Who is in to... Photography?

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
Great stuff, Saltwater.

My wife works for a company that has an annual catalog that includes photographs of food products. Those shoots are brutal. They take up to three hours to set up one shot. Unbelievable.

Like the model images.

Meat-O-Rama

Vegetarians are so stupid.
Reaction score
tomson75;3500286 said:
Personally, I'd rather have the better camera and opt for a separate video camera. Shooting HD movies on a DSLR is nice, and a real consideration for choosing a camera with that option, but to make it the deciding factor seems pretty damn silly to me.

Either choice is pretty damn good though. Apples and Oranges.

I'm with you there. I want my camera to take pictures and I want my video camera to make movies. I don't complain about the quality of pictures on my video camera and I don't worry about the quality of the video on my camera.

You know the saying... Jack of all trades, master of none.

Meat-O-Rama

Reaction score
SaltwaterServr;3500418 said:
I shoot an older Fuji S3 Pro that will get upgraded to a pro-sumer Nikon one of these days. My best work isn't available for display for model disclosure reasons.

My first ever "photograph".

All those shots are great. Proof that it's not the camera, it's the photographer.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
26710_402761832132_723767132_4834148_1848754_n.jpg

40942_418944432132_723767132_5275471_2398847_n.jpg

23827_378733382132_723767132_4222772_7498711_n.jpg

23637_379082772132_723767132_4230519_3737063_n.jpg

24927_382790152132_723767132_4330552_37879_n.jpg

kmp77

Reaction score
tomson75;3500286 said:
Personally, I'd rather have the better camera and opt for a separate video camera. Shooting HD movies on a DSLR is nice, and a real consideration for choosing a camera with that option, but to make it the deciding factor seems pretty damn silly to me.

Either choice is pretty damn good though. Apples and Oranges.

If it can do both good, why not go that route? Not like the D90 is heads and shoulders better. Unless you're shooting super high fps photos, most dslrs are the same and can get the same results. Just put some decent glass on it and you're good to go.

kmp77

Reaction score
c0wb0y_m0nkey;3500638 said:
I'm with you there. I want my camera to take pictures and I want my video camera to make movies. I don't complain about the quality of pictures on my video camera and I don't worry about the quality of the video on my camera.

You know the saying... Jack of all trades, master of none.

You're little video camera can't shoot what DSLRs can. You can use any lens to shoot hd video and get the DOF of your choosing. Video cameras can't, that's part of the big craze now with DSLR video. To get the effect with a video camera, you have to put on a 35mm adapter.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
A co-worker just sent me this.

4912222.jpg

Co-owner Christian Petersen looks out of a window at his bicycle shop in Altlandsberg, north-east of Berlin August 17, 2010. The owners attached about 120 bicycles on the facade to advertise their shop.

CowboyWay

If Coach would have put me in, we'd a won State
Reaction score
Got into photography about a year ago after I posted a thread of Iraq photos. The photos were mesmerizing and got me involved into photography.

Since then I bought a Nikon D90, Nikon18-200mm lens, a Sigma 150mm macro lens, and a Tokina 11-16 wide angle lens.

Great stuff and I couldn't be happier with it all.

I'm currently scouring craigslist to find some studio strobe lights.

Meat-O-Rama

Reaction score
CowboyWay;3500757 said:
Nikon18-200mm lens

That's the lens I want. Right now I have the 18-55 and 55-200, seems like I am always switching or have the wrong lens. I've used a friend's 18-200 a couple of times and love it. So damn 'spensive though

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
kmp77;3500735 said:
If it can do both good, why not go that route? Not like the D90 is heads and shoulders better. Unless you're shooting super high fps photos, most dslrs are the same and can get the same results. Just put some decent glass on it and you're good to go.

...and that's admirable, but like I said...personally, I put a much greater emphasis on still photography for my SLR. I like the feature, but I view it more of a bonus than a need. It will be nice to have when something comes up that needs to be captured in movie format when I don't have a dedicated video camera.

I do. I own a GL2 which does a far superior job than any DSLR would do. That's why I choose the D90 over the Canon. In this particular comparison, I simply liked the quality, capabilities, and features of the D90 more than the T2i....and the D90 was at the top of my price range. I disagree about DSLRs being the same, and while both of these options are obviously terrific cameras, I think the D90 wins out convincingly if you don't need the 1080p and external mic. I'll admit that the T2i's price almost got me....Canon's next step was a little too much.

If I didn't have a video dedicated camera, and I needed one but couldn't afford two camera platforms....the T2i would likely be the obvious choice.

CowboyWay

If Coach would have put me in, we'd a won State
Reaction score
c0wb0y_m0nkey;3500764 said:
That's the lens I want. Right now I have the 18-55 and 55-200, seems like I am always switching or have the wrong lens. I've used a friend's 18-200 a couple of times and love it. So damn 'spensive though

It really is the "go to" lens. I rarely if ever take it off. The thing is so versatile, you can use it for anything. Unless I want the wide angle lens, or macro, there is no reason to use anything else. At least for me.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
tomson75;3499546 said:
Thought I'd bump this bad boy....just got a Nikon D90. Pretty stoked so far. Tough call between that and the Canon 50D, but the addition of HD video, a user friendlier flash, and a lower cost prevailed.

I'd love to here more about RAW formatting. I no longer have CS or Photoshop...is there any other way to work with it at home or directly on the camera (I obviously haven't finished reading the manual)? Or is RAW something I should use when I'm planning on taking shots to a pro for larger display?

Anyway...I'd love to see some more shots added to this thread.

You can basically edit down to the individual pixel level in raw. Much more post processing ability.

Check out GIMP. You can download it for free and it is a very powerful photo editing tool.

Your camera didn't come with any processing software?

Arch Stanton

it was the grave marked unknown right beside
Reaction score
Chief;2562151 said:
I'm not up on the technical side, but I love photography, especially black and white.

I used to spend hours upon hours in the darkroom. My camera of choice in the old days was a Canon A-1.

I have a Kodak digital camera that I'm still getting used to.

I also used a Canon A-1, and had a 35-105 lens. I used it for years, then I traded it in and have succumbed to the digital age. I now use a Panasonic TZ7. I like to use the widescreen function and got a couple of nice shots of the Cowboys Stadium day and night.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
The great thing about Nikon is that there are a ton of different lenses to choose from. With Nikon, everything is all proprietary and you have very little room to improvise (plus it cost a lot more for the same thing usually). My wife got for her D90 a lense that is like 15 years old and was made for a 35 mm camera. She saved a lot of money on it.

SaltwaterServr

Blank Paper Offends Me
Reaction score
c0wb0y_m0nkey;3500640 said:
All those shots are great. Proof that it's not the camera, it's the photographer.

Oh the camera is great. It had the best dynamic range of any DSLR under $5K when I bought it, second only to the Canon 1Ds Mark II. In some situations, it was better than the Canon. It excels at skin tone and color rendition.

For those not familiar with Fuji DSLR's, they use Fuji chips and sensors, but Nikon bodies.

It sucks because RAW images are 25 mb files. Yeah, you read that right, 25 megabytes a pop. It also shoots really slow, somewhere around 3 shots per second when you are shooting with all the things you bought the camera for turned off. Not a sports shooter, not a low light shooter.

I think I've had it 5 years or so. I haven't done a shoot in about 2 years. I had a friend who I was working with to get her portfolio put together. Natural at it, had a real career ahead of her in modelling. She was a passenger in a car and was killed on my birthday in a drunk driving accident. Less than two months later the model in my shots above was brutally raped the night before we were to do a fashion shoot for an agency here in San Antonio.

Never felt the desire to pick it up since.