Who have you met?

HardHittin'Witten

This ain't Madden
Reaction score
Robert Jones lives in the Austin area. He eats at the restaurant I used to manage. He autographed a team picture from 1993 for us. He's a really nice guy and has a great famiily.

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
jterrell said:
Absolutely.
Title is just, "who have you met?"

Fill us in on good stories, sounds like you have plenty.

Dirk is an uber Dallas star; perhaps him.

General Norman Schwarzkopf - was his driver for a day

General Omar Bradley - he was very old when I met him and in a wheelchair

General Wesley Clark - not my cup of tea

Couple of 4-5 princesses out of Denmark/Sweden/Norway (not young but very nice company)

AL Gore before VP, George Bush, King Faad(I think thats how you spell it) lots of Prince's al something or other...King Hussien the one who died recently

Mike Wallace, Dan Rather, Petulia Clark, David Crosby, Steven Stills, Mike Oldfield, Mike Pinder (Moody Blues)

Those are off the top of my head..I know I left a bunch off...

ummm

General Rommel's son who was mayor of Stuttgart

er... almost famous

couple of almost playboy bunnies who did not make the cut but they get a nice 24k necklace with the bunnie symbol

aww man I am drawing a blank I may add some later

Peace

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Haven't met anyone... But have seen Emmitt, Aikman, and Dat around town at training camp... Troy and Dat were in a bar; Emmitt was in a popular mexican food restaurant with Robert Thomas and another guy I couldn't recognize. Must have been a fringe WR or CB as the guy was pretty small.

At the same restaurant, I sat at a table right next to Jerry Jones, who was incredibly friendly to everyone who came up to him. I should have spoken to him, but he was constantly busy.

Saw Tyson Walter at San Antonio in a mall food court.

Have seen Newman a couple of times at different restaurants around Dallas.

Quick Impressions:

Dat may not be tall, but he has some wide, wide shoulders. I don't doubt that he weighs in the 240s.

Aikman is surprisingly big, both height- and bulk- wise. He was also wearing a fanny pack... C'mon Troy.

Jerry wasn't just being fake -- he seems like a genuinely good guy.

Walter was very tall but a lot less bulky than I would have expected for a lineman. I wouldn't call him skinny, but he just looked like a normally-proportioned athlete. Of course, this was Parcells' first camp and he had everyone slimmed down.

Newman looked taller than I would have thought and is pretty lanky for his size. Didn't call any attention to himself and was very low key both times... And one of the times was about a year ago when people were still high on his good rookie year. I thought it was kind of neat that he seemed like a humble, regular guy and not the brash, cocky cornerback stereotype.

jackrussell

Last of the Duke Street Kings
Reaction score
Met too many Cowboys to list. My faves were when I stayed on the same floor as Tom Landry in Buffalo. Growing up, Landry was always a tall man with a hat, yet when I rode up the elevator with him, I didn't know him as his back was to me, no hat, and was a bit shorter. Realizing who he was, I just put out my hand and told him how much a pleasure it was to meet him. I was so in awe I hadn't realized he gotten off on my floor, so I dashed for the doors as they closed and squoze my way out. He kinda looked over his shoulder thinking I was a stalker I'm sure.

Tony Dorsett in the Stadium Club at Texas Stadium. Got to use his seats the next week.

Best non- Cowboy meeting, one I don't elaborate on as most just roll their eyes in disbelief: Elvis Presley.

JakeCamp12

Reaction score
I have met Bob Lilly, Randy White, Dat, Dexter, Jason Witten and Julius Jones at various card shows here on the east coast. Randy White was a real nice guy. We talked about the Catch for a little bit. He told me he has never gone back to look at the video of that game. It makes him sick just to think about it. That is a man that truly defined what being a Dallas Cowboy was all about.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
As a reporter, I got to interview Tom Landry, John Niland and Deion Sanders. I was in the same room as Emmitt Smith and another little-known Cowboy safety whose name currently escapes me, but I didn't speak to them. Emmitt didn't seem like he was in the mood to talk. Then again, it was a bunch of media people around, and we were there to interview Sanders and T.D. Jakes.

