Who is more clutch. Tony or Dak?

starfan1

Reaction score
This is why raw stats say nothing

The reason Prescott had to throw nearly 40 times, the reason he had over 300+ yards - 1. Packers D was a joke 2. He put us in a hole early that it went away from what we did all year long to win games

"Other players also being responsible" doesn't take away Dak was part of the problem. Oh, and I also criticized Mahomes for this against the Pats as well. If you start a game slow to the point you have to crawl back into it and end up taking the L, you are still the problem because starting slow alters the gameplan you came in with.

Either way, doesn't really change that he wasn't "clutch" in that game.
easy to focus on the negative did he do anything good for you? Do you think dak lost that game soley? Like I said i think most fans would be ok with those stats from a QB regardless of the name and point to more than just 1 reason for the loss.

That said perhaps you evaluate differently than others.

plasticman

Reaction score
With 5 minutes left in the game and down by 7 or less including ties:

Dak rating is 81.9
Romo is 83.9

However:

Dak completes only 50% compared to Romo's 61.8% although Dak has not thrown an INT under these conditions with 3 TD's. Romo is 9-9 TD to INT ratio. Also, Dak actually has a higher 1st down ratio.

Besides this, Dak has been far more of a running threat at the end of a ballgame, averaging over 7 yards a carry with a TD and 3 1st downs compared to Romo's average of 1.9 yards and one 1st down.

If we wanted to be more fair then we would compare their first three seasons as starters. Romo's rating is now 69.8.

Of course we could include the fact that in Romo's first three seasons as an NFL player, 2003 to 2005, he did not throw a single pass.

Dak is far more polished in the clutch at this point in his career. In addition, he is a far better leader at this point, he has a much better understanding of maximizing opportunity.

I feel better about our chances in clutch situations in elimination type games. Romo was labeled a "choker", fair or not. Nobody has used that label when it comes to Dak. He is a multidimensional playmaker late in games with the outcome in question .

mattjames2010

Reaction score
easy to focus on the negative did he do anything good for you? Do you think dak lost that game soley? Like I said i think most fans would be ok with those stats from a QB regardless of the name and point to more than just 1 reason for the loss.

That said perhaps you evaluate differently than others.

Someone brought up that he was clutch, he wasn't clutch. Whatever "good" you think he did in that game, it did not translate into him being "clutch". Playing catch up all game is not "clutch", he had a chance to score and put us ahead...he didn't, we settled for a field goal.

Rodgers got his team into field goal range with an amazing throw we'll have to see in highlights for years to come, and the Packers took the W. That's clutch.

dfense

Reaction score
The Cowboys defense and run game has propped Dak up a lot. They are usually a field goal ahead or behind in the 4th quarter. Remember Beasley making that awesome catch against the Giants at the end of the regular season?

That was Dak's first TD throw in the last 2 minutes of a regular season game, ever. 46 games. He may be more clutch just driving the bus, running, etc.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Cowboys defense and run game has propped Dak up a lot. They are usually a field goal ahead or behind in the 4th quarter. Remember Beasley making that awesome catch against the Giants at the end of the regular season?

That was Dak's first TD throw in the last 2 minutes of a regular season game, ever. 46 games. He may be more clutch just driving the bus, running, etc.

If the above is True then it's worse than even I thought!!!
Wouldn't surprise me though as if it looks like a Dak,get sacked like a Dak, fumbles like a Dak, it's a DAK.......All aboard!!!!

eromeopolk

Reaction score
I know is a much reduced sampling size for Dak but, the arrow is pointed upward for Dak at this point for me.

What say you?
Neither. They have not done what Danny White did as a QB three times in a row...win a Divisional Playoff Game.

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
Neither. They have not done what Danny White did as a QB three times in a row...win a Divisional Playoff Game.
wow. that is a wake up call. Up to then as a Cowboys fan the Danny White area was a disappointment. Wow, was we spoiled.

Number1

Reaction score
How about that no one would say Dak is "incredibly accurate"? Also this whole "less mistake prone" - Dak is ultra conservative, which is why he doesn't have a high amount of TD throws either. His conservative playstyle impacts both TD and INTs, which is why he's like an Alex Smith.

