Who is more clutch. Tony or Dak?

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
This is so stupid. Comparing Romo with Dak. Tony actually MADE plays with his arm. Dak does make passes and runs for first late in the game. It is such a big difference. It is not even close.

Dak does not make plays with his arm. Dak is very efficient in the 4th qtr.
Not comparing at all kind sir. Simply, who is more clutch. Their style of play is much different, I agree.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Actually Folk made 2 FGs, because the Bills called a TO just as he kicked the 1st 50 yarder, so he had to do it again.

A win is a win and it actually counts as a 4th quarter comeback. See how they can be skewed.
It's a horrible example of being clutch. Just because it was a comeback doesn't equate Romo to being clutch.

At the time, and I remember well, fans threw Romo under the bus. Fans in droves bashed him for 6 turnovers. For some reason, his retirement converted him into legendary status and will literally say anything to defend him. Very odd.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Not comparing at all kind sir. Simply, who is more clutch. Their style of play is much different, I agree.

Easy then, Romo is more clutch and it is not even close. Fourth qtr and a team is behind, the defense plays soft. Dak takes the 5-10 yarders that are wide open, then he runs for a 1st here and there.

He's opportunistic, not really clutch. 5 of Daks 8 4QC were in 2016 and since then he has had 3 I believe. He was much better in 2016. It was 14 GWD which could have happenned in the 3rd qtr or 4th qtr and not near the same.

starfan1

Reaction score
How bout neither one has still got an opportunity the other can talk about it

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
I know is a much reduced sampling size for Dak but, the arrow is pointed upward for Dak at this point for me.

What say you?
I say great question, because they're both obviously clutch QB. In Romo's case, his clutchness wasn't widely recognized, and ironically he had the reputation of being a choker for a long time. Dak's clutchness seems to be recognized more, for some reason. Maybe because his play late in close games is such a contrast to his play over the first 3 quarters?

Late & Close
4th qtr/OT, margin 8 pts or less
2006-14
1 Rodgers 103.0
2 Romo 100.2
3 PManning 97.9
4 EManning 91.9
5 Brees 90.9

2016-18
1 Wilson 111.2
2 Brady 110.4
3 Prescott 108.3
4 Rthlsbrgr 108.3
5 Ryan 106.8

Swagger

Reaction score
We never took the lead in the GB game, and he helped put us in the hole.

Clutch - Rodgers making a brilliant throw to Cook to put his team into field goal position for the W

Not clutch - Dak getting the ball knocked down at the line of scrimmage so we have to settle for a FG and a tie

One wins you the game, the other gave the team the opportunity to score....which they did.

Good points and the most obvious one being that Prescott helped put us in a hole which we could ultimately get out of and we never took the lead.

Swagger

Reaction score
The most important questions here is...imagine what Dak Prescott would have looked like with the type of defenses that Tony Romo had to endure?

I.e. Prescott would not have had the safety blanket of the defense helping him out on occasions giving him more chances to win so he would have had to commit the same risk that Romo did - the only way to win those games was to be a gunslinger - who would look more clutch out of Prescott and Romo in that scenario?

This isn't a criticism of Prescott - but merely an observation (I await getting panned by the Prescott lovers).

Wood

Reaction score
I know is a much reduced sampling size for Dak but, the arrow is pointed upward for Dak at this point for me.

What say you?

they have combined 3 playoff wins and have never advanced past 2nd round of playoffs - so I would say neither so far.

dfense

Reaction score
I hate that stupid stat. It discounts overtime touchdowns and running touchdowns. Last I checked if you throw a touchdown in OT. That touchdown came in the last two minutes of the game.
That's true, it does discount those TD's.

Big_D

Reaction score
How about about the Oline and Zeke? There's a monumental difference. Sure Murray had his moment in 2014, but he's no Elliott. Dak has a long term solution at back and line even though the coaches still don't know when to run? But the front office is making much smarter decisions and the team talent wise is much better! Dak isn't dealing with the Roy WIlliams trade or drafting guys like Felix Jones or getting his LT when he's 32. LOL The deck was stacked against one QB while the other is in a much better position to succeed.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
How about about the Oline and Zeke? There's a monumental difference. Sure Murray had his moment in 2014, but he's no Elliott. Dak has a long term solution at back and line even though the coaches still don't know when to run? But the front office is making much smarter decisions and the team talent wise is much better! Dak isn't dealing with the Roy WIlliams trade or drafting guys like Felix Jones or getting his LT when he's 32. LOL The deck was stacked against one QB while the other is in a much better position to succeed.
this is a point I have argued for a while. not defending Romo or Criticizing Dak. But man, in 2016 he walked into one of the best situations in football. an all time great OL. a great RB, Dez, Witten. that was a solid team.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
this is a point I have argued for a while. not defending Romo or Criticizing Dak. But man, in 2016 he walked into one of the best situations in football. an all time great OL. a great RB, Dez, Witten. that was a solid team.
Prescott went from taking 3rd string snaps to starting. He stepped up and played well, remember - he was a rookie thrown in.
You would think that some fans would be more appreciative. he didn't get to sit and learn for 3 years.
And when Romo got his start - it was a playoff caliber team. Had he not screwed up, Dallas could have very well went deep in the playoffs going by the teams that advanced in the NFC.
Romo had HOF players to catch for him. Prescott had 2 at the end of their careers. All teams need great players around the QB, it's how the NFL works. It's not Romo's fault that he didn't have the current team, but it's not Prescott's either.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Why do so many of us speak of Tony Romo as a QB in the present tense? He played in the past, not the present. There's no real point in being unrealistic, here. Tony, the QB, is done.

Aside from that, it's just a matter of opinion which one was the most "clutch." You'll hear fans laud one about as much as the other. Seems pretty much a waste of time, imho. :rolleyes:

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Prescott went from taking 3rd string snaps to starting. He stepped up and played well, remember - he was a rookie thrown in.
You would think that some fans would be more appreciative. he didn't get to sit and learn for 3 years.
And when Romo got his start - it was a playoff caliber team. Had he not screwed up, Dallas could have very well went deep in the playoffs going by the teams that advanced in the NFC.
Romo had HOF players to catch for him. Prescott had 2 at the end of their careers. All teams need great players around the QB, it's how the NFL works. It's not Romo's fault that he didn't have the current team, but it's not Prescott's either.
oh, no I am not dismissing that. he did well. he did what he was asked to do. made occasional plays. minimized his mistakes. leaned on the team and running game. that was great. he had the leadership skills in being able to go into a situation like that and step up. but my point was it wasn't as if he was inserted into a team like the Bills, or cinci. he had the supporting cast to help him and allow him to lean on them.

this is not a Romo vs. Dak comparison.

GMO415

Reaction score
I turned that gamr off I was so mad...still can't believe they won it....
For some reason....I kept hope alive and kept it on. Hey, any Dallas football is good. We only get 16 a year.