Reaction score
I taked to my childhood idol Tony Dorsett for about an hour while in Hawaii before the Pro Bowl back in like 86-87...

DT Jimmie Jones gave me his playing Glove when they played the Colts here in Indy back when he scored that TD in the Super Bowl...

I met Mean Joe Green...
Bill Cower
Bashed with Mark McGuires brother..Sorry forgot his name...
Partied with Icky "Shuffle" Woods...

Talked for some time with Cornell Green a few years back at the NFL combine here...

Of course met both Bill & Jerry here at this past NFL Combine...
Many others as well...

I sold John Mellencamp's old BMW... :cool:

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
Zaxor said:
General Omar Bradley - he was very old when I met him and in a wheelchair

That's funny, I met Karl Malden, who played Omar Bradley in the movie "Patton", at a Dodger game in the late 70s. Had to squeeze by him to get to our seats and recognized him, said "Hey, Karl Malden", and kept on going.

Saw and met lots of celebrities and sports stars when I lived in L.A. Way too many to name but I'll throw out a few of the more memorable ones...

Almost got my can kicked by Lyle Alzado while waiting in line at the movies. He was with some gorgeous blond and I was trying to see her from behind his HUGE shoulders. He was shorter than me but about twice as wide/thick. She saw me looking at her and smiled at me. He saw that and turned around and got up in my face. Needless to say, I apologized and looked in another direction.

Used to play basketball in Manhattan Beach where Marcus Allen, Howie Long, and several other Raiders used to play as well. Long played soft against me unless he wanted to score, didn't want to hurt anyone I guess. Very light on his feet and quick as well as enormously strong.

I ran into a pick by Allen and almost killed myself. I've never met anyone with so little body fat and so much muscle mass as him! It was like running into a steel post. I outweighed him by a good 30 pounds but I just bounced off him. Amazing!

My dad was friends with Lamar Lundy who was one of the "Fearsome Foursome" for the Rams in the late 60s-early 70s. We used to go to BBQs at his house and I got to meet most of the Rams players from that era. Deacon Jones was one scary looking SOB but he was actually a pretty nice guy to the kids. Merlin Olsen and Roger Brown were the two biggest guys I had ever met (until I played V-Ball against Wilt). They were just massive guys but both were the typical gentle giants as was Rosie Grier. Grier was a bit standoffish the few times I saw him while the other guys were playing with the kids a lot.

I played beach volleyball back in the late 70s-early 80s and played against Wilt Chamberlain one time. Talk about HUGE! My partner was a bodybuilder who was 6'8" 285 and he looked small compared with Wilt. We won the match but mostly because Wilt's partner was nursing a bad ankle and played horribly. Wilt was really upset about losing but I went up to him afterwards and shook his hand, well actually my hand just disappeared for a minute, and told him he had been a hero of mine growing up. He thanked me and congratulated me on the win.

There were lots more but those are the most memorable ones, along with meeting Bob Lilly of course but I already posted about that.

Duane

Reaction score
I met Jerry Ball who played NT for the Lions a couple of times - his uncle lived across the street from my parent's business.

Also was friends and went to high school with Earl Dotson who played RT for the Packers for a number of years.