Dak is incredibly accurate when throwing on the move

he is "miss prone" - odd - he'll complete 30 nice passes and flat miss 2 easy throws a game
he's like a pitcher that's good for 10 Ks in a big game, but might hit 2 batters by accident

he also suffers from sack shock ... does weird things late in the pocket
by mid season he was down right twitchy - I fear it may always be part of him - 56 sack season can leave mental scars

Dak's so called style is limited by the play calling, it's not like Dak doesn't take deep shots when called
and has a more than decent 47% comp when he does

go look at his long ball numbers:
2016 - 20+ 38, 40+ 8
2017 - 20+ 34, 40+ 8
2018 - 20+ 39, 40+ 9

that's scheme - not the player
notice almost 1 in 4 of his deep passes go for 40+, 1 is 3 is considered good

this O is easily fixed, in part because of Dak's skill set, go deep

ShortRound

Reaction score
Clutch like in regular season games? Lol get to the super bowl then we can talk “clutch” neither won crap.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Tony was clutch but as someone said earlier, also snakebit. Too much was in his hands too often so he was bound to be so as a matter of probability. He was one of the most deserving of a Super Bowl QBs to never win one. Even Jerry Jones knows this as he's said many times that getting Tony a Super Bowl was one of his biggest football regrets. There are others like Marino and Fouts just to name a few, great HOF QBs who couldn't win a Super Bowl because of the teams they were on but were damn well deserving of one.

I don't know how anyone can hate on Romo. He went from undrafted free agent QB to earning the starter position on America's Team to become one of the best QBs in the game. He's the very definition of American's Team and the American Dream.

dfense

Reaction score
Tony was clutch but as someone said earlier, also snakebit. Too much was in his hands too often so he was bound to be so as a matter of probability. He was one of the most deserving of a Super Bowl QBs to never win one. Even Jerry Jones knows this as he's said many times that getting Tony a Super Bowl was one of his biggest football regrets. There are others like Marino and Fouts just to name a few, great HOF QBs who couldn't win a Super Bowl because of the teams they were on but were damn well deserving of one.

I don't know how anyone can hate on Romo. He went from undrafted free agent QB to earning the starter position on America's Team to become one of the best QBs in the game. He's the very definition of American's Team and the American Dream.
Tony also did not have a defense worth a crap for most of his career. It was rediculous how many times teams just went up and down the field on them.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
He's better at running in a straight line, but I wouldn't say he's a better athlete at all. Romo was much better with his arm and far more quick and shifty in the pocket.
It doesn't make Prescott a better QB, but he is more athletic than Romo. He's bigger, stronger, faster and in better shape. He is a much better running, not just in a straight line. Romo was elusive at times, but that trick got him injured on a few occasions. But those few escapes don't make him a better athlete.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
How quickly they forget...
Against the Eagles. Dak Prescott pulls a classic Tony Romo spin-out hits Jason Witten in the end zone for a touchdown. How quickly people forget

HungryLion

Reaction score

I hate that stupid stat. It discounts overtime touchdowns and running touchdowns. Last I checked if you throw a touchdown in OT. That touchdown came in the last two minutes of the game.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Dak is incredibly accurate when throwing on the move

he is "miss prone" - odd - he'll complete 30 nice passes and flat miss 2 easy throws a game
he's like a pitcher that's good for 10 Ks in a big game, but might hit 2 batters by accident

he also suffers from sack shock ... does weird things late in the pocket
by mid season he was down right twitchy - I fear it may always be part of him - 56 sack season can leave mental scars

Dak's so called style is limited by the play calling, it's not like Dak doesn't take deep shots when called
and has a more than decent 47% comp when he does

go look at his long ball numbers:
2016 - 20+ 38, 40+ 8
2017 - 20+ 34, 40+ 8
2018 - 20+ 39, 40+ 9

that's scheme - not the player
notice almost 1 in 4 of his deep passes go for 40+, 1 is 3 is considered good

this O is easily fixed, in part because of Dak's skill set, go deep

Dak's deep ball accuracy is misleading because the amount of attempts are low.

jrumann59

Reaction score
There's a stat out that Dak killed Wentz in 4th quarter comeback, so I'd say Dak has the skillset over Tony at this time in their careers.

Remember, when Tony was in his third year he was still turning the ball over.....that Bills game he had 5!!!!
but he still managed to get them into game winning FG position.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Romo had a larger body of work and had many clutch plays. The Buffalo game on Monday Night Football where he singlehandedly willed the team into position for the GW field goal was just epic. Haven't seen anything like that YET from Dak. Have to go with Tony right now,but Daks story is still being written..he's just in chapter 1. lol