Who here has never seen the Cowboys win a Super Bowl live on TV or in person?

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
I’m so old I’ve seen every Cowboys playoff game- all 67 in its history on live tv. Unfortunately, none in person. My first sports cry happened when Bart Starr scored The winning TD in the Ice Bowl on Dec 31, 1967. I was nine years old.

I watched the Cowboys lose the SB V against the colts in Jan 1971, then watched them beat the dolphins in SB VI in Jan, 1972 at home with my dad and brother. I‘ve seen every Cowboys SB game.
I don't remember the Ice Bowl myself. I was 2 or 3, then, I think. I did ask my mom maybe around 20 years after the Ice Bowl if she watched it, and she groaned. That loss was painful to her. My dad is 91 and my mom is 87. They started watching the Cowboys in their inaugural 1960 season, and went to some of those games at the Cotton Bowl. For me, my most painful game was the 1981 NFC Championship against the 49ers. That was made worse because there was this jerk kid at school who was a 49er fan, and had to be all obnoxious about it. The toughest losses are not the blowouts. They're the super close games where your team is about a half an inch away from winning, but the other team somehow pulls through. Now it's tough to see the 49ers being such a better team than the Cowboys. They're just run better. I wish I could say that my Cowboys were as good as they are, but it's just not true.
I wish Jerry would pay close attention to how teams like the 49ers and the Chiefs are run. They're just more smartly run.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I've seen a SB happen, way back when Tom Landry was our HC and Tex Schram was our GM. Those were the days, my friend! Nowadays, the Jones clan likes to celebrate their riches and the shiny brand that they foster. Unfortunately, it's not working like it should. What a dang pity! One day, maybe they'll come to see the error of their ways but sadly, that's a story for another day. Maybe it'll change when they can finally see straight, for a change? Yeah, just keep waiting . . . that'll be the day! Seems like they should be rich enough by now -- is that even possible?

Last edited:

SinceDayOne

Reaction score
Seen all of them either in person or on television. Also saw the two NFL championship games prior to the SB era. I am one of the class of 1960 fans. "Since Day One."

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
I remember the "next year's champions" days. SB V was one of my first real sports related disappointments. That same year my Boston Bruins lost a 7 game series to the hated Montreal Canadiens in the quarter finals, so it was a tough year for young me. Both the Bruins and Cowboys won the trophy the following year, and off I was on the roller coaster ride of fandom.

I've seen all of them on TV, but I hope I get to see one on a flat screen in hi def before it's over.

DAL1180

Reaction score
Who here has never seen a Super Bowl live, whether it be on the TV, or where ever? I know there are tons of us that have seen our Cowboys win a SB, but who here has not seen our Cowboy win one in real time.

Not the times you have seen one, but just the posters that have never witnessed our team win one?

I won't ask for your thoughts?
Me. 77 on TV. 92 and 95 on TV. 93 in person at the Georgia Dome.

plasticman

Reaction score
Seen all 8 Super Bowls on TV, ecstatic after 5 of them, devastated after the other 3.

The Cowboys lost every close Super Bowl they palyed in. They lost three Super Bowls by a total margin of 11 points. Before the Giants defeated the Bills in Super Bowl 25, the three closest Super Bowl games were the three that the Cowboys lost.

Conversely, every Super Bowl the Cowboys have won have been by double digit margins. In those 5 Super Bowls the average margin of victory is 20 points.

It's one thing to sit and enjoy your team taking another apart in a Super Bowl. However, a Super Bowl game with your team that comes down to the last drive in a Super Bowl will take a year or two off your life

calico

Reaction score
I was born in ‘79 so I saw Super Bowls 27, 28, 30.

I miss the days when I would watch the cowboys on Super Bowl Sunday and not even be nervous because you knew they were going to win. Only SB 30 made me a bit nervous cause I knew that waste of human space, Switzer, would screw it up somehow.

TRUTH87

Cowboy for Life
Reaction score
There are some of us who were in elementary school in 1995 (I was around 10) who didn’t take football seriously back then. I don’t remember watching a SB with the Cowboys in it.
same. i was 8 in 1995 and my dad was not into football at that time. so i have no recollection of cowboys winning the SB. it wasn’t til around the year 2001 that i began to follow the team with Quincy Carter at QB and veteran Emmitt Smith at RB.

Funny thing now is both my parents are fans now too and many other siblings as well thanks to me.

:laugh:

mrmojo

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I've seen them all, but SB 6 is the first one I understood what was going on. Each one was stressful as a fan because the Cowboys were always close in the SBs that they lost, so the blowout wins were welcome.

But it's the greatest feeling as a fan.....I think thats why some of us older fans are spoiled and expect more.

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
Three 12 win seasons in a row is entertaining. I'll take that and a devastating loss in the first round rather than suffer through 6-8 win seasons which is exactly what we'd get if many of the posters here had their way. We've got a top 6 or 7 QB in the league and a bunch of knuckleheads like Skip Bayless want him gone. It's one of the dumbest narratives in all of sports. Or the 'Jerry Jones doesn't know what he's doing' crowd. Yeah, he does actually. The Cowboys are one of the best run teams in the NFL. They draft exceptionally well, but like every other team in the league, they occasionally don't get something right. Big deal. Ask the Broncos fans how they feel right about now.
Wow, that's basically just opposite of my point of view but of course I respect your opinion and I can see where you are coming from.