CM Duck

I'm breaking the 4th wall...
Reaction score
I went on a roadtrip on 6/21/04 with my Dad to Katy, Texas.
The reason for the trip isn't important. By the way I live in
Victoria,Texas(between Houston and Corpus). On the way back we went
through Richmond,Texas. While in Richmond we stopped at a gas
station. I walked in and what I saw was basically a "wall of fame"
filled with pictures of the glory days of football (NFL and
Longhorns). All of these pictures had one man in them. Anyways, when
we went to the register to pay for our "snacks" there were two "old
school" NFL helmets. One was a Commanders(I know, don't get me started)
and the other was a COWBOYS helmet. The lady behind the counter must
have heard my "ooh's and aahh's" and she told me that the gentleman
that owned the store wore the COWBOYS helmet in SUPER BOWL VI! For
some reason neither me nor my Dad could remember who the 'Boys beat
in that SUPER BOWL, I guess I was still freaking out because of all
the memorabilia I just looked at. It came to me soon after. Once we
sat in the truck we noticed the gentleman was outside the store(doing
maitenance I guess). We asked him what happened to his SUPER BOWL
RING (just as a joke to break the ice) and he said he still wears it.
I explained what a die hard COWBOYS fan I am and all that corny
stuff. Then he told me "well since you're such a big fan I have to
show you my ring...". Before I could tell him not to go to any
trouble, that I just wanted to meet a former DALLAS COWBOY(a World
Champion DALLAS COWBOY who played for Coach Landry that is!),
honestly my words probably came out more like "durrr, duuhhh, durrr,
duuhhh...". lol, he took his hand out of his pocket, took the ring
off and set in my hand. I know this is gonna sound real corny and
childish to some of you but, WOW!!!!! I had a frickin' DALLAS COWBOY
SUPER BOWL RING in my hand! I felt like Gollum from LOTR!("the
precious...") lol. Oh, and when he put the ring in my hand he
said "There's the bad sumbi**h right there."

The genleman's name is Don Talbert. He was an offensive lineman. He
wore #72. If you look on dallascowboys.com on the history link click
on the '71 team picture, he is in the 3rd or 4th row. I am not sure
if he was a starter or a backup. By looking at the helmet I saw he
was a starter because the helmet was "marked" up in a way that can
only happen with playing time. From looking at the pictures, it
looked as if he played for the University of Texas, Dallas Cowboys,
Commanders, and the rams.

Anyways, we talked to him for about 10 minutes. He is very down to
earth, a good man. It made me wonder if I was to see Erik Williams or
Nate Newton somewhere, would they be as cool and down to earth as Mr.
Talbert is? Would they take 10 or 15 minutes to talk to a diehard
fan? Would they let a true fan hold one of their RINGS? I hate to say
it, but I seriously doubt it. Times are different, there's a big
generation gap there, know what I mean?

I just wish we had more time to sit and talk to Mr. Talbert, he
didn't run us off, it was late and we had a 2 hour drive ahead of us.
I bet he has some great stories to tell. He is not the first DALLAS
COWBOY I have met, but he was the most open to conversation with a
fan. He seems to be one of those "old timers" that I would like to
hang out with. You know start up the BBQ pit with an icechest filled
with beer, kick back and listen to stories of the glory(Landry) days.

So if any of you guys are in the Richmond,Texas area(just south of
Houston) maybe you'll run into a former DALLAS COWBOY that was on the
first world championship team. If I remember correctly the gas
station is located at the intersection of HWY99 and HWY59.

Gotta go. Commanders AND EAGLES SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
I havent met many NFL players. I personally know some HUGE track stars that are in college. Reggie Witherspoon for Florida( track friend. State record holder in the 400, 3 time state champ) Aries Merritt(track friend, one of the top hurdlers in the nation as a SOPH now, at Tennessee)

I have met Michael Johnson( Mr. Gold shoes in the olympics) And ever since have done nothing but run. I was like a Kenyan, i ran anywhere i went. Then got into working out and got a nice combo.

Got my pic with Michael Johnson, and he bought me dinner when the olympics came to Atlanta.

I met Mike Tyson, he's much bigger in person. Even expecting him to be a beast you are surprised,(not tall at all tho obviously)

I know some Texas area Rappers, Mike Jones, Z-Ro, and Lil Flip. And atlanta rappers D4l, Trap Squad, and others found in the atlanta scene.

I met Luda at a party, and freestyled with him.( not goin line for line, but he said im pretty good. Im normally the one who can freestyle bout anything and put on a show for my boys but Im not luda level lol! It was an experience. he's like 5'7 I swear, he's short)

I think thats it.

