Who decides who plays? Coaches, players, or?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
MM said in a news conference last week they were thinking of not playing Zeke against the Saints to rest his knee. When reporters asked Zeke about it he replied “nobody has talked to me about sitting”. Then Zeke played. Not sure what conclusion to draw from that. MM is afraid of Zeke and backed down ? Jerry told MM to mind his own business ?
I know Jerry was on his weekly radio show Mon or Tues saying “Zeke will play”. Pretty sure Big Mac had not made that declaration yet. I don’t have a huge problem with JJ having his own weekly radio show. But he needs to shut up about injuries. If asked by reporters he should say, “That’s Coach McCarthy’s decision”.

But Jerry can’t do that. He must be the face of this franchise and the mouthpiece of all decisions. Honestly, it’s pathetic.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
To me it’s a matter of, at least in the case of the offense, players personnel being dictate by formation or play call. They’re too stubborn, or foolish, to instead go with the hot hand or who performs better at what.

In addition to Pollard/Zeke you also have the team foolishly putting Gallup in the slot. Just a lot of weird square peg in round hole decisions.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Its Jerry's call. Zeke is a great example of a guy whose playing b/c the owner expects him to see him on the field selling Jerseys. There is no question that Pollard is the more effective back particularly the past month. But we keep feeding Zeke even when he's clearly not 100%. Pollard has been better than Zeke in every game where he's been given a significant opportunity to play. In Dallas, the contract and players public profile are more important than whose better. Same reason it took so long to get Connor Williams off the field. He was a premium draft pick and was going to be given every opportunity dam the results.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
I kind of knew that…still can’t believe that may be true. I’m almost surprised JJ doesn’t have a challenge flag bazooka from the owners box and that’s he’s not on a headset.

Pitiful.
What makes you think he doesn’t call down to McCarthy?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Its Jerry's call. Zeke is a great example of a guy whose playing b/c the owner expects him to see him on the field selling Jerseys. There is no question that Pollard is the more effective back particularly the past month. But we keep feeding Zeke even when he's clearly not 100%. Pollard has been better than Zeke in every game where he's been given a significant opportunity to play. In Dallas, the contract and players public profile are more important than whose better. Same reason it took so long to get Connor Williams off the field. He was a premium draft pick and was going to be given every opportunity dam the results.
Elliott was a 1st rounder and Booger caught some heat for taking a RB that high and then took more when he acquiesced to his demands with 2 years left and paid him what he did. No way he's letting him sit on the sideline and catch more heat.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Elliott was a 1st rounder and Booger caught some heat for taking a RB that high and then took more when he acquiesced to his demands with 2 years left and paid him what he did. No way he's letting him sit on the sideline and catch more heat.
Yep per ..And this is to the heart of matter.

Last thing he wants is Pollard coming in and showing the world we don’t need our 90 million RB.

The ongoing saga and conflict of interest having the owner also running football operations.

DripTooHard

Reaction score
I kind of knew that…still can’t believe that may be true. I’m almost surprised JJ doesn’t have a challenge flag bazooka from the owners box and that’s he’s not on a headset.

Pitiful.

You never know. He might have buttons in his skybox that he pushes for the play call.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The only way I can answer this is to say that I've never once heard a player, present or past, say that Jerry decided he was playing.

dcstar

Reaction score
Could be Mr Jones wants a little return on his ill advised money guarantees he paid this clown before he cuts bait after this season.

Millions upon millions of dollars for a few thousand yards and a dozen or so touchdowns. Good lawd.

Go Cowboys!

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
In this organization, who decides who starts, how long they play, etc? Why am I asking?
  • It is clear that Zeke has no business playing right now and should be resting for the stretch run. And why was he still running the ball when the game was clearly decided and all they needed was someone to soak some clock?
  • Do star players just disregard coaches’ decisions or are coaches allowing this?
  • Or- Are Jerry and the FO calling the shots on playing time? Jerry foolishly announces injury updates on his radio “show” weekly. Is he in charge of playing time and who starts?
I like seeing players showing toughness but Zeke is a liability right now. There’s a line between toughness and effectiveness and Zeke’s injury is clearly making him ineffective.

Why is he playing and who decides that?

Maybe they're keeping Pollard fresh.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
If a player is medically cleared, then it is up to the head coach who actually plays in the game.

With that being said, the owner can influence the head coach to a great degree.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
In this organization, who decides who starts, how long they play, etc? Why am I asking?
  • It is clear that Zeke has no business playing right now and should be resting for the stretch run. And why was he still running the ball when the game was clearly decided and all they needed was someone to soak some clock?
  • Do star players just disregard coaches’ decisions or are coaches allowing this?
  • Or- Are Jerry and the FO calling the shots on playing time? Jerry foolishly announces injury updates on his radio “show” weekly. Is he in charge of playing time and who starts?
I like seeing players showing toughness but Zeke is a liability right now. There’s a line between toughness and effectiveness and Zeke’s injury is clearly making him ineffective.

I was wondering the same things myself. I even wondered if the team should use a temp running back to back up Pollard while Zeke rests and heals. Do we have a RB on the practice squad? If not, is there a decent rent-a-player free agent to sign? Zeke clearly isn't himself. I confess I don't know the full details of IR -- isn't there a specified number of games a player has to be on IR? In any event, do whatever it takes to let Zeke heal.

sunalsorises

Reaction score
I suspect in a lot of cases the contract determines playing time. For example, if a player has to hit a certain benchmark for playing time or tackles or yards gained to make a bonus then that player is going to push to hit that benchmark.

What I sometimes wonder is the chain of command on that. If coach tells player you are resting for the greater good and player wants to hit his bonus and complains to Jerry then how does that dynamic settle?

glimmerman

Reaction score

Elliot is tough. He got tackled and when they showed it I thought his ankle was broken. No doubt he is playing injured. If they did a MRI I bet it’s at least a high ankle sprain.. Hoping the 10 day rest helps. They need to rest him as much as possible. He needs to be pulled from games if he isn’t running good.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
RGIII was never the same after Shanahan's decision to keep playing him while hurt. I hope the Cowboys aren't making the same mistake with Zeke