Just sayin that change doesn't necessarily mean a worse outcome. But just sticking with what you got will also continue to get you what you always got. +500 seasons by beating up the little guys but crash and burn games in the early play offs. And no, this is not just Dak. But then this team is definately not the best run organization in the NFL. The culture is a joke and the way Jerry involves himself in BAU so far hasn't had any positive effects. Their drafting / scouting team is very good, I'll give you that. But whoever is responsible for building this team should switch over to european football where the end of the regular season defines who is champion.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Wow, that's basically just opposite of my point of view but of course I respect your opinion and I can see where you are coming from.

Just sayin that change doesn't necessarily mean a worse outcome. But just sticking with what you got will also continue to get you what you always got. +500 seasons by beating up the little guys but crash and burn games in the early play offs. And no, this is not just Dak. But then this team is definately not the best run organization in the NFL. The culture is a joke and the way Jerry involves himself in BAU so far hasn't had any positive effects. Their drafting / scouting team is very good, I'll give you that. But whoever is responsible for building this team should switch over to european football where the end of the regular season defines who is champion.
The difference is playing meaningful games and playoff football.

I lived through the 3 straight 5 win seasons of Campo. That is unwatchable.
You are rooting for losses to draft higher with zero guarantee you hit on anyone great and if you do you have to learn to win games, build experience in a young core and then pay them big money all about hte time you are turning a corner.
What has being bad gotten the Commanders or Giants over the last decade?

You'd rather be them than Dallas?
I honestly don't belive people who say this mean it.
They just assume a couple bad seasons means they get to win it all. But it most definitely does not work like that.

Bullet22

Reaction score
I have seen every Super Bowl plan...and before that....I started watching the Boys plan when Dandy Don played..

Sjoseph316

Reaction score
Probably not. I find it interesting.

What I wonder is, those who defend Dak or Jerry so sincerely, how old are you? Reason why I'd like to know this is because if one has never experienced a Superbowl win live could be more inclined to say that a 12 win season is great despite the play off outcome.

And I'm not saying this in vain, I'm coming in peace here. Because I could understand where you guys are coming from in that case.

But if you're a guy like me who has witnessed what success really means (even though I was still very young back then in the 90s) I couldn't understand the acceptance of all that mediocrity of the (almost by now) last three decades.

A good regular season is not what the NFL is about. It's just a ticket to take part in the "real stuff". But it SHOULD also be a good indicator of what to expect in post season and the Cowboys have shown time and time again that they are more pretenders than contenders.
This is pretty much exactly what I was thinking

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Actually, I think it's a great question as long as we keep people on topic.
Right..

I wish we had more info on fans history. Where they are from, age, etc .

I try to always look at a members home page before responding. It’s important part of understanding their view and interest.

Fans of this younger generation are most likely going to have a different perspective or take . I find some of them very refreshing. Sometimes remind me of a kid back in the 60’s looking to winning our 1st championship but still loving the game despite the frustrations and heartbreaking disappointments.

When I’m around the younger generations in my family I try to be much more upbeat . Winning of course makes all of this more fun but the core value is our competitive spirit and the joy of the game itself.

Not everyone can be a fan of a great or championship team. Somebody has to be the diehards rooting on the lesser teams .

Like my father taught me in those early years . “It builds character supporting a loser . Anybody can root for a winner.”

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
They just assume a couple bad seasons means they get to win it all. But it most definitely does not work like that.
So you were completely missing my point, sorry. But since it has been made several times now, not just by me, there's no need to repeat it once again and run in circles here.

And yes you're right on that last sentence. Interestingly enough, this doesnt contradict anything I said even remotely. But okay, each to his own.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I don't remember the Ice Bowl myself. I was 2 or 3, then, I think. I did ask my mom maybe around 20 years after the Ice Bowl if she watched it, and she groaned. That loss was painful to her. My dad is 91 and my mom is 87. They started watching the Cowboys in their inaugural 1960 season, and went to some of those games at the Cotton Bowl. For me, my most painful game was the 1981 NFC Championship against the 49ers. That was made worse because there was this jerk kid at school who was a 49er fan, and had to be all obnoxious about it. The toughest losses are not the blowouts. They're the super close games where your team is about a half an inch away from winning, but the other team somehow pulls through. Now it's tough to see the 49ers being such a better team than the Cowboys. They're just run better. I wish I could say that my Cowboys were as good as they are, but it's just not true.
I wish Jerry would pay close attention to how teams like the 49ers and the Chiefs are run. They're just more smartly run.
The most heartbreaking losses are no doubt the championship losses.

When I begun attending road games in 1989 with the Dallas Cowboys Travel Club it was an awakening for me. I did that for several years.

Seeing first hand those fans in Detroit and New Orleans for example who’d at that time never sniffed even a championship game. They were still terrific diehard fans . It made quite an impression on me.

That’s what it’s all about. Supporting your local or regional team regardless their success .

Vabchshark

Reaction score
Who here has never seen a Super Bowl live, whether it be on the TV, or where ever? I know there are tons of us that have seen our Cowboys win a SB, but who here has not seen our Cowboy win one in real time.

Not the times you have seen one, but just the posters that have never witnessed our team win one?

I won't ask for your thoughts?
I've seen all 8 Super Bowls the boys have played in. The ones lost were especially hard to take, but at this point I would be happy to see them make it win or lose!