Cowboy Junkie

leonargized
Reaction score
A friend and I met Emmit twice. My friend is a 30 plus year old autograph hound and a few yrs before Emmit left the Boys, we ran into Emmit at the team hotel and my buddy had a picture of Dick Butkus taclking Emmitt .He asked Emmitt to autograph it . Emmitt said "nice picture". My buddy said "thanx how bout that auto" . Emmitt said "you make me sick getting auto's so you can sell it on ebay". My buddy after that thought Emmitt was a jerk then we ran into Emmitt again his last year as a Cowboy again at the team hotel and a bunch of players came in with Emmitt and there was bout 30 or so trying to get autographs and my buddy wasn't bout to ask Emmitt when Emmitt called my buddy over and said hey you still want an autograph and my buddy shocked said "sure". and Emmitt said "your going to keep this for yourself right" My buddy still stuned said "yeah" .then Emmitt said "whats your name". My buddy said "Byron". Emmitt wrote "To Byron a great fan" That was the only autograph he did and he went way out of his way to do it , also the incidents were bout 3 or 4 years apart. My buddy was very happy ,but the first time he met Emmitt he had a new born and he was collecting for him and his son name isn't Byron.

I played against Rocket Ismail ,Ricky Waters and played with Gary Brown in high school.
Well after high school I ran into Rocket and even though we are not on a first name bases by any means he introduced me to Reggie White. They were hangin together in Charlotte and he actually approached me and said hey don't I know you from our match ups in PA I said yeah hows it going? He said "What brings you down south? I answerd him , Then he said "this is Reggie White". Reggie said "You a fan"? I said "right now I am "cause Reggie was intimadating. Rocket said "good answer".
That was bout it.

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
HardHittin'Witten said:
Robert Jones lives in the Austin area. He eats at the restaurant I used to manage. He autographed a team picture from 1993 for us. He's a really nice guy and has a great famiily.
aren't jones and rodney peete's wives a pair of twin sisters?

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
i met tony dorsett in the mid-80's when he was campaigning for incumbent governor tony anaya in eastern new mexico.

there was such a throng present - it was highly impersonal. almost a letdown.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
tothewhipbill said:
aren't jones and rodney peete's wives a pair of twin sisters?
Holly Robinson Peete is not a twin.

leonargized said:
I played against Rocket Ismail ,Ricky Waters and played with Gary Brown in high school.
Well after high school I ran into Rocket and even though we are not on a first name bases by any means he introduced me to Reggie White. They were hangin together in Charlotte and he actually approached me and said hey don't I know you from our match ups in PA I said yeah hows it going? He said "What brings you down south? I answerd him , Then he said "this is Reggie White". Reggie said "You a fan"? I said "right now I am "cause Reggie was intimadating. Rocket said "good answer".
That was bout it.
:laugh2:

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
leonargized said:
we ran into Emmit at the team hotel and my buddy had a picture of Dick Butkus taclking Emmitt .

Just so you know, Dick Butkus retired from football when Emmitt was 4 years old. Did Butkus show up at Emmitt's 5th birthday party or something?

Nice try kid.

Irving Cowboy

The Chief
Reaction score
THUMPER said:
Just so you know, Dick Butkus retired from football when Emmitt was 4 years old. Did Butkus show up at Emmitt's 5th birthday party or something?

Nice try kid.

I noticed that too... but the first thought was maybe that it was some sort of digitized photo....

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
THUMPER said:

Nice try kid.
Welcome to the photoshop generation, Thumper. ;)

Juke made me a pic of Roy horse-collaring Red Grange.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:
Welcome to the photoshop generation, Thumper. ;)

Juke made me a pic of Roy horse-collaring Red Grange.

Maybe it was Butkus tackling Bob Hayes since Hayes also wore #22 and actually played against Butkus.

Cowboy Junkie

leonargized
Reaction score
THUMPER said:

Nice try kid.

It was a picture he got at a fair it was a trick picture.
I know that Butkus could not have tackled Emmitt in an NFL game.
He could have gotten himself tackling Emmitt if he had wanted.