Who has been Dallas’ best rb the last 25 years?

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Murray had a good rookie season, a very good 3rd season, and that career defining season

he wasn’t just a one season wonder

he actually would post 1k yards for the titans as well
He had a nice comeback with Tennessee too, and probably had a few more good years before he retited. 7000+ rushing yards and 50+ TD's is pretty solid career

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The thread should be changed to the best Cowboys back since Emmitt Smith.
Id take 1997 and beyond Emmit over Elliott. I think running in that era was more difficult as teams were still built to stop it

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Even when people are down on Zeke, he's usually playing well. He gets a pass from me for last year, because that line was atrocious at the end of the year, especially playoffs, and he was playing through an injury.

I think they give him the ball too much. But I figure this will be the year Pollard actually does get more carries.

Hard to have a conversation about Randle. He played for like 6 games. I never got to analyze how good he would have been as a run blocker. But for his short period of games, he had some really good runs.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
Murray had a good rookie season, a very good 3rd season, and that career defining season

he wasn’t just a one season wonder

he actually would post 1k yards for the titans as well

Murray had 2 seasons of 1K or more yards for the cowboys. Who cares what he did or didn't do once he left, since the question was regarding the Cowboys.

He had a good year in 2013, and a great year in 2014 - he also had 10 and 13 fumbles respectively in those years and 1 of them cost a chance to go to the NFC title game in 2014. He also had the most dominant O line since the superbowl teams in 2014 and the best QB play in 2014 in the NFL. Zeke hasn't had any of that.

I am not saying Murray was a BAD rb.. he was a good back. Zeke is just better.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Id take 1997 and beyond Emmit over Elliott. I think running in that era was more difficult as teams were still built to stop it

He was still playing at a high level in 1997 and the OL was still great. He had a couple of 1300 yard seasons after 1997 and a 1200 yard season in 2000.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Emmitt Smith was the best Cowboys back the last 25 years. From 1997 to 2000 he was still producing.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Talent wise it's Elliott for sure.

As far as production, Murray comes to mind, but probably still Elliott.

sunalsorises

Reaction score
If only Zeke could have played with Romo like why he was drafted. I suspect he would have been even better.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Best season - Murray. Body of work - Elliott.
I agree!

fwiw......Prime Elliott goes for over 2000 yards on that 2014 team.
Those holes were massive and teams feared the passing game. I liked Murray, but he was no Elliott

D4KADON

Reaction score
Murray had 2 seasons of 1K or more yards for the cowboys. Who cares what he did or didn't do once he left, since the question was regarding the Cowboys.

He had a good year in 2013, and a great year in 2014 - he also had 10 and 13 fumbles respectively in those years and 1 of them cost a chance to go to the NFC title game in 2014. He also had the most dominant O line since the superbowl teams in 2014 and the best QB play in 2014 in the NFL. Zeke hasn't had any of that.

I am not saying Murray was a BAD rb.. he was a good back. Zeke is just better.

I mean didn’t Zeke have a better line in 2016?
I see your point about the qb but at that time defenses hadn’t figured out prescott yet and it forced them to play many sides of the field?

Bizwah

Reaction score
I'm glad to see people remember Emmitt.

I agree that this thread should be titled "Who is the best RB since Emmitt?"

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Julius Jones
Marion Barber
Tashard Choice
Felix Jones
DeMarco Murray
Joseph Randle
Darren McFadden
Ezekiel Elliott
Tony Pollard

These are the primary ones I can remember from memory so apologies if I forgot one you like

I’m going with Murray

#ZekeHate

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Murray had the 1 year team record of most rushing yards but had major durability issue throughout his career otherwise.

Elliott had a 3 year window of dominance. Afterwards his body broke down, effectiveness severely reduced and shelf life sped up based upon
the high volume of carries/touches/punishment his body endured.

That sums up the post Emmitt Smith RB talent comparisons. All the others were not as good as Murray or Elliott so I did not mention them.

yet…

1200 APY

12 TDS

torn PCL