Who Is Our 2nd String Nt??

Big Dakota

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;1479649 said:
Ratliff. Cowboys had the best interior defense in the NFL against the run last year, so obviously it wasn't that big of a problem.

Funny how far Montavous Stanley fell in the eyes of the posters. Last year at this time everyone was frothing at the mouth over him. So a 6th round draft pick didn't come in as a rookie and tear it up. Now people can't get rid of him fast enough.

Not me, i'm still hoping he lives up to Boylhart's hype:)

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;1479649 said:
Ratliff. Cowboys had the best interior defense in the NFL against the run last year, so obviously it wasn't that big of a problem.

Funny how far Montavous Stanley fell in the eyes of the posters. Last year at this time everyone was frothing at the mouth over him. So a 6th round draft pick didn't come in as a rookie and tear it up. Now people can't get rid of him fast enough.
Your interpretation is at odds with the impressions of many, particularly as the season wore on and took its toll on Ferguson.

Stanley was CUT last year, despite the team not having a true 2nd NT. That's hardly a ringing endorsement.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Big Dakota;1479657 said:
Thanks, he might be worth watching?
Next game on NFLN: Frankfurt @ Amsterdam, May 6 @ 9 am EST (live).

DBoys

Reaction score
DallasEast;1479638 said:
With Spears at NT and Ellis at DE? For how many downs per game, in your opinion?

Few and far between but read my post before you jump all over it.

I said they could use ;)

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
jobberone;1479643 said:
Stanley is supposed to be talented enough. He just doesn't put forthe the effort allegedly. Ayodele's brother is on the team I believe. They obviously aren't as concerned about it as you are.

Stanley needs to add some strength

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
DBoys;1479718 said:
And my response was simply we used it before and no one ran straight after it.

Our run D was very good last year.
But it was as good against run with Ferguson starting and Ratliff substituting for him. IMO, Spears/Ratliff at NT and Ellis (who is not a 3-4 defensive end) at DE would be very attractive for offenses to run against because it would not be as sturdy with Ferguson manning the middle of the defense line commanding two blockers.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
ZeroClub;1479666 said:
Your interpretation is at odds with the impressions of many, particularly as the season wore on and took its toll on Ferguson.

Its not my interpretation, its statistical fact. Football Outsiders said Cowboys had the lowest ypc against between the tackles of any team in the NFL. It was the pass defense and outside run containment that fell apart. Especially when Al Singleton was brought in to replace Ellis.

Wade Phillips used 295 Ed Jasper as his NT at Atlanta, and he played very well for him. Just because he inherited a 365 lbs. lard arse at San Diego doesn't mean he has to have one to effectively run his defense. He certainly didn't seem overly concerned about it at the press conference.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
DallasEast;1479648 said:
Ellis is absent because of his injury, but I don't see Spears in the rotation at NT...

That's why I said, "If an emergency." ;)

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
Whether or not Ferguson is a good NT is not the point here. The fact that he's not getting any younger is. We need to find someone to eventually replace him. Personally, I think ferguson's a stud...one of my favorite "Parcells" additions...but how long can he last. We don't have anyone on this roster whos skillset matches that of a true NT (perhaps Stanley, but given how quickly we dismissed him last year, how can we count on him?). We need one.

NickZepp

Reaction score
I think the good thing about having two first round picks next year is that we can address DT a year from now. Same with the WR position if we lose 2 of Glenn, TO, and/or Crayton.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
NickZepp;1479803 said:
I think the good thing about having two first round picks next year is that we can address DT a year from now. Same with the WR position if we lose 2 of Glenn, TO, and/or Crayton.

If that's the route we choose to go...then so be it. As long as its addressed sooner rather than later. Me personally, I'd rather get someone in camp this year, even if he is a project, and save those two picks for someone like McFadden. Using a first on a NT is a bit much...unless the guy is an absolute monster...like eat your children and floss with rebar type monster.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
InmanRoshi;1479750 said:
Its not my interpretation, its statistical fact. Football Outsiders said Cowboys had the lowest ypc against between the tackles of any team in the NFL. It was the pass defense and outside run containment that fell apart. Especially when Al Singleton was brought in to replace Ellis.

Wade Phillips used 295 Ed Jasper as his NT at Atlanta, and he played very well for him. Just because he inherited a 365 lbs. lard arse at San Diego doesn't mean he has to have one to effectively run his defense. He certainly didn't seem overly concerned about it at the press conference.
Just for curiosity's sake, do you have any Football Outsiders data on Atlanta's run defense from 2002 & 2003 while Phillips was DC there? NFL.com's stats--

http://www.nfl.com/stats/teamsort/NFL/DEF-RUSHING/2002/regular?sort_col_1=7

http://www.nfl.com/stats/teamsort/NFL/DEF-RUSHING/2003/regular?sort_col_1=7

--from those two seasons with Jasper at NT were ranked 23rd against the run & 15th in first downs allowed in 2002 and 29th against the run & 28th in first downs allowed in 2003. Just curious how F.O.'s much closer statistical analysis compared.

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;1479750 said:

Statistics are not facts. Statistics are data. We interpret data. Your interpretation of the data is at odds with the interpretations of many others.

It is true that Philips, at the press conference, did not seem overly concerned about depth at the NT position.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There is no question that having Stanley step up and win the job would be the best thing for the Cowboys. Hopefully this off season he will get the proper guidance from Phillips to make that possible. We can't count on Ferg holding up all year again.

Additionally, we may change our offensive philosophy some to help this situation. Under Parcells, the playing not to lose or playing close games and winning them at the end put undo pressure on the defense. By going for the kill earlier in games, maybe we can actually build a lead and let the young guys get some snaps in the 4th quarter.

We will need that experience once we get into the playoffs and in case of injury as the season goes on.

fanfromvirginia

Inconceivable!
Reaction score
I have wanted a backup for/challenger to Ferguson for a couple years. I'll get over it -- this was a good draft. Aren't there typically old, fat-*** NTs available after June?

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
The fact that Stanley was cut means he wasn't good enough at the time to be backup. Or did he get caught up in a numbers game? Did they release him and use Ratliff at NT despite the fact Ratliff is not a NT? Just to ensure Ratliff and others who were most costly weren't lost?

The fact Stanley was brought back means something, too. The fact he's still on the team means something as well. I don't care whether Stanley is our backup NT or not. As long as we have a backup is all I care about right now. They obviously aren't that worried about it. That means they are happy enough with Stanley and others they didn't draft a NT. And that would include moving up, trading for one, yada.

I get your point. I too am concerned about the fact our only proven NT is getting older. Hopefully Stanley or another person on the team is ready to backup.