parsons.
a contributor is Bohanna cause he has to fill the hole and he is already strong

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
CeeDee is the obvious name, but it's for a reason. He had 1,000 yards last year and made plenty of rookie mistakes doing it... if he cleans them up at ALL, he's going to be a star.

Randy Gregory is a dude I could easily see balling out on defense. He's in a great spot for his speed rusher skillset and is only going to get better as he plays more football.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lots of folks may disagree but I think Zeke will break out this year, although we will see plenty of passing yards Zeke will take advantage of his carries this year. On the D side Randy Gregory is best bet for break out season.

I would like to believe this, but the fact remains that he only has 10.5 sacks in 38 career games, and he's only played 38 of a possible 96 games over his career. At this point I'm skeptical if he ever was the player he was expected to be, but even if he was that guy to begin with, I wonder what the cost was in terms of his development, as well has his mindset and physical ability, by missing so much of his first 6 seasons.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
I think Gregory gets double digit sacks this year. I also think Parsons saves our dismal LB core.